Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Preggers During Period?

• 19-12-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I got my period Thursday last week. It normally lasts about 5-7 days. Regular as clock work (28 day cycle). I had unprotected sex on Sunday twice (long term partner). By Monday my period was gone. I was always under the illusion that you could not get pregnant during your period.

Is it possible? If I have a 28 day cycle, surely I wouldnt ovulate until at least day 14-17.

I know you are not doctors, but just wondering if anyone had any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i do believeit is possible to get pregnant during your period.

can anyone else confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

It's possible to get pregnant at any stage during your cycle just less likely during you period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Technically it is possible to get pregnant during your period but if you have a regular 28 day cycle it is highly unlikely. If, for example, you have a cycle which only lasts 21 says then it is probable that ovulation will occur on day 7 rather than day 14. Given that sperm, in the right conditions, can survive for 3+ days (I’m not sure exactly) then it would be possible to get pregnant from very early on in the cycle.. Given that you have a regular as clockwork cycle then it is highly unlikely that you have become pregnant on this occasion. Do bear in mind that women’s cycles can and do change from time to time so unprotected sex is a big risk to take at any time if pregnancy is something that you are avoiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thanks for the replies.

I have never had a period as short as this in my life! I am not looking to get pregnant, but If I did, it will be ok - we are normally very careful, just thought that not using protection at this time of month would be ok - I mean, I was 3 days into my period, I have a regular 28 day cycle - the is no way I could be pregnant!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It is possible.

It's relatively unlikely, but it's certainly possible.

The "rhythm method" weighs the odds, but is not reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Medicine isn't an exact science unfortunately. As such, you can get pregnant at any time in your cycle, although some times are more likely than others. You still have time to go and get the morning after pill so I would recommend you do so immediately and take the necessary precautions in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Preggers? wrote:
    I mean, I was 3 days into my period, I have a regular 28 day cycle - the is no way I could be pregnant!'

Yes there is

'Thanks for the replies.

Would it be too early to do a pregnancy test at this stage?

I am not looking to get pregnant. Getting pregnant wouldnt be intentional, but I am not going to get the morning after pill.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

In a nutshell...
    In any normal 28 cycle most women ovulate around day 14 (could be days 12-15). Given that sperm can live in the right conditions for 3-5 days that means that normally any sexual intercourse from day 7 onwards could result in pregnancy. If a person has a shorter cycle then that then obviously a woman could get pregnant even earlier than this. Given that cycles can and do change for no particular reason and can't really be predicted it really is most sensible to use protection/ contraception at all times.

If however, at whatever stage of the cycle the sperm does meet and fertilise the egg it takes some time for the fertilised egg to travel to and implant in the womb. As far as I know this usually takes 6 to 10 days. It is only when implantation occurs that the production of the pregnancy hormone HcG starts. This is the hormone that is picked up in the pregnancy test. There usually isn't enough of this hormone built up to detect until (at the earliest and with the most sensitive tests) about 2 days before your period is due.
    So it would really be pointless doing a pregnancy test until about 2 weeks after the event!

Having said all of that I just realised when I re-read your post that you thought you were pregnant because your period stopped earlier than usual. Given the comlplex nature of the whole conception process as outlined above this is unlikely! You probably just had a short period... nothing more.

On the off (very unlikely) chance that you did/ are going to ovulate early and the egg was / will be fertilised it wouldn't implant for quite a few days yet so a pregnancy test now would be a waste of time.

Anyhow...I do think it is highly unlikely that you are pregnant but if your next period doesn't arrive when expected (your usual 28 days) then you should do a test. In the meantime it would do no harm to do some reading and learn about how it all works if you do plan having babies in the future!

BTW I'm not medically qualified or anything, just someone who took a year to conceive my second child so I did a lot of reading on this stuff! Anyone else , if I have any of the details wrong feel free to point it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Heya. Just wanted to say that if you had become pregnant this wouldnt effect your period that you were having at the time as this is a disgarded egg already and therefore cannot be fertilised, so there must be some other reason. However id advise you to do the pregnancy test anyway just to put your mind at ease.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, getting pregnant would have no effect on the lenght of your period.

While you could be pregnant from having unprotected sex, the duration of your period is not an indicator.

'Ok. Thanks guys.

Must be something else then. Have never had it this short before though. Am getting cramps in my abdomen. Time to vist the doctor me thinks.

Just to say, I heard on the radio last night that it is now free to visit the doctor/nurse for pregnancy related things. I.e, if you think you are pregnant, or have questions etc.

no more paying €60 to ask a few questions! Sounds like a good initiative.'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Preggers? wrote:
    I am not looking to get pregnant. Getting pregnant wouldnt be intentional, but I am not going to get the morning after pill.'

so let me get this straight, your not looking to get pregnant but your not going to take any pre-cautions and you want to know if you can start testing at this stage?

your looking to get pregnant...

'No - am not intentionally looking to get pregnant.

Did you not read my posts? We only go full way when I have my period. Rest of the time we are careful.

Why I posted is because it was cut so short - it got me thinking.

If I was trying to get pregnant, dont you think we would try at a more favourable time?

Dont be stupid.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Cabaal wrote:
    so let me get this straight, your not looking to get pregnant but your not going to take any pre-cautions and you want to know if you can start testing at this stage?.
    Preggers wrote:
    I was always under the illusion that you could not get pregnant during your period.

You haven't got it straight.

Yes you can have a test now, and with some kits, even during your period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

One explanation for such a practice is that you're a Roman Catholic following the Church's rules on contraception and therefore only having sex within marriage and not using barrier or oral contraception and relying on the rhythm method to reduce the chances of an unwanted pregnancy.

If the case is this or something similar, well that's your beliefs and it's no-one's else's place to say otherwise (debate sure, but I've no more right to tell you to do otherwise than you do me).

If it's not the case though, you do seem to be taking needless risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Preggers? wrote:
    'Ok. Thanks guys.

Must be something else then. Have never had it this short before though. Am getting cramps in my abdomen. Time to vist the doctor me thinks.

Just to say, I heard on the radio last night that it is now free to visit the doctor/nurse for pregnancy related things. I.e, if you think you are pregnant, or have questions etc.

no more paying €60 to ask a few questions! Sounds like a good initiative.'

I'm not sure this is true. My understanding is that its free if you are actually pregnant but not otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Preggers? wrote:
    Hi,

I got my period Thursday last week. It normally lasts about 5-7 days. Regular as clock work (28 day cycle). I had unprotected sex on Sunday twice (long term partner). By Monday my period was gone.
    Thursday-Monday inclusive sums up to 5 days.

I'm not sure, but I suspect if you have sex on Sunday, while fertilisation may have happened, all the changes to affect periods won't have kicked in by Monday.

I think a test kit might be in order in a few days. It might make an interesting Christmas. :eek: :)

Advertisement