Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphones

Options
  • 19-12-2006 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion for a good microphone that isn't to expensive (100-200$). Probably to be used as an over head drum mic/other stuff mic(guitar etc.) Which mics are good for what anyway? (large diaphragm cond. , pencil mics) so on and so forth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I haven't actually heard this in action but for the price it seems to be rated by many as a pretty damn fine microphone. Studio Projects B1 and here it is on eBay at a price that would leave change in your budget for a mic stand and a pop filter and a few Guinness for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

restin84 wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion for a good microphone that isn't to expensive (100-200$). Probably to be used as an over head drum mic/other stuff mic(guitar etc.) Which mics are good for what anyway? (large diaphragm cond. , pencil mics) so on and so forth

Concur with Frobishers suggestion...there are a few other chinese made options that suit your budget, SE comes to mind.

I like LD for strummy stuff, SD for intricate fingerpicking. But you'd probably be better with an SD if you are using it for a drum overhead too.

My personal favourite in your price range, would be the MXL 603. I've got a couple and it loves acoustics. A little bright on drum OV's, so it needs EQ or darker cymbals. A very nice mic for the price though.

Nathan

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

www.red5audio.com
    I haven't used them myself, but the reviews are good. I understand they a 14 day money back guarantee if your not happy.
    Great prices.

Cheers

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aesthetik

akg c100s is a good overhead and pretty versatile too.

you can get them for less than 200 with a mic stand and xlr from

www.thomann.de

i got mine on ebay for E125.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

aesthetik wrote:
    akg c100s is a good overhead and pretty versatile too.

you can get them for less than 200 with a mic stand and xlr from

www.thomann.de

i got mine on ebay for E125.

Have a couple of these also, mostly for live use, and ocassionally on toms believe it or not.

They are uncomfortably bright also, (way moreso than the 603's) but if they are really going for that price then they are well worth considering.

Plus they have the battery option so you don't need phantom power, which can come in handy sometimes.

Nathan

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

restin84, did you decide on a mic? Just curious.

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 restin84

no i'm waiting for money from my taxes. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Check these out, they're pretty unbelievable for the money. The store doesn't open again until January 8th but a great condensor mic costs 22 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

TelePaul wrote:
    Check these out, they're pretty unbelievable for the money. The store doesn't open again until January 8th but a great condensor mic costs 22 dollars.

Missing link? I'm quite interested in this myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

frobisher wrote:
    Missing link? I'm quite interested in this myself.

Haha my bad!! One sec...

http://naiant.com/studiostore.html

Like I said, the store re-opens n January 8th, and they'll have new stock. It's mostly Small Diaphragm Condensors, but they do a drum mic kit (currently out of stock). Theres a good few sound samples there too. I met the guy who makes them on anotehr forum, very cool guy. I don't own them myself - I'm broke, but hope to order some soon - but I've heard good things and you can listen to the MP3s on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 restin84

Any that are sold in the united states?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Try a rode nt1

REC0002344-000, on musicstorekoeln.de

Great mic.

Jonny

Advertisement