Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Middlesbrough and Southgate

• 19-12-2006 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

Along with Charlton and Watford, I would now see Boro as favorites to go down . I find it quite baffling, that last years UEFA cup finalists, and a team with a superb Youth academy are in this position.
    There chairman Steve Gibson seamed a great one, always backing his managers with hard cash , but why oh why did he appoint Gareth Southgate when McClaren left, he had no experience , no qualifications, and wouldn't strike me as a decent gamble such as Roy Keane or Tony Adams , now if they want to stay up I think they will have no choice but to sack Southgate .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Well I think Charlton and Watford are certs to go down so it could be between them and Sheffiled Utd, but Boro definitely have a lot more quality. I expect them to go on a decent run soon which should pull them into safety. I think it would be a major suprise to see them go down when they really should be challenging for a Uefa place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

thebaz wrote:
    Along with Charlton and Watford, I would now see Boro as favorites to go down . I find it quite baffling, that last years UEFA cup finalists, and a team with a superb Youth academy are in this position.
    There chairman Steve Gibson seamed a great one, always backing his managers with hard cash , but why oh why did he appoint Gareth Southgate when McClaren left, he had no experience , no qualifications, and wouldn't strike me as a decent gamble such as Roy Keane or Tony Adams , now if they want to stay up I think they will have no choice but to sack Southgate .

I wouldnt mention Tony Adams and gambling in the same sentence!
    kinaldo wrote:

Well I think Charlton and Watford are certs to go down so it could be between them and Sheffiled Utd, but Boro definitely have a lot more quality. I expect them to go on a decent run soon which should pull them into safety. I think it would be a major suprise to see them go down when they really should be challenging for a Uefa place.

No team is too good to go down. Ask West Ham or Leeds!

That said I think West Ham will just about make it. The others will go down but Charlton will be there or there abouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,423 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the funny thing is, after all the fuss they have kicked up over southgate and the coaching badges, they'd look like complete mugs to get shot of him now. And if they keep him on, they look like mugs anyway!

HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As soon as I saw that Southgate was appointed I was sure they'd struggle this season. I don't know how they thought he was going to be successful.

I'd prefer Charlton to stay up so it's a pity Charlton are away to Boro on Saturday and not home.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Never liked Southgate as a player and i could never see what he had that would make him a good manager, Gibson must have some belief, though i never rated McClaren or Robson as managers, although the latter had some success. Southgate has made them serious contenders for relegation. I see on Skysports today he is trying to pass off some of the blame for Boro's perfomance this season on to McClaren - doesnt look good when you start playing the blame game with previous managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

They were flirting with relegation all last season too so it's no real surprise that they're down there again.

dohboy wrote:
    They were flirting with relegation all last season too so it's no real surprise that they're down there again.

They may have been flirting last year but it looks like they have fallen completly in love this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Middlesbrough are definitely under-performing with Southgate at the helm. With the squad that Southgate has, he should have Middlesbrough in the top ten. Outside of the big 3, Woodgate, Downing and Yakubu would walk onto any team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What are the odds of Gibo given El Tel a call to see if he is free to come in a mentor Southgate and galiantly steer the club away from the drop ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think they will go down, loosing Woodgate would be a significant loss. Charlton and Watford to join them IMO

The Charlton situation is sad. I wasnt surprised Curbs left he seemed to be stuck in neutral and mid table was their home, he was never given serious cash and any time they got an offer for a player they sold him. But after he left they really bottomed out and even after spending huge by their standards. Looks like Curbs was doing a much better job many people knew just to keep everything a float.

Dowie was screwed i think they maybe very upset they didnt stand by him till the end of the season at least. Reed came in waving the white flag they seem to have given up the ghost.

Advertisement