Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breakdown Assistance

Options
  • 19-12-2006 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

Hey, I can't seem to find the terms of my insurance policy with Hibernian (Ignition) but had to use their Breakdown Assistance last night. Does anyone know if this affects my No Claims Bonus?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As far as I know, it doesn't effect your NCB.

My girlfriend has her insurance with Hibernian (through OneDirect), and has had to use the breakdown assist a few times over the years, and it's never effected hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Sorry for thread-jacking but will break down companies come out to change a bulb? I know it might sound like a silly question but on my car the battery has to be removed and on my Dads, the front grill has to be removed, so the likelihood of me having the tools to do this job at the road-side is unlikely...

Edit - from AAIreland "AA membership does not provide cover for non-essential repairs such as replacing interior light bulbs or inconvenient faults such as a faulty radio." - So I'm guessing it probably does cover exterior lights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

fletch wrote:
    Sorry for thread-jacking but will break down companies come out to change a bulb? I know it might sound like a silly question but on my car the battery has to be removed and on my Dads, the front grill has to be removed, so the likelihood of me having the tools to do this job at the road-side is unlikely...

Well from Hibernian website the following is what is covered:

Breakdown Assist: 'Breakdown Assist' cover can save the day if you have a breakdown emergency. The types of breakdown covered are:

* mechanical breakdown;
    * fire, theft, attempted theft or malicious damage;
    * punctures that need help to fix, or wheel replacement; and
    * lost keys, stolen keys or keys broken in locks or locked in your car.

If you have one of these emergencies, all you need to do is call the Freephone number, which is available to you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The benefits provided are as follows.

1. Roadside and driveway assistance - We will send a competent repairer to you. If they can repair your car immediately, we will provide up to one hour's free labour.

2. Towing - We will cover the cost of towing your car to the nearest competent repairer or to your own garage, whichever is closer. You must be with your car when the repairer arrives. If you are not with the car and we cannot assist you, you will have to pay for any future assistance. (If you have an accident, towing is the only cover provided to you by Breakdown Assist.)

3. (a) Finishing your journey in the 32 counties of Ireland - (Cover only applies when you are more than 30 kilometres from your home.)
    If repairs cannot be carried out at the scene, we will pay for:
    * transport for you and your passengers to your intended destination; or
    * a replacement car for up to 48 hours and transport back to your car when repaired; or
    * bed-and-breakfast accommodation while you and your passengers are waiting for the repairs to be finished (up to €35 for each person, and €150 in total).

(b) Finishing your journey in England, Scotland or Wales - If the repairer is not able to carry out repairs at the scene of the breakdown, we will provide a replacement car for up to 48 hours. The most we will pay for this is £100.

If your car cannot be repaired before your departure date, we will pay for your car to be towed to the port in England, Scotland or Wales you are leaving from. The most we will pay for this is £250.
    4. Theft of your car - Cover only applies in the 32 counties of Ireland.
    If your car has been stolen and not recovered within 24 hours, we will provide a replacement car:
    * for up to five days; or
    * until your car is recovered
    whichever is sooner.
    You must report the theft to us and the Gardaí immediately.

5. Sending an urgent message - We will send up to two urgent messages on your behalf in the event of a breakdown.

Breakdown Assist cover applies to Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales. We will not be responsible for any expense you run up without our approval or for expenses you run up without ringing our Freephone number first.

I have to say though I was very impressed with the service!
    I got a puncture, and there was no light where I pulled up so was trying to work in the dark.
    And then realised that I couldn't loosen the nuts on the wheel - didn't have the crowbar thing in my boot
    So called them, told them my location, they called me back within 5 minutes to tell me who was coming to me, and when they were going to be there. Then an hour later got another call from them asking did everything go ok and was the job completed!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

It's a great service, Hibernian use The RAC to provide it and cliams on this will NOT effect your No Claims Bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fletch wrote:
    Edit - from AAIreland "AA membership does not provide cover for non-essential repairs such as replacing interior light bulbs or inconvenient faults such as a faulty radio." -
    I'm picturing the scene - AA man comes along and asks "What seems to be the problem?". Motorist - "Well I just can't seem to get a good reception on BBC Five Live for the football - do you think you can rectify it" :D:):eek:.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement