Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corporate use of XP

• 19-12-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Bit of a wierd one, that I doubt I'll get replys on, but anyway...

We have developed an application that runs on Vista/XP but not 2000 or earlier. So for sales purposes we're trying to figure out what percentage of different markets use XP. For the corporate market, the latest info I can get is the likes of this

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5746046.html

but its nearly 18 months old. Anyone have more up to date numbers?. With support for 2000 going on till 2010 there will always be a core group (I've a brother working for a financial institution still using Windows NT), but I'm trying to get an idea of how widespread it is.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends on the app

if it's an expensive app that needs a high spec pc then you could assume that all the users who would buy your app have the right spec already or haven't the right spec because don't have the money to spend.

if it's a cheap app aimed at general office users who would not be expected to have high spec pc's then it's worth researching

TBH unless every PC in the organisation is going to run your app, the % of PC's running XP is a red herring since they will only install it on the number of machines they need and they probably have enough copies of XP already.

90% of windows licenses are OEM,
    so if a machine has warranty then it's most likely got XP
    admittedly much of the other 10% are corporate users.

have a look around http://www.theregister.co.uk they have stats like that time to time, probably in a "we aren't buying vista because we haven't moved to windows 2000 yet"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

This is the thing you see... it doesn't require a high spec machine, and its a general enough application for anyone to use, but is targeted towards laptops (and probably sales people and managers), but it can't run on Win2000 or before because a lack of an important feature in that version of windows.

I'll have a quick goo at the register though. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's the important feature? Is there a library or MS patch that you can bundle with the installer to "upgrade" Win2k to allow it to use your application?

I would never write a business application for NT4 or Win98. Win 2k has been end-of-life since June 2005, but because of it's strong similarities to WinXP (they're both considered to be WinNT 5.0) and general forward-compatibility, a lot of corporates are happy to hold onto it.

Advertisement