Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup Q/F's

• 19-12-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Tuesday 19th December

Liverpool v Arsenal - Home
    Charlton v Wycombe - Away

Wednesday 20th December

Newcastle v Chelsea - Away
    Tottenham v Southend - Home

It is hard to pick winners in these ties really.
    Liverpool have improved a lot in recent weeks as have Arsenal, but the Gunners will probably field a weakened team tonight, and if so I fancy Liverpool to win.

The Charlton game could be the best of them all.. We could see loads of goals in this one..

Newcastle will be looking for revenge for the defeat to Chelsea a few games ago in the league..But Chelsae have found their goalscoring boots again so I gotta go for them.

Spurs have got their season going finally. Defoe and Berbatov scoring a lot.
    Southend are propping up the Championship table but proved that they are a good cup side by knocking out Man Utd in the last round. We could see a shock here..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I'm really psyched up for the Newcastle QF cos it's Chelsea and also our best chance of a trophy this season + we have a good home record against them with 4 wins in the last 4 seasons!

2005/06 won 1-0 Bramble
    2004/05 Drew 1-1 Geremi OG
    2004/05 Won 1-0 Kluivert (FAC)
    2004/05 Lost 0-2 aet (LC)
    2003/04 Won 2-1 Ameobi, Shearer
    2002/03 Won 2-1 Hasselbaink OG, Bernard

I really fancy us to win, maybe even on penos to avenge 95/96! If we get stuffed then I probably won't show my face around here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Tuesday 19th December

Liverpool v Arsenal - Home
    Charlton v Wycombe - Draw

Wednesday 20th December

Newcastle v Chelsea - Away
    Tottenham v Southend - Home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal will field a strong enough side with plenty of first teamers.

Some players will be given a rest though.
    Id fancy a draw there though.

jank wrote:
    there's no replays I thought

?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Looks like betting odds are against arsenal tonight. 4 to 1???? In a two horse race????? I mean whoever is more in the know than we are is backing L'pool heavily, and I would have to say the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Originally posted by Kinaldo

there's no replays I thought

Indeed no replays in the Carling Cup.. Extra-Time and penalties decide all rounds except the semis which are two-legged..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

jank wrote:
    Arsenal will field a strong enough side with plenty of first teamers.

Some players will be given a rest though.

The squads for the games are

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Aurelio, Luis Garcia, Pennant, Gerrard, Alonso, Gonzalez, Crouch, Fowler, Bellamy, Kuyt, Dudek, Paletta, Peltier.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Poom, Hoyte, Lauren, Senderos, Djourou, Flamini, Walcott, Song, Denilson, Randall, Traore, Aliadiere, Connolly, Garry, Perez.

So looks like Arsenal will be playing a lot of youngsters, but they will probably have a pretty strong defence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

COME ON YOU CHAIRBOYS.

Good luck to my one time local team. Great little club with a really good family set up. Could this be their second major semi final in five years. I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Due to heavy fog at Anfield, a pitch inspection has been called for 6.15pm ahead of tonight's Carling Cup quarter final against Arsenal.

A club spokemsan said: "At present the game is still on but a pitch inspection will take place at 6.15pm."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like the match is off! :(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

Surely in this day and age of Walk-men and Game-boys there is some kind of anti-fog device.

I remember seeing highlights of a game in Monaghan played in the most unbelievably ridiculous fog you will ever see in your life, you could literally only barely see the near touchline.

Thats the First Division for you, hardcore to the last. No yellow balls there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The squads for the games are

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Riise, Aurelio, Luis Garcia, Pennant, Gerrard, Alonso, Gonzalez, Crouch, Fowler, Bellamy, Kuyt, Dudek, Paletta, Peltier.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Poom, Hoyte, Lauren, Senderos, Djourou, Flamini, Walcott, Song, Denilson, Randall, Traore, Aliadiere, Connolly, Garry, Perez.

So looks like Arsenal will be playing a lot of youngsters, but they will probably have a pretty strong defence!
    That isn't Arsenal's squad. I don't know where BBC pulled that from, probably out of their arse. Connolly is on loan at Bournemouth!

The Arsenal squad is:

Kolo Toure - Age 25 - Ivory Coast
    Philippe Senderos - Age 21 - Switzerland
    Tomas Rosicky - Age 26 - Czech Republic
    Julio Baptista - Age 25 - Brazil
    Lauren - Age 29 - Cameroon
    Denilson - Age 18 - Brazil
    Alexandre Song - Age 19 - Cameroon
    Mart Poom - Age 34 - Estonia
    Manuel Almunia - Age 29 - Spain
    Jeremie Aliadiere - Age 23 - France
    Justin Hoyte - Age 22 - England
    Theo Walcott - Age 17 - England
    Armand Traore - Age 17 - France
    Joseph O’Cearuill - Age 19 - Republic of Ireland
    Fran Merida - Age 16 - Spain
    Mark Randall - Age 17 - England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seansouth wrote:
    :eek:

Surely in this day and age of Walk-men and Game-boys there is some kind of anti-fog device.
    In November 1945 Arsenal played one of the most extraordinary and controversial matches in their history, against a Dynamo Moscow side touring the country. With many players still serving abroad, Arsenal were severely depleted and used six guest players, including Stanley Matthews and Stan Mortensen, which led Dynamo to declare they were playing an England XI (though three of the side were actually Welsh). The match kicked off in thick fog and the slick and technically proficient Dynamo won 4-3, after Arsenal had led 3-1 at half-time. Though the score is generally agreed upon, after that accounts of the match diverge; English reports alleged Dynamo fielded twelve players at one point, and trying to pressurise the referee into abandoning the match when they had been behind; in turn, the Soviets accused Arsenal of persistent foul play and even alleged George Allison had bet money on the result (a claim that was later retracted).[8] With the fog obscuring much of the action (even the identity of the goalscorers is disputed), not to mention the language barriers and mutual suspicion (the match took place with the Cold War brewing in the background), it is unlikely that any accurate account of what really went on will ever emerge.

Now that would be some QF...

Fog is clearing, looks like it will go ahead. New inspection scheduled for 6.45.

Listening to fivelive and they say if it stays as is, the match will go ahead.

Quick joke about Wenger not seeing anything during tonights game! :)

Mike.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=157252.0;attach=100723;image

It'll look like a Serie A game!

Odds on Wenger 'not seeing it' tonight have been slashed by paddypower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont know what the problem is. Sky just showed a view from a camera behind the goal and you could see the far goalposts ffs. Thats plenty to be playable.

Footballers these days.:rolleyes: Dont know they're born. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool Arsenal game is off.

Wonder if that means they'll show the other game now, could be a blessing in disguise.

• Advertisement

ffs, it's cleared up loads and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ffs, it's cleared up loads and all.

at anfield?

pffft

Whats big giant load of monkey crap. This is ridiculous, that ref needs a kicking.

When does it get played? Unless it's this week which I doubt, this means it gets crammed into a busy week in the new year,yay.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

in fairness, id believe a ref more so than a picture from sky sports.

maybe its due to get worse, maybe that pic is a from earlier

Game set for Jan 8th I believe. Apparently Wenger and Benitez really wanted it to go ahead tonight and Sky won't allow it to be played tomorrow because they have the tv rights which would clash with Newcastle v Chelsea - keep an eye out for that as the fog is set to get worse over the next 24hrs...

Aren't the CC semi-finals played on the 10th of Jan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

**** sake

after i finishing early from work and everything

• Advertisement

Aren't the CC semi-finals played on the 10th of Jan?
    I think so but Jan 8th hasn't been confirmed just speculation on the old interweb...

also they play each other in the FA Cup on Jan 6th!

kinaldo wrote:
    Game set for Jan 8th I believe. Apparently Wenger and Benitez really wanted it to go ahead tonight and Sky won't allow it to be played tomorrow because they have the tv rights which would clash with Newcastle v Chelsea - keep an eye out for that as the fog is set to get worse over the next 24hrs...

Hope it's not set for the 8th. The FA cup game V Arsenal is Sat the 6th, then this on Mon 8th, the next round on Wed 10th then away to Watford on saturday 13th. What a crap week.

Stekelly wrote:
    Hope it's not set for the 8th. The FA cup game V Arsenal is Sat the 6th, then this on Mon 8th, the next round on Wed 10th then away to Watford on saturday 13th. What a crap week.
    Looking at the their busy holiday fixtures I don't see any other alternative unless they postpone the semi final.

kinaldo wrote:
    Looking at the their busy holiday fixtures I don't see any other alternative unless they postpone the semi final.

We'll just take a gimme for the watford game. :D

Wenger on saying that the ref said they wouldnt be able to distiguise players etc from across the pitch. On the live pictures you can read the board son tha far side ffs, what sthe problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Stekelly wrote:
    Whats big giant load of monkey crap. This is ridiculous, that ref needs a kicking.
    Did anybody else see the interview sky did with the referee the Liverpool players started kicking footballs at them the Ref didnt look happy and i think they broke a light as well Very very funny though :D:D:D .

Can imagine theres a few well pissed off Londoners after travelling up for the last couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Stekelly wrote:
    Can imagine theres a few well pissed off Londoners after travelling up for the last couple of hours.
    Thats not that bad I know people that went over from here. How pissed would you be then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

kinaldo wrote:
    Sky won't allow it to be played tomorrow because they have the tv rights which would clash with Newcastle v Chelsea - keep an eye out for that as the fog is set to get worse over the next 24hrs...
    Afaik Sky had nothing to do with it, it was all organisational factors that couldn't be resolved in 24 hours.

The game can't be rescheduled quickly for policing/traffic managment etc reasons, Liverpool City by laws require 10 days notice for a match!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Have to agree with the ref. It was obvious from the Sky pictures that if you were in the last 10 or 15 rows of seating all around the ground, you would have been able to see f-all. Weather can't be controlled, people should quit whining.

Bateman wrote:
    Have to agree with the ref. It was obvious from the Sky pictures that if you were in the last 10 or 15 rows of seating all around the ground, you would have been able to see f-all. Weather can't be controlled, people should quit whining.

So the match should be put back 3 weeks and jammed into an already crowded fixture list because the people at the back cant see properly? screw that.

People have spent years having their viewing of half the pitch blocked by pillars and the like, I'm sure they'd have rather seen half a pitch than to have had a wasted journey from London, Ireland etc.

• Advertisement

So I point out that thousands of people in the back 15 rows around the ground can't see, and part of your argument is concern for a handful of Irish glory hunters, and Arsenal's famously poor away support? :rolleyes:

Does the game have to be crammed into January? Yes. Tough. Whatever team makes the semi final will have that game put back. The CL doesn't restart til February FFS. You'd swear they were playing 2 games per week betweenow and then. They won't be.

Wenger cracks me up the most. He constantly whinges because he has a small squad (even though he farms most of his young players out on loan), and then when a game is called off, he whinges because his players aren't getting time on the pitch. Here's an idea; why don't you play all these players when you DO have the chance?

Bateman wrote:
    You'd swear they were playing 2 games per week betweenow and then. They won't be.

Guess what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/fixtures/default.stm

Saturday, 06 January 2007
    Liverpool v Arsenal, 17:15

and 7 days later...

Saturday, 13 January 2007
    Barclays Premiership

and 7 days later...

Watford v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 20 January 2007

...and 10 days later

Liverpool v Chelsea, 12:45
    Tuesday, 30 January 2007
    Barclays Premiership
    West Ham v Liverpool, 19:45

Guess what? FFS, Watford hardly even counts. :-)

The rearranged game will more than likely be played midweek after the FA Cup 3rd Round tie on the 6th, they will have played two games a week up until that tie is played.

The winners will then face two midweek CC semis to be played in January and potentially an FA Cup 4th Round the weekend of the 27th.

Pretty congested month all told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The game was postponed so just get on with it. Teams get conjestion every year so this time it's Liverpool's turn.

All this is taking away from the game that did actually go ahead tonight. Superb performance by Wycombe to overcome Charlton away from home Jermaine Easter is a quality striker and has filled the void left by Nathan Tyson superbly. That makes it two Premiership scalps so far in the competition and they're doing well in the league too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

So... Does anyone think Charlton are regretting sacking Dowie so soon?

This Reed bloke seems inept and totally lacking in organisational and motivational skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

its something ill never understand, sacking a manager when you have noone better to replace him with. its just a massive waste of money and doesn't help the club at all.

dowie would have done at least as well as reed, more then likely better. they were pretty bad at the start of the season, but their recent performances are some of the worst i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm more suprised how well Paul Lambert is doing after his terrible time at Livingston.

Latest scores:

Barcodes 0-0 Chelsea
    Spurs 0-0 Southend

Spurs just hit the crossbar.

Spurs having all the best chances at WHL, Defoe had a good header saved and Murphy put one just past the post.

Oh, the rearranged Pool-Arsenal game has been confirmed for Tuesday January 9th Clicky

Here's hoping they don't draw in the FA Cup tie...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement