Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion in your college

• 19-12-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

So I went into trinners today to use the library (i'm studying in maynooth) and there seems to be a lot more people who are "dressed to impress" and putting a lot of effort into their appearance, which tbh I don't see as much of out here. What's your college like for fashion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Pff Trinners fashion, try UCD for real fashion. Sometimes I wonder what these people wear when going out they're that dolled up in college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

When I was in UCD, you could see the different groups.

The country lads who lived on campus who always wore the same clothes, but yet still never managed to look scruffy.

The rock/metal heads with their stonewashed jeans and hoodies.

The "normallers": all safe stuff ie Levis / Nike.

The D4/6 lads with chinos, shirts, and roundneck sweaters (Dockers & Ralph and a bit of A&F when it was still half decent).

Of course I belonged to none of the above. :)

As for the birds? O'Neills tracky bottoms and fake tan all round. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Stonewashed jeans?? Jeez, you must be oooold man!!:D

Well obviously there weren't as many students around as during term, but all the girls seemed fairly well done up and there weren't any football jersyies on either sex that I saw. I went in yesterday wearing a shirt, thinking that was smart enough, but I quickly felt out of my depth:( In maynooth a shirt would be considered making an effort I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Here in DIT, gallons of fake tan seem to be the choice of the women here. I feel like I'm walking through Willy Wonka's factory here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Max_Damage wrote:
    Here in DIT, gallons of fake tan seem to be the choice of the women here. I feel like I'm walking through Willy Wonka's factory here.

you must be talking about Aungier Street. im in Kevin Street and theres a very small percentage of girls that go around like this... i mean small.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Misticles wrote:
    you must be talking about Aungier Street. im in Kevin Street and theres a very small percentage of girls that go around like this... i mean small.. :D
    there is one in kevin street though, she also has hair that looks like she has a nest in her hair. *barf*

Cremo wrote:
    there is one in kevin street though, she also has hair that looks like she has a nest in her hair. *barf*

I've seen her around. I reckon the amount of fake tan on her, not even gamma radiation would get through it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

DIT Bolton Street: Dub guys wear tracksuits and football jerseys and Dub girls wear fake tan, mini skirts and Ugg boots. Country guys and girls wear GAA jerseys. The architects are the exception to the rule though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In kevin street. I also know the girl your talking about, the state of her, even i wouldnt shag her.

kevin street grand, everyone seems to dress very casual. See lads in footie jerseys and tracksuits, then people in jeans and t-shirts. Girls usually wear what you'd expect from someone whos going to college and not a night out.

Could do with a few more mini-skirt wearers though. Misticles, inform your friends this is a must for when college starts back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Did the OP really call Trinity "trinners"? Um. O.K.
    With regards to Batemans observation on rock/metal heads wearing stonewashed jeans and hoodies. Jesus. They wouldn't have lasted five minutes at a concert ten years ago.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

In dcu everyone seems be dressed exactly the same. esp in business, I find it quite amusing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

Ha, i'll bring limerick into this!! :D

In Mary I its a bit of everythin really!!!! the majority wear just the casuals..... jeans/trackie bottoms, tshirts etc.... but u do see a lot of girls dressed to impress!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Cremo wrote:

I think i know the one you are talking about... If it is her she is doing a course that is in both campuses.. she has a clone too... the two of them with the exact same hair and a wheelbarrow full of fake tan,

markk06 wrote:
    I think i know the one you are talking about... If it is her she is doing a course that is in both campuses.. she has a clone too... the two of them with the exact same hair and a wheelbarrow full of fake tan,
    you've just proved my theory, there are two of her.

there was one time she walked into a class where i was, i got up to go the the SU store about 10 seconds after she left, only to see her walking out of the toilets.

anyways who wants to guess how many layers of fake tan she's got on?
    perhaps we can ask her and get a prize for the nearest guess.

Cremo wrote:
    anyways who wants to guess how many layers of fake tan she's got on?
    perhaps we can ask her and get a prize for the nearest guess.

Some days she comes in and she's past the "normal" orange stage and into a brown/dark orange stage. I'd reckon there is the best part of 10-15 layers on there.

Every time I walk past her I start hum the Umpa Lumpa tune! :D

I'd love to see her with no tan on at all, she might even look better.

markk06 wrote:

omg i sooo know who you're on about her!! its speed bump, cos of the whole hair style shes got going on....:D

@Chucky: i shall inform them... only 4 other girls in my class... only 2 wear skirts to college and that includes me!

Misticles wrote:
    omg i sooo know who you're on about her!! its speed bump, cos of the whole hair style shes got going on....:D

@Chucky: i shall inform them... only 4 other girls in my class... only 2 wear skirts to college and that includes me!
    ahaha speed bump, what a great name. screw my name of nesty - looks like there's a nest there - speed bump is much better.

yep speed bump!! thought of that all by myself!! yay!
    i dont know what the deal is with tan?! does she not get that people look and think what are you on child!!! some kind of fake tan drugs! fellas just snigger except when she wears see through clothes!! tehe. there are two people in kevin st that just annoy me, and she is one of them! ill not mention the other person....:D

Heh, speed bump, I'll make a note of that! :D

Misticles wrote:

Damn, well spread the word anyway.

If someone does go up to her and asks her how much tan she wears i will pay them money.

• Advertisement

would anyone have the balls to?? she could either laugh it off or be uber humiliated.... hhhmmm. although if she laughed we might get an idea of the layers, only if she cracks one...

Misticles wrote:
    would anyone have the balls to?? she could either laugh it off or be uber humiliated.... hhhmmm. although if she laughed we might get an idea of the layers, only if she cracks one...

Maybe on the last day of the year, I might ask for the laugh (alot of alcohol may need to be taken before hand!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Oh god Nesty. Girl needs to be shot. She knows i hate her, i've said it enough times when she's walked by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

someone please post a pic of this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I was gonna take a pic of her awhile ago and have a tribute to Nesty on my bebo page but i was talked out of it.

i'd take a picture.

but i'd be afraid of her face shattering my camera lense.

orla wrote:
    I was gonna take a pic of her awhile ago and have a tribute to Nesty on my bebo page but i was talked out of it.

by who? they need a stern talking to tbh.

I'm sure you'd find her picture somewhere in those rubbish 'The Compact' DIT publications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

please!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

il gatto wrote:
    Did the OP really call Trinity "trinners"? Um. O.K.

Of course I did, I was just trying to fit in loike??? Are you saying people don't use the word trinners any more? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

You guys must be total roides if you think you can sit on an internet forum making fun of a girl for the quantity of make-up she wears.

Or are you bitter that you wouldn't stand a chance :D;)

yes we are total rides ;), but that aside if you actually saw the amount she wears i think there's less plaster on my walls throughout the whole of my house than make up on her face

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭meanpeoplesuck

haha I can imagine, I've seen some pretty bad cases myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I have to laugh at the phrase "casual-wear" being applied to tracksuits and football jersies, which are, of course, sportswear. Sportswear and casualwear are two entirely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Scraggs wrote:
    Pff Trinners fashion, try UCD for real fashion. Sometimes I wonder what these people wear when going out they're that dolled up in college!

I must agree with this; it's madness sometimes, the fashion walking around UCD.
    Having said that, around our comp sci department...well....:confused:

River Island all the way in NUIG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I was in IT Tallaght, the "fashion" was exactly what you'd expect tbh. Some, myself included, did not conform to the somewhat uniform code of tracksuits, football tops, tacky jewellery and Nike Shockzwhatever runners, but the majority certainly did.

Not an overwhelming majority though, maybe 60:40, but some days you'd swear it was school sports day again, some days you'd swear the entire Celtic team were attending the college...and their reserves...and possibly the under 21s...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i moved from DCU to UCD :eek:....my god the emphasis on appearance for some (most?) UCD girls is riDICulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i moved from DCU to UCD :eek:....my god the emphasis on appearance for some (most?) UCD girls is riDICulous

Aye, its mad isn't it. However, it's more of college wide thing out in Belfield and doesnt specifically attach itself to the girls! Nothing is more revolting than people blatantly ''dressing to impress''. The emphasis and fixation on fashion and appearance with many people in UCD is scary.
    Bateman wrote:
    When I was in UCD, you could see the different groups.

The country lads who lived on campus who always wore the same clothes, but yet still never managed to look scruffy.

The rock/metal heads with their stonewashed jeans and hoodies.

The "normallers": all safe stuff ie Levis / Nike.

The D4/6 lads with chinos, shirts, and roundneck sweaters (Dockers & Ralph and a bit of A&F when it was still half decent).

Of course I belonged to none of the above. :)

As for the birds? O'Neills tracky bottoms and fake tan all round. :(

It's exactly like that! Nearly everyone wears the same specific type of clothing all the time. I'd be one of those few people who would be wearing sporty gear one day, a shirt the next day, a hoodie the next, an AC/DC t-shirt the following, yada yada..... I just cant wear the same style of clothing all the time. Mainly 3 types of styles with blokes 1) Nike/Levi's/t-shirt 2) Sporty/tracksuit/footy shirt 3) ruggers/dubes/any expensive brand of shirt/trousers..... also a worrying lack of ''rockers'' out in UCD.

Ugg boots are the latest fad amongst the ladies out in Belfield and they should be gassed, pathetic stupid fad. Dubes are still rife (with blokes too!), mostly skirts with tights, the amount of of BOPs (Blonde - Orange - Pinks) has dropped a bit in the last year but there's still loads of O'Neill's trackies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

The ubiquitous butt crack is this year's biggest fashion accessory at UCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ugg boots are the latest fad amongst the ladies out in Belfield and they should be gassed, pathetic stupid fad.

They're not the 'latest' fad by any means. It's been going on since 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Scraggs wrote:

What "real fashion"? Trakies, trainers and uggs?:p

Ugg boots are the latest fad amongst the ladies out in Belfield and they should be gassed, pathetic stupid fad. Dubes are still rife (with blokes too!), mostly skirts with tights, the amount of of BOPs (Blonde - Orange - Pinks) has dropped a bit in the last year but there's still loads of O'Neill's trackies!

I had to google what dubes are.

I'm glad I'm out of the loop though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jaysus I'm glad I went to DLIADT. I wouldn't have lasted too long amongst the fake tan wearing geebags and the flicked-up collar douche bags.

To be honest I'm highly suspicious of these "fashion"-obsessed people who can't step outside the door with spending hours plastering on fake tan or making sure their hair has the right amount of product to make them look just enough like a tool (lads you know you do it).

****ing pair of Converse, jeans a hoodie or jumper and you're out the door. Obsessing over what people are wearing is a bit sad and pretty immature to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

When I was in college a few years ago, the girls used to doll up like they're were heading out to a nightclub- why put in so much effort and what the hell would they actually wear to a niteclub?? I was just a jeans and hoodie or t-shirt kinda girl, nice and casual

AnonoBoy wrote:
    Jaysus I'm glad I went to DLIADT. I wouldn't have lasted too long amongst the fake tan wearing geebags and the flicked-up collar douche bags.

It's okay, while parts of Trinity & others look like a fashion show there are many many others who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Maj

Myth wrote:
    It's okay, while parts of Trinity & others look like a fashion show there are many many others who don't.

Agreed, did my undergraduate degree in Trinity down the back (science) end and the proportion of dressed-up people was far lower than in the arts block etc. Most people dressed...well, like students! What always amazed me was that some of the girls in arts carried handbags to lectures, while the rest of us shcmucks dragged around big heavy school bags

Going to Kevin Street now but only part-time in the evenings - must look out for "speed bump" - any tips on where she can be spotted? I'm intrigued!

Maj wrote:
    Going to Kevin Street now but only part-time in the evenings - must look out for "speed bump" - any tips on where she can be spotted? I'm intrigued!
    she's always down near the student union shop near the canteen, or the women's toilets there aswell.

never seen here around though after 5-ish so don't know if that suits your timetable ;)

Maj wrote:
    Agreed, did my undergraduate degree in Trinity down the back (science) end and the proportion of dressed-up people was far lower than in the arts block etc. Most people dressed...well, like students! What always amazed me was that some of the girls in arts carried handbags to lectures, while the rest of us shcmucks dragged around big heavy school bags

It goes without saying that science students are immune to fashion! Ah but seriously, here in maynooth at least there is a often quite a difference between arts and science in terms of fashion....

• Advertisement
Advertisement