Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What diesel to get 16k to spend

Options
  • 19-12-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Looking at getting a 02 passat TDi 130 sport.Anybody got one?Was also thinking of the mazda 6 2.0TDi.Ideas please guys?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Yeah nice car the 530d.However I don't want to go any bigger than a 2 liter.I do a good bit of milage so ill want less that 70k on the clock.All the BMWs in my price rang have been to the moon lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The Mazda diesel engine is one of the best in the class but not as economical as the rest. The VAG 1.9TDi engine (130bhp) is a nice engine. Friend has one in his A4 Avant. You'll pay a lot for them with reasonable mileage though.

How about Mondeo 2.0TDCi? or the Focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Perhaps not what your looking for but a great value, late´05/early '06 Nissan Navara 19,000 on the clock and home and VRT'd for €14-€15K. More details here

invest4deepvalue.com

Sorry don't do fords.The wife would kill me if I got the Navara lol.Would love a 320d but can't seem to find any with low mileage.Opinions on this please they looks like UK spec TDi 130 Sports.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=524429
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=473706
    Keep them coming lads cheers.

• Advertisement

If it's a Passat you want, this crowd have 44 in stock at present, don't mind the bull on the website, they are mainly end of lease. You'll need to give'm a ring to find out the mileages (they don't answer emails!) lots to choose from that will come in well within your budget. (And the service history won't be lost!;) )

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JB123 wrote:
    Sorry don't do fords.The wife would kill me if I got the Navara lol.Would love a 320d but can't seem to find any with low mileage.Opinions on this please they looks like UK spec TDi 130 Sports.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=524429
    Keep them coming lads cheers.

The Passat was never officially sold in Ireland in Sport trim. Any you are seeing are most likely UK imports. Make sure you get a HPI done on the cars in the UK via the original UK reg or chassis number. This will verify the service history and mileage. There are alot of dodgy clocked motors finding their way over here these days.

The Passat 1.9 TDi 130bhp was offically sold in Baseline, Comfortline, Trendline and Highline trim in Ireland.

Did you consider a Skoda Superb? They are basically a Passat underneath but have huge rear leg room, a huge boot, better equipped and cheaper than the Passat. They are also available with the same130bhp Tdi engine:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=446162
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=538579

As an alternative take a look at the Rover 75, it has a 135bhp detuned version of the BMW 320D engine, lovely interior:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=289765

Don't realy want to the Uk to get a car cheers.The rover 75 and the skoda might be a bridge to far as i'm going from this
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=12258&cat=2
    to a TDi.I know the Passat Sports are all UK cars but the spec is so much better on them.If I buy one I will do thr HPI check.I Also like Audis but they are a bit pricy.thanks for the replys.

JB123 wrote:
    Don't realy want to the Uk to get a car cheers.The rover 75 and the skoda might be a bridge to far as i'm going from this
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=12258&cat=2
    to a TDi.I know the Passat Sports are all UK cars but the spec is so much better on them.If I buy one I will do thr HPI check.I Also like Audis but they are a bit pricy.thanks for the replys.
    That 75 is cheap. I believe they are not as bas as they are made out to be either...

have a look at this website
    http://www.autolinecarsales.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search

I know someone who has bought a few cars from them. Apparently got a good reputation, but most cars coming from UK so do your checks

They have a couple of 307's

JB123 wrote:
    Don't realy want to the UK to get a car cheers.

"Ya pays yer money...."

But it's worth pointing out that for the inconvenience of a weekend in Colchester, you can get yer bum in a '03 Sport for around €13.5K all-in now, flights, ferry, hotel, car, VRT the lot. With €16K to spend you should definetly bag yourself an '04 with change to spare. My advice would be to wait until February if you can, as you will then get a good selection of cars that have come off 3 year lease and the VRT should have dropped with the change in the year aswell.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote:
    My advice would be to wait until February if you can, as you will then get a good selection of cars that have come off 3 year lease and the VRT should have dropped with the change in the year aswell.
    Thats what I'll be doing....going over for a '04/'05 plate Mazda 6 Estate 2litre diesel TS2 spec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Those Passats are very expensive for 5 yr old farmers cars! :D

.. get a Mazda, or a Mondeo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

bazz26 wrote:
    The Passat was never officially sold in Ireland in Sport trim.

The Passat 1.9 TDi 130bhp was offically sold in Baseline, Comfortline, Trendline and Highline trim in Ireland.

I think the Highline is basically the Sport trim from UK but I am not 100%. I know with the Golf Highline here the outer body mouldings are the same as the GT TDi UK but not sure if all interior trim is also matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

I have a 02 passat tdi, 130bhp, 6 speed like you said. Mine is the S version as i recall, came with all the xtras except for the sport seats i think, instead i have heated seats for my bum.
    Car is excellent, a real driving car. You dont feel the miles go by at all. The power in them is unbelievable, doesnt feel like a diesel at all. I have laughed my arse off at many a glanza trying to undertake me on the inside lane. Just floor it, and check out the rearview mirror.
    Legroom all around is excellent, and the front seats are very adjustable (up, down, back forwards, angle, and lumbar support). The climate control was a godsend in the summer, especially with the new baby in the car.
    Speaking of babies, it has quite a large boot of course.
    By default mine came with the standard vw radio, and a 6 disk slot in cd player in the dash. Quite handy.
    God what else can i say about it..I love the car! any questions, let me know.

Oh and its not an old man/farmer car, though i could do without the wood trim in mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Do-more wrote:
    If it's a Passat you want, this crowd QUOTE]

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Have a 02 130Bhp Highline model, its a UK import so has heated seats/cruise control/alloys as standard. The Irish models are a joke compared to our UK rivals. They have nothing, I seen one Irish 130Bhp and it didnt even have a cd player in it. If your buying one get an import!

If going down the road of a UK import make sure and get it HPI'd by the HPI company in the UK, not the Irish one. The Irish HPI company can only check for outstanding finance. Whereas the UK HPI company will check service history, mileage verification, outstanding finance and previous insurance claims including crash/repair history. You will need the chassis number and original UK reg number of the car for this.

Better off spending a weekend over there and getting one yourself rather than buying one already imported off a dealer here for silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

yeah some of the irish spec ones are crap, no cd player, no electrics on the back. also check to make sure that it actually is a 130, as it hasn been known for people to buy red DI badges off the net, and give themselves a power upgrade :)
    you can check in the spare wheel space, there is a sticker in kw of the power. think 130s is supposed to be 97kw or something.
    A lot of good passat info can be found on

www.passatworld.com
    www.ukpassats.co.uk
    vwvortex.com

or your local person who smells like diesel...

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Thats what I'll be doing....going over for a '04/'05 plate Mazda 6 Estate 2litre diesel TS2 spec

I always knew those O'Sullivans were cute hoors! ;)
    Thanks for that.

Nae bother. Just don't make the same mistake as I did, give'm £10 thinkin' I would get more info online, text alerts etc. Paid the tenner and got nothing, no alerts nothin' emails just come bouncin' back!! Like I said you have to phone.

If you want to figure if say a 53 reg is 2003 or 2004 just enter the reg in the number plate here and it will give you the year of first registration, without it costing anything.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    I always knew those O'Sullivans were cute hoors! ;)
    :eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replys guys.
    I think I will go for a UK spec Passat Sport in the new year.I have to say I hate that damn wood dash on the Irish models lol.
    I'v got sick of blowing Glanaza's off the road with my Integra so thats not an issue.But I am gonna miss that sweet sweet VTEC for over taking trucks.
    I might just go to the UK anybody know a decent garage in Liverpool or Holyhead??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Coming from an ITR, you're really going to miss the power. But the early and sudden kick of torque from turbo diesels is a nice change over petrols, and fool you into thinking they are quicker than they really are.
    You should really test drive a nice low milage passat first, one thats a bit newer than you intend on buying, no matter what the price is, cause then you will get a feel for what a good one should drive like. Often with turbo diesels that have been dogged, you can find the gearbox all slushey and they're hard to start, and generally a little bit too worn.
    Be careful of the TDI badges on passats too, as VW changed them so often they mean nothing anymore regarding red letters on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

maidhc wrote:
    Those Passats are very expensive for 5 yr old farmers cars! :D

.. get a Mazda, or a Mondeo.
    :mad: city slicker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Sam Kade wrote:

I'm a (part time) farmer, actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sam Kade wrote:

You actually went through the trouble of signing up for boards.ie, just to post that as your very first post, Sam Kade?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i got a volvo s40 recently 1.9td lovely powerful car , economical, loads of extras and all for a good price.. test drive 1 there lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Looks like someone beat them to it. It was sold today.

bazz26 wrote:
    Looks like someone beat them to it. It was sold today.

That's a pity, that "Wall Nut Wood"* is supposed to be real nice! :D:D

* see carzone description.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Can we expect your sig to change to
    :( DIESEL :(

Advertisement