Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Fire

Options
  • 19-12-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    we are looking at getting a new Gas Fire and would like it to be as efficient as possible.
    The models we are looking at are either the "hot box convector" or the "e-box"
    the hot box is about 45-50% efficient with the e-box being 75-80%.
    Basically the first one blows the hot air out at your and has something behind the fire (the box?)
    the second one has a sealed glass front to it and apparently this increases the efficiency significantly.
    Does anyone have any experience with these?
    They worry we have is that the glass on the front will get discoloured with time and there is nothing you can do about it...

A bit vague I know, but thx for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I've got a fully glass fronted one (cant remember the make or model off hand) and we find it fantastic. I cant really say how efficient is is in terms of its consumption as I cant isolate it from what the central heating is using as both went in at the same time. However we find it very effective in heating the sitting room, which is 26ft x 12ft so pretty large. The only real drawback is that the glass gets so hot that it would literally strip the skin off your hand if you touched it, so we cant use the fire until the baby is in bed. As for the Glass getting discolored it does get slightly discolored over time, but it is easy to remove and clean. Ive only had to clean it once in 2 years, but it is due a clean up before Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cool, thx for info
    I must look up and see if the ones I am looking at have removeable fronts...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Here is a picture of the one we have, it is a Gazco Riva Profili - ours in is brushed chrome finish.

161_1.jpg

Advertisement