Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PDC Darts World Championships Thread - (Contains Scores)

• 19-12-2006 11:22am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it was a good first days darts at the Circus Tavern where three seeds went out and Irish man Mick McGowan went through. Today sees more of the big names enter the tournament as Barney plays the 16 year old Aussie Qualifier Mitchell Clegg, Colin Lloyd also plays and so does Arian Lewis, who many people think has a great chance of winning the tournament.

Here are todays games:
    [I]Afternoon Session[/I]

Mark Walsh v Rico Vonck  1pm

Barrie Bates v Brian Cyr  2pm

Bob Anderson v Darren Webster  3pm

Denis Ovens v Steve Smith  4pm

[I]Evening Session[/I]

Alan Warriner-Little v Alan Tabern  7pm

Colin Lloyd v Tomas Seyler  8pm

Raymond van Barneveld v Mitchell Clegg  9pm

Adrian Lewis v Anthony Fleet  10pm

Should be another great day of darts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Gutted Anderson lost :( . You could tell from the very first leg he wasn't up for it. Thought when he won the 3rd set he'd make a game of it but not to be. Poor old Mark Walsh has had it i'm afraid, doubt we'll be seeing him again.
    Fair play to the 16 year old. Didn't let the occasion get to him and put in some big scores, just needs to improve his doubles.
    Rico Vonk has potential and could be the dark horse of the tournament.
    Loydy was lucky in the first set but got his act together after that.

:D Some good darts overall so roll on the rest of the week!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Day 2 Results:
    Mark Walsh 0 Rico Vonck 3
    Barrie Bates 2 Brian Cyr 3
    Bob Anderson 1 Darren Webster 3
    Denis Ovens 3 Steve Smith 0

Alan Warriner-Little 0 Alan Tabern 3
    Colin Lloyd 3 Tomas Seyler 0
    Raymond van Barneveld 3 Mitchell Clegg 0
    Adrian Lewis 3 Anthony Fleet 0

Todays Matches:
    17 1pm Wayne Jones v Ian Branks
    18 2pm Lionel Sams v Dave Ladley
    19 3pm Colin Monk v Per Laursen
    20 4pm Andy Hamilton v Gary Welding

21 7pm Steve Beaton v Gerry Convery
    22 8pm Dennis Priestley v Josephus Schenk
    23 9pm Wayne Mardle v Alan Caves
    24 10pm James Wade v Warren French

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The shock of the day was the exit of Barrie Bates against the Canadian qualifier Bryan Cyr. Cyr wasnt a bad player at all but Bates has been good this year and will be very disappointed to go out in the first round. Bob Anderson losing was also a bit of a shock. He supposedly had a shoulder injury which caused him problems but he just wasnt at the races at all.

All the evening games went as expected, maybe with the exception of Alan Taberns 3-0 win against Warriner-Little. There is no denying that Tabern is a good player but I dont think anyone expected him to go through so easily. All the other results were as expected but Thomas Seyler should have won the first set against Lloyd and that would have made it a totally different match. Fair play to 16 year old Mitchell Clegg as he put up a good show against Barney and could have won the first set. Adrian Lewis cruised through past Anthony Fleet in which was almost a practice match for him.

So not as exciting as Monday nights darts but at least all the top players are through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Here are todays results:
    [I]Afternoon Session[/I]
    Dave Askew 3-2 Martin Burchell
    Andy Smith 3-0 Shi Yongsheng
    Wes Newton 3-0 Tetsuya Wada
    Andy Jenkins 3-1 Bill Davis

[I]Evening Session[/I]
    Mark Dudbridge 3-1 John Kuczynski
    Roland Scholten 3-0 Ron Miller
    Kevin Painter 1-3 Colin Osborne
    Alex Roy v Richie Burnett

No surprises except Painter being knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Burnett got hammered 3-0 as well. Think its time for Richie to hang up his flights. The Prince of Wales has become The Pauper of Wales. A pale shadow of his former self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Am I the only one here that is surprised that Wayne Mardle lost to Alan Caves 2 days ago??

