Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if.....

• 19-12-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭

Okay,
    I am seriously thinking of changing my allegiances.
    I am a bit dissillusioned with the English Premierleage and the teams in it and think it is time I began to support the local club-Galway United.
    Obviously part of this changeover is because they will now be playing in the top level of Irish Soccer and that their home ground is round the corner and tickets dont cost the earth. I've never really felt a "real" support of Man United-sure it is nice when they win something-you can wind up the other fans, and its annoying when the lose - but I dont feel involved enough.
    The main reason why I supported Man United was because they were one of about four teams that everyone I knew supported at the time and whilst they have given me some enjoyment I just dont feel an attachment to them any more. Players on out of this world salaries, moaning players, dishonest players. The same could be said of any FA premier league club. The historic reasons for supporting English clubs seem to be a bit outdated also. Irish/british players no long form the backbone of english clubs.
    Dont get me wrong, I'll still watch the matches in the premier league of England and I am under no illusions about how successful a club such as Galway could become, however the local element, the fact that I like their style and I would feel more of a fan for supporting them through thick and thin.
    Anyway- most people would regard this as a stupid decision as the quality of football sucks in the eircom league etc.....but the quality of football and teams will not improve if we keep supporting English teams.
    So, I am off to get my 175 yoyo season ticket for Galway United and getting some warmer clothes!

Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

fair play to you...that's what irish soccer needs..more fans who will support their local team..now if only the fai could be as decisive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fair play to you Kippy.

Just to let you know though, there is no reason why you cant support both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would have got myself a Dundalk season ticket ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Make like a Nike advert.

No second thoughts.

You will feel infinetely more rewarded with the highs, and infinitely more dejected with the lows.

Plus, I'll have a place to kip for the trips to Galway this coming season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Congratulations and welcome to the eircom league!*

You shouldn't think that the quality of football in the EL is actually as bad as some people (with unfounded opinions) think it is. I watched the Derry - St Pats match and went to a number of Shels matches and I have to say I found it quite enjoyable. There's a lot less ****e going on in the EL than the Premiership (on the pitch at least. Shels seem to have 'done a leeds', it'll be an interesting season for them). I've turned premiership matches off because i saw too much diving / fouling / rolling etc. It seems to happen a lot less in the EL. The atmosphere can be unbelievable at times too and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to go enjoy it.

That being said I follow Leeds and feel much the same about Championship games as I do the EL. Could never see myself losing interest in them and am planning a number of trips over before the end of the season (i've been bitten by the bug).

Feel proud for making the move, wave your scarf high and bring some mates alnog. They might actually have a good time! ;)

Is what I would say if I could choose a team to follow myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

kippy wrote:
    Okay,
    I am seriously thinking of changing my allegiances.
    I am a bit dissillusioned with the English Premierleage and the teams in it and think it is time I began to support the local club-Galway United.
    Obviously part of this changeover is because they will now be playing in the top level of Irish Soccer and that their home ground is round the corner and tickets dont cost the earth. I've never really felt a "real" support of Man United-sure it is nice when they win something-you can wind up the other fans, and its annoying when the lose - but I dont feel involved enough.
    The main reason why I supported Man United was because they were one of about four teams that everyone I knew supported at the time and whilst they have given me some enjoyment I just dont feel an attachment to them any more. Players on out of this world salaries, moaning players, dishonest players. The same could be said of any FA premier league club. The historic reasons for supporting English clubs seem to be a bit outdated also. Irish/british players no long form the backbone of english clubs.
    Dont get me wrong, I'll still watch the matches in the premier league of England and I am under no illusions about how successful a club such as Galway could become, however the local element, the fact that I like their style and I would feel more of a fan for supporting them through thick and thin.
    Anyway- most people would regard this as a stupid decision as the quality of football sucks in the eircom league etc.....but the quality of football and teams will not improve if we keep supporting English teams.
    So, I am off to get my 175 yoyo season ticket for Galway United and getting some warmer clothes!

Kippy

Dunphy is that you??!! No seriously fair play to you....

