Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is BT Avavilable in Charlesland?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hiya

Tried to connect to BT Today on the net, put in our phone no and it said it's not available in our area, Anyone have it? Thought I read something on the boards before about BT but can't find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tanith wrote:
    Hiya

Tried to connect to BT Today on the net, put in our phone no and it said it's not available in our area, Anyone have it? Thought I read something on the boards before about BT but can't find it.

You mean for Broadband? BT would just use eircom's phonelines to provide the service, and the Greystones exchange is definitely DSL enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Don't do it! They couldnt connect us when we first moved to Charlesland in Feb 05 but insisted on either charging us for the remainder of our previous house's Broadband/phone contract from last address or charging a disconnection fee. they use call centres who do not follow up on your queries, like, PLEASE DISCONNECT MY OLD PHONE LINE AS THE NEW TENANTS ARE USING MY NUMBER!!! for 6 months.........
    I have to say that apart from eircom and irish broadband, I wouldnt trust any of the phone companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we have BT for phoneline and broadband - the service itself is fine, and cheaper than eircom. God help you if you ever need to contact BT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Hammiepeters, I completely agree, don't even consider signing up for broadband with BT. As I detailed on another thread somewhere in this forum, we had an absolute nightmare with them which included overcharging, failure to respond to query after query etc. Eventually it ended up with them issuing a summons to us -- they finally agreed to settle but it was horribly stressful. I wouldn't go near them with a 20 foot bargepole. We have been with eircom for ages now and have never had a single problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tanith

Thanks a mil for the advice guys, was looking to set up phone and broadband. I also think Eircom are scammers! I tried to get our phone line in 2months ago and they were charging us connection fee as ours wasn't prewired so i asked how come there is a connection in my hall and they said sometimes builders put in fake connections! I was very suspicious and they had told me the earliest it would be was the new year. I got a bill 2 days ago for connection which I was to send back to them within 10 days or else I'd lose my place in line. And then yesterday someone in Eircom calls me to say my line is connected and gave me my phone no! When I asked him how did he connect it, he said it was all prewired and they just needed to connect something to turn on the whole block! And I was going to pay connection!! so confused :confused: Are they all bad out there???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tanith wrote:
    Thanks a mil for the advice guys, was looking to set up phone and broadband. I also think Eircom are scammers! I tried to get our phone line in 2months ago and they were charging us connection fee as ours wasn't prewired so i asked how come there is a connection in my hall and they said sometimes builders put in fake connections! I was very suspicious and they had told me the earliest it would be was the new year. I got a bill 2 days ago for connection which I was to send back to them within 10 days or else I'd lose my place in line. And then yesterday someone in Eircom calls me to say my line is connected and gave me my phone no! When I asked him how did he connect it, he said it was all prewired and they just needed to connect something to turn on the whole block! And I was going to pay connection!! so confused :confused: Are they all bad out there???

They were probably half right. There should be one live phone point in your house. This will usually be located in the room closest to the DP box outside the house. On ours, this was at the back of the house, so our live phone point was in our bedroom.

The wiring was there to have a phone point in the living room also, but the socket wasn't wired up to it, so we had to get a sparks in to do this for us.

Advertisement