Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Would I Need To Survive A Month?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey,

Just wondering... as you all live in Dublin.... How much money would I need to survive for a month until I start getting paid. I know it's only a rough amount but including deposit, rent.... any other expenses I don't really know about... I need a 'target' to save for and then move. I hope.

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

if your talking bare minimum you could probably get by on about 300. but thats sans bills like rent electricity et all. you should be able to get enough food in tescos or dunnes and maybe have a pint or two on about 60 a week. but theres no eating out, cinema, clubbing etc and what you have left should cover transport in and out of work if your using public transport and the odd lunch (take a hint and make your own, it'll save ya a fortune)

TBH the rent things your big problem and it really depends on your circumstances i.e where you rent. generally you can get a one bedroom appartment for around 850 a month if you shop around and they'll probably demand two months up front as a deposit so all in all your probably talking about 2850 quid all together just to be on the safe side. i wont lie it'll be rough as **** but its only 4 weeks. on the plus side all bills now are bi monthly so you wont get your first NTL, electricity, gas till the end of your secound month in the place. good luck dude :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

If you're willing to share a place somewhere you'll probably be looking at 500 a month plus the month's deposit, so that 1000 straight off the bat.

After that with some careful budgeting you could get through the month on about 300 as already mentioned.

Cooking stuff like a giant shepard's pie and then freezing it in portions can make you enough dinners for about 5 days, maybe more. Ditto for bolognase or stew. A whole chicken costs about 4 euro but you can get at least 3 dinners out of it; roasted the first night, pie/curry the next night, leftovers from second night and then you can make a soup out of the carcass.

These are just a couple of suggestions from the food side, see the Food/Drink forum for more.

The other thing to think about is that if you wanted something like BB you sometimes have to pay a connection fee straight off so maybe hold off on that or if you really need it, make sure you've done your research before hand and have saved the appropriate amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Without bills and rent, it's relativly easy to do on 70 a week. Lidl and Tesco's are your friend. As is walking.

With rent and bills though, you can add a fair bit onto that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Fajitas! wrote:
    Without bills and rent, it's relativly easy to do on 70 a week. Lidl and Tesco's are your friend. As is walking.

With rent and bills though, you can add a fair bit onto that.

the greatness that is lidi's is that you can live for 15 euro a week...

altho.. it wasnt a fantastic week, house sitting for my aunt. food came to 15 euro for the week, sans salt, suger, tea-bags.

i think i spent less then 20 that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

altho.. it wasnt a fantastic week, house sitting for my aunt. food came to 15 euro for the week, sans salt, suger, tea-bags.
    I wouldn't want to live in a world without teabags.

OP, with enough research, you could easily manage 100 a week. This would of course, involve finding someone who will give you a room for nothing (or less than nothing), and spending most of your time sitting around entertaining yourself.

I would go with credit. If you're moving to Dublin to start a job, get your hands on a credit card and a loan of some cash for your first month's rent. This would require some serious self-control however to avoid going drinking on your credit card (*never* a good idea, been there many times).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Rent E400
    Food E400
    Travel E60
    Misc E200

Bills - You shouldn't have to pay any within a month.

My total comes to E1060. I'd add on another E140 to make it a nice round
    E1200. I'm not particularly frugal, but there are ALWAYS unforseen expenses.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

rediguana wrote:
    Rent E400
    Food E400
    Travel E60
    Misc E200

Bills - You shouldn't have to pay any within a month.

My total comes to E1060. I'd add on another E140 to make it a nice round
    E1200. I'm not particularly frugal, but there are ALWAYS unforseen expenses.

Good luck!

Oops! Forgot about deposit. I guess make that an even rounder E1500.

Advertisement