Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones

Options
  • 19-12-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Here's some pics of what we have built so far. There's another 2 sections to build still.
    No skating yet. Don't even try. There's broken glass and pitbulls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

lookin good, the parks are rollin finally, cant wait till its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

let me be the first to say SWEET! well done.
    any pics of the final blueprint?
    and good look keeping all the little fecks from skating before its ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Well done, its looking great!!! I'll ask for directions when its finished.
    To anyone out there even thinking of skating this before its open you take your life in your hands MUHAHA
    Trucks to the side of the head are not a pretty sight!!!
    This is so good I think greystones is closer to me than bushy and know that I'm driving!
    Summer 07.... the first summer EVER in existance in this country that we have good skater built 'crete to skate! Hats Off...well done...can I buy you a beer??
    Its been a long wait guys but hey it just makes the heart grow fonder!
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

Jesus.... 2 years ago, a crete park in ireland was just outta the question, i couldve never even hoped for sumthin like it to happen! now theyre poppin up all over the country! its like a dream come true!!!! :D best part is that we havnt even got any crappy crete parks yet and id say we probably wont! id say next summer ireland could be put on the map for havin good skate spots! seriously there'll be one of these in every park in ireland in about 10 years!

As the song says we've lit the fuse and it's about to go BANG!!!!

On a serious note, development on the Monkstown park hasnt started.
    I was chatting to Pat in Lazy Dog and he said the council have seen the success of Lucan and Bushy and they want theirs to be the best!! Cool.
    I was worried when I saw pictures of flat-pack ramps in the reception of the fitness center.
    Apparently they are still seeking someone to manage the build.
    Anyone wanna step up and take it on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Kenjd wrote:
    Summer 07.... the first summer EVER in existance in this country that we have good skater built 'crete to skate! Hats Off...well done...can I buy you a beer??
    Its been a long wait guys but hey it just makes the heart grow fonder!
    :D:D:D

Oh Kenneth, you've just entered a world of (financial & liver) pain
    CANY YOU BUY MARKY-MARK A BEER????!!!!!??????
    That'd be a yes.

He's at da bar waitin for ya :D
    Jigga-jezza is behind that bar

Road-trip for da 07: Bushy to Lucan to Greystones to Gorey
    Man, my knees won't be able to take it!
    Happy Crimbo

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chong1

JahEerie wrote:

Road-trip for da 07: Bushy to Lucan to Greystones to Gorey
    Man, my knees won't be able to take it!
    Happy Crimbo

JohnBoy

Thats an awesome idea, keep us posted on that!

Road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Road trip..
    I'm up for that lads!!! Finishing off in some pub would be a great idea!! I can drive now so bring it on!!!
    Or we can end up in my gaff sessioning the micro-mini till the wee hours! And no-one can kick us out!!!!
    ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP
    Say it with me
    ROAD TRIP ROAD TRIPROAD TRIP ROAD TRIPROAD TRIP ROAD TRIPROAD TRIP ROAD TRIP

I have a car who else has??? so i can take 4 people!!!

Hey chong we should arrange it well advance so you can come to dublin cos your in Dundalk, is that right? Sure, you can kip in my gaff if you want!
    I need to have advance notice cos i work weekends which given the current state of Bushy is a blessing. I.E. busier at weekends! But to plan anything i need good notice!
    Just thinking we could always rent a mini bus, it wouldn't cost that much and we'd be able to have sneaky beers etc!!! Yes I am over 18 thats not what i meant!!! Just in Bushy our plastic bottles could be full of beer or meth.:D :D That would make the skating a lot more interesting when we get to the final skatespot!!! Oh no....bad idea!!! Thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chong1

Kenjd wrote:
    Hey chong we should arrange it well advance so you can come to dublin cos your in Dundalk, is that right? Sure, you can kip in my gaff if you want!
    I need to have advance notice cos i work weekends which given the current state of Bushy is a blessing. I.E. busier at weekends! But to plan anything i need good notice!
    Just thinking we could always rent a mini bus, it wouldn't cost that much and we'd be able to have sneaky beers etc!!! Yes I am over 18 thats not what i meant!!! Just in Bushy our plastic bottles could be full of beer or meth.:D :D That would make the skating a lot more interesting when we get to the final skatespot!!! Oh no....bad idea!!! Thoughts??

Yeah man, sounds awesome, we've got plenty of time to organise it anyway's, i'm sure it'll be a summer thing. Yeah, i'm up in dundalk, and a place to kip wud be sound. I also drive so i'm sure we can get a good crew goin! Laterz man.

P.L.R.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

looks like it could be the best park so far. I'm looking forward to riding it!

Any idea when its going to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Start of February sometime. Thats the promise anyway. Bear in mind there under a ton of pressure from the council. Dick Roche fronted the cash and he's been sharpening his scissors for months. So the ribbon cutting should hopefully be around then.

Dick Roche...hehehe..... wouldn't mind seeing him bail!
    Was speaking to some Guards in Bushy the other day, cool lads, but they wouldn't drop in!!!
    It's quite funny but a LOT of people dont really know why the councils are building "these" type of "structures",
    Let's revel in it and open their minds!! hehehe
    Sorry am a bit p1ssed!!!
    Nigh
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 puremagic diarm

sweeeet!

lets just hope its finished bu summer and not another repeat of the lucan skate park bluiding a park in the middle of summer soooo stupid! they were asking for trouble!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Now it is getting close to opening can someone post some detailed information as to where this is? I live near enough to greystones but dont know the area well? Even a rough idea would be sweet.

Its beside Jackie Skelly's among all the new development in Charlesland. You can't miss it. If in doubt drive to Greystones and ask anyone. None of that stuff was there 3 years ago. Its basically the new town they've tacked onto the side of Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 fionn001

AJG wrote:
    Its beside Jackie Skelly's among all the new development in Charlesland. You can't miss it. If in doubt drive to Greystones and ask anyone. None of that stuff was there 3 years ago. Its basically the new town they've tacked onto the side of Greystones.

near to the dart station? or how far is it from that.

any more progress pictures

Its a 25 minute walk at least. If your feeling fit. Otherwise the 184 goes right by it. But you'd be better off walking. North Wicklow isn't served very well by public transport. Basically anyone in the town will be able to point you in the direction of Charlesland/Jackie Skelly's.

As for progress, I'm not sure. I usually go up there about once a week and its being hampered big time by the weather. I'm almost afraid to ring the guys and ask hows the concreting going. I'll be up there Saturday so any major revelations and I'll let you know.

Hi.
    I did a search on mapquest and found the following map!
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=IE&addtohistory=&city=Greystones
    It'll help everyone find it a bit easier I think.
    Cheers
    Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

it seems to be moving but not very quickly. i check it out most weekends. i just dont know how they expect to get it finished even nearly on time in this weather, especially when they dont work saturdays for ome wierd reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mark Wojton

Not working saturdays!?
    Ha. Lets see....ten 16 hour days finishing concrete in the dark, no tea break like some lazy folks, 15 minute lunch break and Tim and I worked the three days up til christmas including christmas eve. Would have worked christmas but figured that would be a good day to catch up on paperwork. Back on site the next day.
    The rest of the park is getting done with a volumetric mixer and a concrete pump. We'll set up lights and do 18 hour days if needed. Our last bit of concrete was done in those high winds the other day and finished in pouring rain. Weather doesn't mean anything to skatepark builders who actually skate.

i didnt question how hard working you are, nor do i doubt it. especially with the likes of Tim up there. we all know how hard he works. i just couldnt understand why when i have gone up to have a look for the last few saturdays, there is never anyone there.

sorry if i haved ennoyed you Mark Wojton. im not trying to say anything personal about anyone that is working there. i mean you dont have to list what tim and yourself do. i am just pointing out as an objective observer what seems to be the situation. I was just making the point before, because it seems odd when you see the council workers in the town working on a saturday but there is no movement up there, particularily if the weather is good.

luapenak
    Why not offer Mark some help??? Just a thought. Talking to him on Sunday and hopefully it'll be open mid March! They were knee deep in mud there a couple of days in a row, and 'crete is a b*tch to work with in this weather.
    Whats the rush anyway, surely we all want it to be perfect and not a botch job.
    I've been waiting/skating for 17 years so I can wait another couple of months.

i didn't say there was a rush. although i dont know how the council feel about that. As for a botch job. that is one of the reasons i was pointing this out. I have been up there on some saturdays when the weather has been much better than it has been throughout the week. presumably the job would be less likely to be a "botch job" if it were completed in more favourable conditions (by the way Mark, just incase you get the wrong idea, i am not trying to imply that it will be a botch job at all, nor do i believe it will be. i am just replyng to Kenjd) .it is just odd to see other council contractors working on saturdays and not them. i just metioned in a post in the hope that someone would reply as to why they dont? and by them i do not refer to any individual but the company or contractor or whoever is in charge. as for individuals working particularily hard. i know they are. it is not necessary to point such things out. i also understand that the conditions are sh*t , hence why i mentioned that, although Mark insists that it is not a hindrance: "Weather doesn't mean anything to skatepark builders who actually skate." As far as im concerned the fact that you are skaters is irrelivant to the weather (although obviously it has its benifits in the design). no matter how hard you work the weather still is in impedance if your working with soil and concrete.

I realized I might be taking that comment the wrong way in hindsight.
    I'm in charge. If we're not there when you are there it's for one of several reasons. Late start or early finish, all work is done except concrete or awaiting materials, we were moving from our old house or looking for new housing.
    I think the fact that we all skate makes the weather more tolerable because we value the final product. I have seen many contractors walk away from concrete just because of some rain. For example, 99% of the concrete surfaces in this country. I should say, it's because we care rather than we skate.
    The greatest hinderance on this project is not the weather but rather the horrendously low standards of the concrete companies in this country. Summer or winter they continuously blow it. Soil is of little concern at this point because most of the site is covered by either concrete or stone.
    I say progress is just fine regardless of the weather. The place is just big.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

hey guys,

can anyone post some more pics of the progress. or send some to info@goreyskateclub.com

we have updated our skateparks page so all the skateparks accross ireland and whats happening are listed there.

Goreyskatepark is due to open next week, ROSPA have been and need to give wexford coco their report and some signage is needed, after that, its opened.

we have a new skate shop also in Gorey, Wreckless. www.wreckless.ie, free postage on 99% of goods,

cheers lads

grant

http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/skate/word/2997

Nice new pic of greystones i havent seen before!!!

• Advertisement

Advertisement