Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

software. Help needed a.s.a.p

Options
  • 19-12-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Need help urgently. Got a Chris Cringle in work and the guy has hinted that he liokes guitar and was looking at software to do some home recordings. any ideas of where to get something like software for him. bout 60 euro. i dont care how crap it is, dunno what to get him and this spring to mind.

Cheers in advanced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Hi Guys,

Need help urgently. Got a Chris Cringle in work and the guy has hinted that he liokes guitar and was looking at software to do some home recordings. any ideas of where to get something like software for him. bout 60 euro. i dont care how crap it is, dunno what to get him and this spring to mind.

Cheers in advanced

By far the best option IMO is N-Tracks.

http://fasoft.com/

Get the 24-bit version.

I've set up a few artists with this to get things down, and once you get a decent interface, it sounds as good as anything.

But we are talking about recording,not mixing yes ? Different can of wormies.

Nathan

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi Nathan,

I am a complete novice. all i know is that he just bought himself a semi acoustic guitar and was hinting that he wanted to record stuff. at the moment he is puttin stuff onto his i-river player and listening to it back but that aint very professional now is it?

What else does he need to record.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Could try audacity,it's free...haven't used it myself but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Hi Nathan,

I am a complete novice. all i know is that he just bought himself a semi acoustic guitar and was hinting that he wanted to record stuff. at the moment he is puttin stuff onto his i-river player and listening to it back but that aint very professional now is it?

What else does he need to record.

Chris

An instrument in a room is sound waves. Analog.

At some stage, if you want to record that to a computer you need to transfer it to digital.

Analog soundwaves are just that...waves...or maybe it's better to think of them as ripples, with the plectrum hitting the string representing the stone dropped in the pond.

Digital recording takes measurements of points on those ripples (or waves) and turns them into binary (1's and 0's, or +'s and -'s)

Probably more than you need to know, but if he want to get decent recordings he need a decent interface (or soundcard, or converter, all the same thing for our purposes).

I would suggest a second hand unit from Lynx, RME, MOTU or M-Audio...with as many channels as he needs to record simultaneously.

If he want's to record the guitar direct (ie not mic it) then he doesn't need a mic or a mic preamp. Just a direct line input on the interface. I think all of the above manafacturers have something that offers this.

However, DI'd acoustic guitar does not sound good generally.

If he want's to mic it, he will also need a mic preamp(and a decent mic obviously). These can be found in various forms, some are included with the above interfaces, but a very small mixing desk would do the job. Behringer make some very compact units if budget is an issue.

If this is a musical sketchpad type setup, then N-Tracks plus the appropiate cables plus the onboard laptop soundcard will get the signal in there.

Nathan

Advertisement