Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MERGED: Bogus Callers/ClothesCharity collectors or casing your house?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Can people be on the lookout for bogus callers - i was at home on Tues 8th when i heard tapping at my front door - i went out and there was a young guy about 12-13 at the door looking a bit shocked when i opened the door, he made up a story that his friend told me that i was selling scrap copper - i told him to leave my property ( bit more forcefull than that ) and he ran off and got into a waiting silver/grey transit van reg 06 D .... i think he possilby was checking the side door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

whereabouts was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Apologies

Charlesland Wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ash760

Just wondering if there have been any break ins in the area recently so we can keep an eye out. Maybe I live in a bubble but its been really quiet around since I moved in around May 2005 and I feel really safe in my house but I was out at the weekend and heard a nasty story about a break in where they not only stole things in the house but also destroyed the place seemingly for the sake of it. I hope its not true. Anybody know any thing about it????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I know its been covered before, but lately the frequency of so called clothes collections for third world countries has increased to a near daily occurence in charlesland. It is obvious that many have gotten the message that these are in fact bogus collections for charity and that the number of "donations" has decreased. Therefore it begs the question why these people are prepared to do laps of the estate and use fuel for nothing. Vans are usually beat up old transits sometimes with old company logos left partially on. As soon as you see them, just call the Gardai. I know that anytime I have, the Gardai have expressed no surprise. These people may be casing you or your neighbours house. Why risk it? Get rid of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Take the rego of the van, write it down and ring the guards. It is obvious that some people have worked out, most of the residents of charlesland have to work to pay their enormous mortgages. So the bogus callers, charity collections etc are just gangs casing the estate. The guards unfortunately do not arrive or question the occupants of the "transit" vans closely enough to deter them. If enough of us start reporting specific regos on a regular basis then maybe they will be forced to pay attention to the fact that Charlesland is seen as a soft target.
    We rang the guards this week to report a charity collector who was hanging around a neighbors house, they same van was still driving around the estate 3 hours later, obviously undeterred by the Gardai!

• Advertisement
Advertisement