Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obsolete resolution?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Mentioned to a filmmaker friend yesterday that I was about to buy a HDTV, and he immediately retorts with "You better not be getting one of those fake HD 1366 x 768 ones"

Which of course has been the resolution of the only ones I've been looking at.

His argument is that 1980x1080 is the only true HD standard, and that while the former resolution is currently fine, it will very quickly run into problems as 1980x1080 is the resolution all broadcasters and manafacturers are moving towards.

First problem, obviously, is that sets at that higher resolution are currently crazy expensive over here, though a friend was looking at shops in the US yesterday, and LCD prices are dropping big time.

Anyway, should I pay attention to his concerns and rob a bank to go 1980x1080, or will 1368 x 768 be absolutely fine for years to come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Your friend is mistaken. 1080p content is not going to be broadcast anytime soon. The amount of 1080p content around is pittance right now and its going to be a while before it becomes widely available. Even when it does, I suspect broadcasts will be either 720p or 1080i. Even if they did broadcast in 1080p, the compression would probably make it look poor. Theres no such thing as "fake" HDTV, HDTV has several standards

Also, SD doesnt look to great on a 720p screen and can look horrid on a 1080p screen.

So what am I saying?

Buy a 720p screen, let the other suckers pay a premium for a higher res with little or no content. When 1080p and 720p becomes the norm and SD is less common, get the 1080p screen for a hell of a lot less money.

My 2c.

Personally, I dont know whart Sky+ is like in ireland (didnt get a chance to see it before I left), but comcast HD here IMO is dissapointing and a classic example that a higher resolution does not mean a better picture. The compression they use has visible artifacts which really bugs me TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,279 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i suppose since the new hd discs will be able to store hd content in 1080p, a 1080p display might be worth considering

but a 720p tv is still hd and unless you like sitting real close to the tv or are looking at getting a tv in the range of 50" or above or you have too much money 720p is probably the way to go at the moment.

Advertisement