No results even published for it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

cast_iron wrote:
    Am I the only one here that is surprised that Wayne Mardle lost to Alan Caves 2 days ago??
    Not really Mardle should concentrate on his darts and not being a showman!

cast_iron wrote:

No results even published for it.....

Yeah I was surprised enough but Caves is a solid enough player and Mardle has his off days where he just drops his head. As Carrickman says though, he should concentrate on his darts more instead of trying to entertain the crowd. Im disappointed that he lost because I wanted to see him live again but it wasnt to be.

So today sees the start of the Second round matches. The schedule for today is:
    12.10pm Vonck v Cyr

2pm Lewis v Jones

3.30pm T Jenkins v Beaton

6.10pm Manley v Havenga

7.45pm Mason v Part

9.15pm Lloyd v van Barneveld

10.45pm Gray v Webster

So great matches with the obvious standouts being Mason against Part and Barney against Lloyd. Mason and Part had a great match last year and its impossible to predict a winner. If both players play their best then we are in for very high quality encounter. If Mason can keep his head I think he might just do it. Barney against Lloyd should be another classic. Lloyd was always considered the second best player in PDC but since Barney has come over he has taken much of Lloyds spotlight and Lloyd has struggles. I think Lloyd will be putting everything he has into this match and if he plays his best then he could beat Barney. I expect this one to go the distance.

What a day of darts we were treated to yesterday. Here is the results:
    Rico Vonck 4-2 Brian Cyr
    Adrian Lewis 4-3 Wayne Jones
    Terry Jenkins 4-3 Steve Beaton

Peter Manley 3-4 Wynand Havenga
    Chris Mason 4-2 John Part
    Colin Lloyd 3-4 Raymond van Barneveld
    Adrian Gray 1-4 Darren Webste

There were some fantastic matches last night with one huge shock. We had everything last night. Congratulations to Havenga who defied all the odds to knock out Peter Manley. Manley just wasnt on form but when Havenga went 3-0 up and Manley came back I thought Manley would take it but Havenga showed great spirit to get his game back together and win. I think he fully deserved to go through.

Mason and Part didnt quite live up to its billing because I thought Part was off his game. Mason didnt play to his full potential either but he did enough to knock Part out.

Then we had that boring old Colin Lloyd v Barney match :D What a game. Sheer brilliance. Lloyd was brilliant in the first 3 sets as he stormed into a 3-0 lead. Barney looked off his game and he was rocked. But what about the comeback he mounted. He averaged 110 in the fourth set and he had darts in all the legs Lloyd threw first in in the fifth set. He evntually won it 3-2 and then took the sixth as well. The final set went the whole way with Barney winning it 6-5. Both players played some magical darts. Its probably up there with the best matches I have ever seen. Im delighted Barney won through because I have never seen him live and I want to. He seems to be becoming a crowd favourite now as well.

Every match yesterday was entertaining and I have to mention Adrian Lewis who hit 13 180's in beating Wayne Jones 4-3 in another cracker.

Cant wait for Stephens Day now when we can all watch Mick McGowan knocking out the Power.

So the darts are back on our TV screens today. Here is the lineup:
    6pm Start
    Denis Ovens v Alan Tabern
    Mark Dudbridge v Andy Hamilton
    Phil Taylor v Mick McGowan
    Alan Caves v Dave Askew

Obviously the big game of the day is Taylor against McGowan. All Irish eyes will be on McGowan as he takes on the greatest ever player. McGowan has the ability to beat Taylor as he showed when he beat him just 5 weeks ago. the big question is whether McGowan show his ability on the big stage. I really hope he can give Taylor a good game.

I think the Dudbrifge Hamilton game could be very good as well. Dudbridge has been poor in TV tournaments this year but he certainly has the ability. As does Andy Hamilton so I think it will be a high quality match.

Glad to have darts back on the TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement