Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to pitch to and how need money for Dream!!

Options
  • 19-12-2006 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey mods not sure if this is the right place please redirect if needs be!

Hello all

Firstly i must say this is a dream probably has no bearing on actual reality but i just thought id throw it out there as i guess many of you have probably thought along similar lines in the past or maybe even attempted some of these things. Anyway nothing ventured nothing gained!!

Basically i want to travel the world taking on new adventures eg cycling across America and learning new skills/sports eg skiing skydiving survival etc (not just doing them once but actually gaining an acceptable level skill in them. the only problem that I think holds people back from doin this kind of thing is finance!!

I see a show on BBC1 "Around the world in 1080 days" i think its called. its just one man (northern irish) and his camera traveling around the world. Can be a bit boring and preachy but also pretty interesting. Seems he has managed to finance his dreams with a great pitch to the BBC.

I wouldn’t like to do this as I wouldn’t like to be recognized but what about writing a book of my adventures. Would it be possible to make a similar pitch to a publishing company and receive an advance on any money that might be made?

Or maybe company sponsorship such a "Redbull" or travel companies wishing to gain publicity for travel and adventure.

Or maybe create a website with my experiences n my super!! photos of life around the world accepting suggestions, donations and sponsorship of course.

Any advice about how to go about the first two suggestions and who i could approach etc would be great. Also please post any ideas you may have thought about in your past.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

If you have an idea of a format for the show get a mate to video you doing one of your travels somewhere cheap like say learning to surf in lahinch, do the narration and edit it yourself and use it as an example of the kind of thing you want to make and approach a production company and see if they are interested in paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

That's good advice above, because the idea that some one is going to throw money at you to go on a long holiday without knowing what they'll get in return seem like a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 John101

cheers homeowner great advice

I do actually have an idea for a docu/travel type show its a little unusual well i havent seen it done on main stream TV dont have digital so not sure about that.

I suppose i could put sumting together on a crappy little digital camera as dats all i got at da mo no fancy sony pd150 camera for me......yet:)

do you know of any directories of production companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

John101 wrote:
    do you know of any directories of production companies

check out http://www.iftn.ie/production/index1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

The problem is that however good your pitch is getting an actual advance will be very difficult unless you have some history in that field.

If you go ahead with it anyway (off your own funds) pitching what you've already done is a helluva lot easier and if it's good enough you could make some money.

Most businesses will be very reticent to advance you money on what you say you're going to do even if it's a good idea as they've no idea who you are, whether or not you are capable of following through on the project or even if you'll bother to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

You want to do something like this guy.

He financed a trip around the world, recording a short video of himself dancing like a fool in each location, then it became so popular that he was paid to do it again, but the company who sponsored him got him to places on the planet none of us will ever get to/will be allowed to see. Lucky guy, but if you think you can pull it off, kudos to you.

Although i'd say places like broadcasting and publishing companies get pitched ideas like this all the time by wouldbe packpackers looking for a free ride, your pitch would have to be very special if you don't have the position of say, Micheal Palin.

Advertisement