Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

screw thread types for plastics

• 19-12-2006 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

could anyone offer me any advice on what sort of thereads to use when trying to secure metal to plastic.
    ideally i dont want to use self tapping screws as i would like the part to be able to be removed and re-used again. the plastic im using is ertalyte, need to use that for its surface finish qualitys. and i need a small screw size(im presently using m5 but this is inadequete at securing the piece)
    is there any other thread types or applications anyone has used or can reccommed to me?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

What about using a bolt? Or if that's not an option could you glue some more material onto the opposite side to build it up a bit and give th screw more to grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I don't see why you can't use self-tappers: these can be taken out again quite easily. Depends on the thickness of material you are securing to - you would need at least 2-3 mm to cut sufficient thead to hold fairly securely. Drill a pilot hole in the metal slightly bigger than the screw size. Pilot drill the plastic slightly smaller than the screw size (approx. 0.5mm)

Advertisement