Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for home network?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have recently swapped my ZyXEL ADSL Prestige 600 for one of the eircom wireless routers, i'm on IOL BB

Before this, I had the ZyXEL plugged into a hub (ethernet) and the PC's on the network plugged into the hub. This worked fine as we share the one printer, share files etc.. A little in-efficent but anyhow

When I went to swap the ZyXEL with the eircom Netopia ADSL router, the method above wouldnt work, it will only work when the PC's are plugged straight into the Netopia router (I'm putting this down to routing tables)

Question is, can I still use the router as a means of communication for the home network? ie. still share files and use the one printer (printer is hooked into machine, not a server)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you need a router not a hub or switch quite simply, the eircom router will only allow one IP assignment on its ethernet port, so a hub/switch will not work i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The router has 4 ports. If I plug 4 different PC''s into the router will they be able to communicate or will they all be on different networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

DHCP will assign each an individual address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

stanley1 wrote:
    DHCP will assign each an individual address.

OK, just if CCNA recalls, each port on a router was a seperate network!

Advertisement