Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have a core2duo dimension e520, psu needed for good gfx?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hi, just picked up a 7800GTX on adverts, and I am wondering will I need to upgrade my PSU in a dell dimension e520, if so, any recommendations to which will a: fit into a dell, and b: be nice and quiet, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

afaik u can only use dell psu's... They use there own non std connections.. or they used to.. What power is ur psu?? Should be a lable on it somwhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm in a similar situation myself and after doing a quick bit of research came acroos the following on another site:

"The PSUs that Dell uses tend to be rated conservatively. Unless you go for a truly bleeding edge video card it will likely work."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks was gonna give it a try with the stock psu, checked the back, it has 230 on a red plastic tab, presumably the power rating, will i get away with it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, that's not it. It's probably either 350w or 375w, and Dell psus are always underrated. I ran a card that required a minimum of 400w on my old 350w Dell psu, and it ran fine even under load in games.

Google reveals the E520 has a 305w PSU - For that, I wouldn't risk a 7800GTX to be honest. It needs about a 400w psu, it'll probably work on the stock one in your E520 but under load things who knows how it'll perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ok thanks, guess i'll try ebay for one, would it damage the card or just not perform well ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement