Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular Saver Accounts

Options
  • 19-12-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

My query is about saving the maximum permitted amount in the array of regular saver accounts paying interest in excess of 6% rather than making extra capital mortgage repayments as the return is greater.

One can also open accounts in their childrens' names. I know BoI and AIB allow this. Could there be any problems associated with this? As a thought, say if you did open accounts in childrens' names and then at a later decided to use the savings to pay off the mortgage or for another purpose, would there be a gift tax liability ie child to parent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I think the rule is that as long as your not giving ur child more than 40k per yr as a gift then its not taxable, but you might want to check that one out. However Im not sure you can then go and say "I want my money back"....

Advertisement