Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive query - can someone help please.

Options
  • 19-12-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have got a DVD Drive installed in the spare slot on the hard drive.

Now I cant use my memory key as the DVD drive is coming up as the E drive where the memory key would normally be.

I have no other drives appearing on My Computer.

Has anyone any ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Can you go into the properties of the drive and change the DVD drive from E to F??

If not remove the drivers for the DVD drive, keep the Key in the PC and restart, when the DVD drive gets picked up again it should use F if E is used by the memory key!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Do you how to change the drive, am in properties hear and just cant see where I am meant to be going please.

Sorry am a novice with computers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I don't think you can in XP!!

Best thing is to right click "My Computer" then click properties.
    Click Hardware then Device Manager.
    Then click on DVD/CD Drives and you will see your DVD drive listed there, right click it and click uninstall!!
    Turn off your PC, then put your memory key in and start it back up and see if that works!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

To change the drive letter for the DVD drive;

- Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    - Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you’ll see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the pane.
    - Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    - Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive letter you want to assign, and then click OK.

Thanks guys for that, huge help. Saved the office my going down. :D

• Advertisement

Guys I changed the name of the DVD drive from E to G

I put in the memory key and it still didnt come up on "My Computer".

Where do I go from here

The memory key was always E??

Yeah the memory was E before the dvd drive was installed

This is getting fustration thanks for hanging in there.

Last week a lad came to the office and install a dvd player in managers computer. Worked perfectly.

He later that day went to put in his memory key and it didnt appear on "my computer".

He rang the person who installed the Dvd drive and said to change the drive letter or maybe the mother board doesnt have the capability for extra drives.

So do what Ruu pointed out, and changed the DVD drive from E to G.

Put the memory key into the USB port and went to "my computer" and still not there.

I havent tried your way yet as dont know how to uninstall the dvd drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Change the drive letter on your USB Key. (Less hassle)

Like was said....

- Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    - Under Computer Management, click Disk Management.
    - In the bottom partition you will see a list of drives (incl HD / CD Rom etc).

You are looking for (most lightly) Disk 1, it will be a removable disk and will show the size of the USB Key. Right click on it and click change drive letter or path. Assign a letter (anything, generally higher is better, U is good as it wont be a problem with network drives etc). Once this is done it should show up under my computer.

Thanks for that ill try that later on and let you knwo how I get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement