Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer Service versus 'Buying Irish'

Options
  • 19-12-2006 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

Increasingly disappointed by the amount of Irish retail stores being replaced and monopolised by foreign (mainly British) stores whose offers and stock are often too good for most (including myself) to pass on (especially with the limited alternatives), I will still try wherever possible to buy Irish. This evening, however, I was victim to possibly the worst customer service in a well known Irish music store.

This left me feeling annoyed and disappointed! I lengthened my journey which took me past 2 British music stores in order to spend my money there. I don't think there are many people out there that would do the same.

In the face of such opposition should these stores not want to provide the best service possible?

What do I do? Buy British in a store I don't want to for the service, or put up with bad service because my money is helping Irish business?

I must stress that I have been in other branches of this retailer (that haven't thus far closed!!) and haven't come across anything this bad, but this experience tonight got me thinking about it.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Buy British
    And here was me thinking that "buy Irish" always referred to Irish produce, not just Irish stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

And here was me thinking that "buy Irish" always referred to Irish produce, not just Irish stores.

It does refer to Irish produce as well, but when you buy products from a British store, the majority of the money must go back there, it can't be staying in Ireland - except for wages and possibly rent I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

A lot of the money would go to non Irish companies anyway as,unless you buy all Irish DVD's and Cd's, Foreigners get the royalties from the items,packaging,shipping. They all add up.

The company since it is located in Ireland still pays tax's here so the country gets some money anyway.

So,draw your own conclusion. I personally believe that we are a world market place now and very few major companies here are purely Irish owned so I will buy from whoever has the cheapest/best service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Put your grievances into a letter and post it to the manager. It might, or might not, acheive anything, but you will feel better for having voiced your opinion.

I had a terribly over-priced meal in a restaurant tonight, with poor-enough service and tiny portions. I will be writing a letter tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've always found that by "buying Irish" I get a poorer quality good for a higher price. But maybe that's just me...

• Advertisement

I know that the products in a music store are mainly sourced from out of Ireland and therefore that's money going out of the country, but the profits stay here. I just think we should support Irish businesses where possible and was posed with a dilemma when I came across such bad service!

I know we are in a world market today, and that that's not going to change, but I guess I feel that there are just too many foreign chain stores on our streets that make the place look as if you could be in Nottingham or Manchester - or any number of generic high streets.

I guess writing a letter would make me feel slightly better, but I also wanted to know what others thought / how they choose to shop with regard to supporting Irish business. It is true that buying Irish sometimes means spending more, and you have to think of your pocket over anything at times, but music retail is on a pretty even keel with regard to prices give or take a few quid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

You're not doing anyone any favours by blindly buying Irish. It allows crap companies to continue to be crap because they can rely on a core customer base to support them based on their nationality rather than their product /service.

They will never grow and generate wealth and employment for the country. They will just hold the country back.

The best thing you can do to support Irish industry is to seek the best at all times, regardless of origin. Force the Irish suppliers to rise to the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

Sarsfield wrote:
    The best thing you can do to support Irish industry is to seek the best at all times, regardless of origin. Force the Irish suppliers to rise to the challenge.

There are strong ecological and political arguments for buying locally produced goods, minimising the environmental impact of production and for limiting the economic power of large chains by supporting individual retailers. Tesco has almost absolute control of dairy produce and is, in effect, subsidised by EU quotas because farmers lose money producing milk and cheese. You can't buy green beans except from Kenya, Israel or even further away (imported by air), the same with many vegetables and cut flowers. The only affordable abalone has been flown fresh from Cork to Japan, tinned and shipped back. It is really worth supporting good local shops and local suppliers even when it costs more, otherwise every town will look identical - Tesco, M&S, WH Smith, Debenhams and not a single fishmonger, butcher or greengrocer left.

It is also worth saying that fish is cheaper across the board in a fishmonger, meat in a butcher's and vegetables in a greengrocer, but supermarket loss leaders are very effective in convincing people that supermarkets are cheaper.

Sarsfield wrote:
    You're not doing anyone any favours by blindly buying Irish. It allows crap companies to continue to be crap because they can rely on a core customer base to support them based on their nationality rather than their product /service.

They will never grow and generate wealth and employment for the country. They will just hold the country back.

I don't "blindly buy Irish". If you read my posts, you will see that I try where possible but if there are good offers in other stores, it doesn't stop me availing of them just because they are not Irish. I have also said that sometimes your pocket has to rule at the end of the day. I sometimes shop in Tesco over Superquinn because it's cheaper, but if there's a Dunnes nearby, I'll go there instead. Topshop and Miss Selfridge often have nicer clothes than some Irish retailers so I buy them at times. I'm not saying buy Irish at all costs! What I'm saying is, if a CD is 16.99 in an Irish shop and the same/ dearer/ slightly less in an English music store, you should support your own.

Do you want to live in a clone city? It is difficult for Irish businesses to "rise to the challenge" as you put it, when they are up against well established british retailers - with the kind of competition that is currently out there, how are they to even get off the ground unless we give them our custom and support? If they turn out to be too expensive/bad quality/poor value for money then we can make a decision to shop elsewhere. Sometimes there are no alternatives out there and we have to go to British retailers, but if there ARE alternatives and they satisfy your pocket you SHOULD buy Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

It's a tricky one; I am also having a similar problem at the moment.

I would give the Irish store a second chance. If they screw up again, dump them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Me too. I've two electronics stores beside me. I priced my item in the Australian shop and went to the Irish shop. The Irish shop was €10 cheaper on an item for €350. I spent 15 minutes trying to get a sales assistant (they weren't that busy) before I gave up and went into the Aussie shop and asked them to match the price. They did, so they got my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Do you want to live in a clone city? It is difficult for Irish businesses to "rise to the challenge" as you put it, when they are up against well established british retailers - with the kind of competition that is currently out there, how are they to even get off the ground unless we give them our custom and support?

The biggest problem causing the demise of independent is the astronomical rents now being charged by landlords. Add this to the fact that independents do not receive the very large discounts received by multiples and you will see very quickly why every shopping centre & high street now has a sameness about it.

Example - Special Days in Liffey Valley. 2200 sq ft store. Rent up to 2005 was €141,000 per year. Rent review from 2006 increased rent to €381,000 per year! - A €240,000 increase per YEAR! - After arbitration, it was reduced to €332,000 per year!!! - So simple decision was made! Move to the internet where independents can compete directly with large retailers on choice and price as these ridiculous rental prices no longer apply.

Example on pricing - Irish Trivial Pursuit - Cost price €29.82 + VAT @ 21% - reccommended retail price €44.99. (37.18 + VAT) - Retailer Margin = 20%

Smyths price €42.99 (35.53 + VAT) - Special offer Buy 3, pay for 2. - so 3 x Trivial pursuits costs 71.06 + vat from smyths whereas the independent retailer pays the manufacturer (hasbro) 89.46 + VAT for exact same 3 items!

And the good news - The closing sale starts wednesday 27th with a minimum 30% off all stock. - Sorry does not apply to the webstore as this is a separate business.

If I were a taxi driver or farmer, I'd ask the gov for compo - but its business and business must change with the environment that keeps evolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Do you want to live in a clone city?
    Depends on how good the clone city is.

Advertisement