Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop shutdown speed?

• 19-12-2006 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

I was wondering how long it takes your laptops to shut down. I've an inspiron 6400 which takes an absolute age to shutdown (offhand: maybe a minute). My gf's laptop a HP, takes half the time to shutdown and i'm not sure if my shutdown speed is normal... any suggestions?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You could try this. I know my laptop used to take forever to shutdown and I found out that Trillian was preventing the computer from shutting down faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Shutdown speeds vary depending on how much is running on your system in the background all the time.

If your GF's machine is new and you've had yours a while this is normal but there is likely stuff running the background that you no longer use that you could turn off. Its relatively easy to turn off these if you are a little bit techy. Unless you know everything, it is unlikely you'll be able to turn off all the services and background programs you don't want. Its a little hard to explain what exactly these are online.

I'd suggest if your happy with everything else speed wise with your laptop and you run Windows XP/2000 then you enable hibernation and start using that. You'll need free space to amount of RAM your laptop has. Hibernation essentially dumps what is in memory (RAM) onto your hard drive and then turns off the computer. When you turn your computer back on, it then puts what was in memory but is now on the hard disk, back into memory (RAM) and restores the computer to the state it was in before you hibernated. This is an excellent feature of XP IMO and I use all the time. It rarely if ever fails (had it happen once in about 4-5 years). Hibernation means when you turn on your computer again, all the windows you had open will be restored too so if you always use the same few programs, you can have them on all the time this way and never have to start or close them again.

You can enable this option in control panel by opening the power options for your laptop. Go to hibernation tab and enable hibernation. You can also set on the last tab, for the computer to hibernate when you press the power button on your laptop so you can just press that to hibernate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Thanks for the replies guys they've been very helpful. I downloaded and ran that hive cleaner-up-er. Thanks Ruu, fingers crossed that'll work!
    Thanks to my fellow maynoothian for that hibernation tip. My computer is considerably faster than hers yet still it's very slow at shutting down. i use msconfig to tweak around if that's what you mean? The only time i tried to hibernate i crashed! but it sounds like a good idea and i'll definitely investigate it though.
    Thanks again!:)

Advertisement