Did anyone see the Irish Sports Personality awards the other night. Dunphy was on the panel of judges and was able to say his piece at the end of the show before that main award was presented...He started be saying that 'football was a disgrace in western europe nowadays' to which some of the audience began to boo! He then begged them to say his piece, to which he berated (sp?) premiership footballers, Italian footballers, the FAI etc, similar to Kippy's sentiments. He then recieved a rapturous applause at the end of it! Your right to support the roots of football and it won't cost you a fortune either. Fair play.......C'mon St. Pats (only cuz I like the look of their Barcelonaesque jersey!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

~Indeed Kingp. As well as a blues man I'm Rovers through and through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You won't look back man, fair play. Though as has already been stated, there's no reason you can't support both them and (Man) United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I can’t understand people changing allegiances, but to me, it sounds like you were never a Man U fan in the first place (or, a cynic may say, you are a typical Man U fan). You sound like a guy who has married the wrong woman because you went for looks rather than personality.

If you decide to follow Galway, the “High” of beating Derry or Shels will be far more exhilarating than watching Man United win the champions league. Think of how you feel when Ireland play. The highs of beating England and the lows of getting a pasting off Cyprus. That is how you should feel about your main team. Supporting someone like Man U can only ever bring pain, because anything other than success is failure.

If you are despondent with the English Premier League, then try looking outside of the big four, or even the Premiership. Scout around the various chat forums and find people who you like. Take a look at Fulham, Wolves, Forest, Wigan and (of course) Portsmouth. Find fans you can relate to, follow results, follow the chat and the banter and see how you feel. I guarantee you will find a set of supporters you like and can share their joy and disappointment with. Play the field and see what happens.

Try and get to a couple of games and see what you think (I guarantee if you watch Pompey play from the Fratton End you will become an instant fan because the atmosphere will suck you in). I would strongly advise you avoid Southampton though, you wouldn’t want to wear a shirt that makes you look like a deck chair would you!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Typical Man U fan.

• Advertisement

Pros : Supporting local soccer can only be good for Galway United, The eL and yourself.

When you say 'we' you will feel like you mean it.

You will meet great people all over the country on your travels. (Apart from that long-haired bearded freak who supports Longford, and the curly mopped yoke who supports CCFC :p )

You might be able to convert a few mates.

You might inspire a few more on these forums to 'take the plunge'.

Freezing your ass at a 'Summer Soccer' game in the depths of November.

You can take the moral high ground in arguments about soccer, like all eL fans do, some call it the 'holier than thou' approach. It's a great way to wind people up, I find.

Cons : Freezing your ass at a 'Summer Soccer' game in the depth of November.

It's Galway Unitedm jeez, you could at least pick a good team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ahh Galway - best away trip in the league. I'm glad they went up instead of Dundalk for that reason alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can’t understand people changing allegiances, but to me, it sounds like you were never a Man U fan in the first place (or, a cynic may say, you are a typical Man U fan). You sound like a guy who has married the wrong woman because you went for looks rather than personality.
    Possibly, but again, the options, were Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal.
    Mostly because these were that teams that most people I knew at the time supported. They also happened to be the teams that got the most media attention. That coupled with the fact that I lived in a relatively remote location on the West coast of Ireland.
    I've had a long time to follow them and indeed the other watch the other teams in the premier league and there is, to me, a serious falseness about the whole thing.
    I have not been to a single Man United match-not for lack of trying- a couple I had intended to go to were moved due to other fixtures, the players are not "real" - they live a different life to mine.
    Typical Man U fan.
    Typical Irish soccer fan I would rather be called. Obviously I hope Galway will do well-but they are also the local team. I would rather follow them than Derry City.
    I do look forward to the away games in Ireland next season now-I have a realistic chance of going to them. Any victory will be sweeter, any lose will be ten times worse.

I would strongly advise you avoid Southampton though, you wouldn’t want to wear a shirt that makes you look like a deck chair would you!!:D

Ouch, that hurts.
    :D

Finally someone to have some banter with on boards, its only taken 5 years!

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Ouch, that hurts.
    :D

Finally someone to have some banter with on boards, its only taken 5 years!

Except you have the advantage of being able to use the word "Skate" whereas Sc_____ is a banned word:D

Except you have the advantage of being able to use the word "Skate" whereas Sc_____ is a banned word:D
    Haha yep, go to feedback and try get 'Skate' banned or special dispensation to use 'Sc__' at least. I won't object. And good luck. :D

Consider this thread hijacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I would strongly advise you avoid Southampton though, you wouldn’t want to wear a shirt that makes you look like a deck chair would you!!:D

They do have their benefits though. Their away shirts render you invisible to the common Man Yoo fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Fair play Kippy , the league is improving at a good steady rate in recent years and the football has been quite exciting recently . Try and get some of your friends to go along , you never know they might want to come back .

I have picked up that Barcelonaesque jersey , it really is very nice . As far as I know the cup final will be the only time it will ever have been worn by the first team .

They do have their benefits though. Their away shirts render you invisible to the common Man Yoo fan.
    Wasn't it the other way around? Man U's away shirts were blamed for their defeat by S***hampton?

or do you mean their away fans are invisible:D

• Advertisement

It was the United grey jerseys that meant the players couldn't see each other. We were 3-0 up at half-time (the usual story...) and they changed at half-time and it ended 3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

kinaldo wrote:
    Typical Man U fan.

Post of the year right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Kippy, you can save yourself €25 by buying your season ticket online:

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/tickets-travel/get-your-season-ticket-now.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers FatherTed.
    I see in local papers that there will be a stand in the shopping centers as well.

Its difficult explaing to mates why I am starting to support Galway United over Manchester United-however I feel Irish clubs are trying hard to get better and now is the time to start spending my cash on them
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I have been a Man Utd fan since 1968 and supported them through the dark ages of hooliganism, relegation and Liverpool winning everything, but I have to admit that I am becoming more apathetic towards them in recent years. OK this year they are giving Chelsea a run for their money but they haven't a hope of holding them of as I think they are flattering to deceive. The whole Premiership product is becoming quite annoying with all the diving, the dominance of the top four clubs, the managers who speak through rose tinted glasses, the bungs, the books, the grossly inflated wages, agents etc, when you think about it it's all bollox really. So Athlone Town have built a new stadium and are buying a couple of new players so could have a good run next season (could be a good bet too) so I think I'll go along to a few games and who knows maybe another convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

kippy wrote:
    Okay,
    I've never really felt a "real" support of Man United-sure it is nice when they win something-you can wind up the other fans, and its annoying when the lose - but I dont feel involved enough.

Good too see someone who hasn't been a fan of domestic football come out with that. Pity most are still, and always will be blinded by the fact that they think football is a sport which is played on TV screens.

The people who say the level sucks are the same people who have never been to a game, or are basing their opinions on one game they may have been to, or seen on television. These people seem to think that there are only great games played in Skys Premiership.

I fully agree with the part ive bolded.

I look forward to having a good weekend when City play Galway in Terryland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The championship is probaly the most exciting league in the world.. You could do alot worse then a picking a team in there too support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Kippy/Patmac,

What you are doing is actually quite common in England. No shortage of people who previously followed the 'big clubs' have become pssed off with the high ticket prices, bribes, huge wage packets, over the top policing/stewarding, and the 'theatre' type atmosphere and seating arrangements inside stadia.

The eircom league is far from perfect, but it does have passionate fans (see http://irishtifo.bestbulletinboard.com/ ) who have a love for their club that imo can't exist for a foreign club that you watch mainly through tv. Plus you don't have to plan for a match months in advance or take your place in a designated seat that is generated at random by a computer.

Meet up with your mates, have a couple of pints beforehand and then no probs standing together at the game.

Buy yourselves a jersey and wear it with pride, especially abroad, when all sorts of people will come up to you and starting talking to you cos you follow your local team instead of just being another Vodafone advert or one of Kenyon's targeted consumers.

Look forward to hearing your opinions during next season. :)
    The championship is probaly the most exciting league in the world..
    On what basis? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Zebra3 wrote:

The league is so close and anybody can beat anybody. Hull were 2nd bottom beat Cardiff 4-1 despite Cardiff being up the top.

• Advertisement

Southampton go and beat the top side 4-3 then lose to the bottom side 2-1, its definitely the best league I'm aware of. You just can't bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kippy wrote:
    Its difficult explaing to mates why I am starting to support Galway United over Manchester United-however I feel Irish clubs are trying hard to get better and now is the time to start spending my cash on them

As others have pointed out, there's nothing to stop you supporting both teams. Likewise, as someone who's never been to see Utd, unless you're spending a couple of €100 on merchandise you could easily spreadthe wealth a little.

Fair play for choosing to support your local side, in fact fair play for realising football happens on a football pitch and not on a 32" TV. TBH, the whole package makes it worthwhile, the few pints before/during/after a game, the away trips, being caught in a torrential downpour on some godforsaken terrace/uncovered stand. Eventually, you'll realise that the 90mins becomes less important than sharing a love of your side with a passionate following.

I certainly feel that way, whether I'm in Tolka Park or White Hart Lane.
    patmac wrote:
    OK this year they are giving Chelsea a run for their money but they haven't a hope of holding them of as I think they are flattering to deceive.

I wouldn't have a problem with what you said if it wasn't for that statement there, it sounds like you're losing interest because you feel Utd can't compete anymore. Maybe I've read you wrong, but supporting a team involves the highs and the lows...
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Buy yourselves a jersey and wear it with pride, especially abroad, when all sorts of people will come up to you and starting talking to you cos you follow your local team instead of just being another Vodafone advert or one of Kenyon's targeted consumers.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Southampton go and beat the top side 4-3 then lose to the bottom side 2-1, its definitely the best league I'm aware of. You just can't bet on it.

Gonna be a fascinating 2nd half of the season.

Kingp35 wrote:
    The league is so close and anybody can beat anybody. Hull were 2nd bottom beat Cardiff 4-1 despite Cardiff being up the top.

That's your basis for putting a league down as probably the most exciting in the world. :rolleyes:

Sure Bray beat Cork, and the top four in the eircom League were real close, so therefore you reckon the eircom League is probably one of the most exciting as well?

Zebra3 wrote:
    That's your basis for putting a league down as probably the most exciting in the world. :rolleyes:

Sure Bray beat Cork, and the top four in the eircom League were real close, so therefore you reckon the eircom League is probably one of the most exciting as well?

No, the winners of the Eircom League was alays gonna be one of those top four teams, you could easily have predicted that at the start of the season. I have no iea who is gonna win the Championship or get relegated because it is so close that its impossible to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Zebra3 wrote:

Leeds one of the favourites to get promoted are looking like they will be relegated. colchester one of the favourites for relegation looking like real promotion contenders. You just cant predict this league at all. Week in week out you dont know how the results will go.

The top 4 El clubs were never that close. It was always looking like a 2 horse race from Derry or Shels for a long time, and thats how it turned out.

• Advertisement

It was always looking like a 2 horse race from Derry or Shels for a long time, and thats how it turned out.
    No, it didn't.

In actual fact, three of the top four could have won the league on the last day.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

And I'm so glad we helped put you in it sha la la la la la la la.....:D

OK then, all you Eircom league fans. Who should I, as a newly arrived Portsmouth exile support?

My initial thought was Bray, as they are my local team ish but I have a brother in law who is a Shamrock fan.

However I have a leaning towards Drogheda because they have a similar badge to Pompey (Sad I know).

From Glenageary, how can I watch a game without having to drive thereby taking the advice of Zebra3 and having a few pints before the game?

From Glenageary, probably will have to be either Bray or UCD for the non driving thing. The DART will take you fairly near each ground.

But, if I had anything to do with it, I'd say Shels :D

From Glenageary, how can I watch a game without having to drive thereby taking the advice of Zebra3 and having a few pints before the game?

I live in Sandycove at the moment mate and Im a Bray season ticket holder. Easy to go to games because I just jump on the dart and takes you right there. No problem having a few beers before and after games. I recommend Bray :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I wouldn't have a problem with what you said if it wasn't for that statement there, it sounds like you're losing interest because you feel Utd can't compete anymore. Maybe I've read you wrong, but supporting a team involves the highs and the lows...

:rolleyes:
    No I think I'm losing interest because Utd players and premiership players who earn more in a week than I do in a year can't be bothered to give a 100%, (which is why I admire GAA players who train 3 times a week and wear there jersey with pride for feck all,). I was seven when I was allowed to stay up and watch the European Cup final in 1968 and was mesmorized by George Best (who I met and was a complete gentleman). Just after he died last year Utd went to Benfica of all places and produced one of the worst performances ever (and I've seen some poor ones) and I thought no pride in the jersey which in sport for me is what it's all about. Maybe you hit the nail on the head with the Highs and lows thing I just don't feel the same anymore about Utd, last weekend was annoying but quickly forgotten, maybe I'm getting old and I can see through the hype that is the Premiership, compared to say the international team (sometimes), Westmeath GAA, Irish and Munster Rugby (now there is a team with pride in their Jersey). Is it too much to ask someone on 50k a week to give it their all for 90minutes. I'll just get my pipe and slippers now.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    I live in Sandycove at the moment mate and Im a Bray season ticket holder. Easy to go to games because I just jump on the dart and takes you right there. No problem having a few beers before and after games. I recommend Bray :D

I'm kind of leaning that way I think, what sort of attendances do Bray get and is it a suitable place to bring kids?

More importantly, what are the pies like and do they sell prawn sandwiches:D

I'm kind of leaning that way I think, what sort of attendances do Bray get and is it a suitable place to bring kids?

More importantly, what are the pies like and do they sell prawn sandwiches:D

Attendances wouldnt be great but they are not the worst either. Bigger games do get decent attendances and you can get a good atmosphere as well. Bray are only a small club though so you wouldnt get the same attendances as the bigger Dublin clubs. Its grand for bringing kids. My 10 year old brother has been going since he was about 6 and he loves it.

There is a chipper just across from the ground that do beautiful pies. Sadly no prawn sandwiches :p

I like the ground in Bray, and yeah, great for bringing kids to, especially if you can get a half day of a Friday in the Summer.

And I'm so glad we helped put you in it sha la la la la la la la.....:D

OK then, all you Eircom league fans. Who should I, as a newly arrived Portsmouth exile support?

My initial thought was Bray, as they are my local team ish but I have a brother in law who is a Shamrock fan.

However I have a leaning towards Drogheda because they have a similar badge to Pompey (Sad I know).

Good ol' Pompey. Love 'em to bits! Love that story about the Pompey jerseys buried under Southampton's new stadium. :D
    When we're in our new stadium you'll be able to get the train there. In the meantime, you can have a lift from Dún Laoghaire. And following Bohs will totally hack off your brother-in-law, which is always a good thing.

Shels played at the Carlisle Grounds in the first game of last season and it's no exaggeration when I say I've never been so cold in my life. Wrap up well!
    SectionF wrote:
    Good ol' Pompey. Love 'em to bits! Love that story about the Pompey jerseys buried under Southampton's new stadium. :D

Ah come on! Theres a story the exact same for the Emirates and practically every new ground these days! :)

SectionF wrote:
    When we're in our new stadium you'll be able to get the train there. In the meantime, you can have a lift from Dún Laoghaire. And following Bohs will totally hack off your brother-in-law, which is always a good thing.

Where is the new ground being built? or is it like ours, "Work Starts in the Spring" (Don;t know which spring though):D

Where is the new ground being built? or is it like ours, "Work Starts in the Spring" (Don;t know which spring though):D
    In Harristown, Ballymun, which will be on or close enough to the new metro.
    But you'll have a few years in which to savour the home of Irish football...

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shels played at the Carlisle Grounds in the first game of last season and it's no exaggeration when I say I've never been so cold in my life. Wrap up well!

Ah come on! Theres a story the exact same for the Emirates and practically every new ground these days! :)
    So where are the Saints shirts buried? :p

SectionF wrote:
    So where are the Saints shirts buried? :p

Under Portsmouths imaginary new stadium I guess.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shels played at the Carlisle Grounds in the first game of last season and it's no exaggeration when I say I've never been so cold in my life.

Lightweight!!! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement