Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part of my tooth has fallen out!

• 19-12-2006 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Hi there.
    Have a bit of a problem, about 1/3 of one of my toothth is after falling out while I was eating my tea. Does anyone know would they have to pull it out or could I just get some cap or something? It will take a few days to get a dental appointment and I am worried...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

might be ok still if the roots are sound, and theres a solid mm or two above the gumline. also depends on the tooth if its big or small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Teeth dont usually break for no reason.....usually decay had undermined the toth and caused a fracture. As long as the little nerve is not dead inside the tooth a dentist can build the tooth back up after removing the decay. If a lot of the tooth is gone sometimes a dental crown is advised to prevent the rest of the tooth from breaking in the future. If the nerve is dead however you may need a root canal treatment. If the tooth is not painful then dont panic....your dental appointment in a few days will be fine.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If it was just a break, accidental and no underlying issues, it can be filled with dentine and enamel. Takes about 10 minutes and it will be as good as new except for a little sensitivity for a few weeks. If the tooth has been damaged or the root damaged, it might need further surgery.

Giblet wrote:
    it can be filled with dentine and enamel.

Just to clarify....a filling material is called composite (glass particles and a resin glue) is used to patch up the defect. Dentine and Emamel are what the hard part of natural teeth are made of. Sometimes the colour of the composite material comes in a "dentine" shade and and "enamel" shade which can be combined to recreate very natural looking teeth. However it is still a composite filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh ;) Just when I was getting it done, that's what the dentist said.

Works well all the same ;>

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭eimearnll

this also happened to me,once you have no pain it means the root is ok mine was just filled ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

eimearnll wrote:
    this also happened to me,once you have no pain it means the root is ok mine was just filled ;)

im afraid not, badly decaying teeth with infected nerves can sit there asymtomatic with no pain, what dentists do is drill all the decay out and ensure water clear margins, if the nerve is exposed either the dentist goes straight to root canal, extraction, or alternatively places a medicine on the nerve and then fills it ADVISING the patient to return for root canal if they have bad pain from it again.
    All three treatment options are accepted as viable alternatives and depend on practice philosophy of dentist, patient finances and other clinical reasons like how badly inflamed nerve is, how big exposure is, whether it would be preferable to root canal tooth to gain retention of a crown on the tooth.

The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical/dental advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, dental professional, or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical/dental condition. Never disregard professional medical/dental advice or delay in seeking it because of Content found on this forum.

Advertisement