Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever heard of 'Farboud', 'GHE' or 'MBR' cars?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

- Did you ever hear of UK-manufactured 'Farboud', 'GHE' or 'MBR' cars??

- Did you know that New Zealand has 14 car companies ??

I bought a magazine (Encyclopedia!) in Eason's yesterday called '2006/2007 World Of Cars' which has listings/photos/specs for ever make of car produced around the world, and is a really interesting read.

It will keep me entertained for months to come (on and off) !!

Apparently it's been published by a Polish company for the last 10 years.

Great read!

www.theworldofcars.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got one yesterday called "Naff Motors" by Tony Davis. brilliant book. much more in depth than "Crap Cars" and featuring 102 totally rubbish cars
    Nothing less than a catalogue of the most courageous motoring disasters of all time, Tony Davis has stepped behind the wheel of some of the world's most notoriously bad cars. From the 1958 Ford Edsel, which made 'Edsel' a byword for failure, to the much-loved travesty that was the P76 (when people took in the P76 for warranty work they provided a list of things that didn't need fixing), these cars really are the pits. Bad design, appalling execution, ridiculous pretensions, ludicrous names -- this detailed and hilarious look at automotive atrocities from the 1950s to the present day is nothing les than a motoring Hall of Shame.

101 of the world's most downright awful cars are given the once-over, from the East German Trabant, with its cotton-reinforced body, to the dafter-than-you'd-believe-possible Lightburn Zeta Sports, via the Corvair, Cedric, Pinto and Imp. It's all here -- the harebrained, the unsightly, the excruciatingly dull and the magnificently unsuccessful.

From Alfa to Zeta, from the tiny to the gargantuan, and from the endearingly incompetent to the bombastically stupid, Naff Motors will leave you not only laughing, but also wondering how so many car manufacturers got away with so much for so long.
    Naff_Motors.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Book should be a help for the "Guess what this is" threads that crop up here :)

Anyway I have never heard of those 3 makes and my own car encyclopedia doesn't mention them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Farboud has been in EVO a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

presume they're all two seater sportscars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Farboud have been featured a few times in various mags, looks a bit like the Mclaren F1. From memory, founded by a very rich bloke who couldn't find what he wanted elsewhere. MBR used to be a kit-car crowd I think, don't know about the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I merely threw out these car names as examples of what is in the magazine.......there are also lots more car makes that I have never heard of before.

Well worth getting the mag. (STG £6.95)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Silvera wrote:

You can download the 2005/2006 edition in PDF form for free from the above site until Christmas :) 60MB.

The Russian section is particularly amusing, they're still manufacturing most of those horrible old sh1tboxes from the Soviet era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I got on Monday and I'll be reading it for months to come too by the looks of it, I particularly like the modified german cars and the Porsche 911 shooting brake built by a Swiss company. It never ceases to amaze me how the Chinese get away with building such hideous cars, take the Jinma QJM 5022 TYN on page 236 for example, it most be the most hideous car in the book, how does one even go about getting funding to build such a yoke.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

That magazine has been around for a lot longer than 10 years, i have an edition from I992 and even then there were cars that were more than 30 years in production.

From the new edition i saw this week, there are a lot of companies in South America and even in Australia, although mostly kit based.

There is also some companies that are actually tuning companies as opposed to making a car from scratch so I think they should have been left out.

The U.S. has a lot of small kit car manufacturers, but there was also a few surprises such as the Renault 5 Mark 1 still built in Iran, the Peugeot 504 in Argentina, opel-derived Daewoos in Romania, an exact replica of an Isetta bubble car from the U.K, an 98 micra built in Taiwan, the Fiat 131 in Turkey and Egypt, The Zastava range from Serbia and one that caught my attention, the 1992 Nissan Sunny in Thailand.

It appears that small booted cars not available here are very popular in developing ecomomies such as a Renault Thalia (clio with a boot), Fiat Siena/Albea (punto with a boot), Opel Corsa, a 1996 Ikon (a fiesta with a boot).

In Russia, there seems to be a lot of big foot vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Saw a Farboud at Motorsport show in NEC a few years back, 2001 or so, twas nice, but if I had that much money to spend on a car Id get a known car, a 575 Maranello or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement