Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet dating

• 19-12-2006 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm sure this thread has been posted about a hundred times but I'm looking for some advice.
    It is so difficult to meet someone I click with in a pub/club and up until recently, I thought internet dating was for desperados!! I know, it's an unfair thing to say but nonetheless, a stereotype I can't get away from! I think I'll give it a go...
    Does anyone have any experience or can anyone recommend a good site to join?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I've never tried it properly myself but I know where your comming from. I find it tough to talk to people properly in a club/pub. I've no problems with talking to people but in a club they're not really my type of people. A friend of mine gave it a bash 4years ago, went on a few dates with some nice people and is now happily married two years. She met him on anotherfriend
    Best of luck :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In theory I suppose if you used boards chat you might even meet somebody here. Or indeed myspace might be ok either.

Never tried internet dating, but it would mean you'd be choosing on personality / net personality - could be interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

I met my bf on www.gaydar.ie, We've been going out for 4 or 7 months now(depending who you ask). It can be very seedee , which if your like me you want mind. He's the first person I've met other the internet I'd want to spend time with in a boyfriend way. It can be very hit and miss.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm met my fiancee at a Boards Beers :)

Before that I'd been out with few people who I had met online through OKCupid and an ancient chat room that no longer exists called "PaddyNet".

Never had any bad experiences and met a lot of really nice people, some of whom I dated for awhile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Although boards.ie is not a dating site, you can get to know people here, too. It's just another place to meet, in addition to pubs, clubs, SOCs, etc. I have met people on boards that later became friends, and I have met others that I would steer clear of (just like any other place you meet people).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

I met my b/f on http://ie.match.com/
    Might sound seedy, but I just could not click with people in that way while out drinking in pubs and stuff.
    The best thing I ever did was go on that site! Met the man of my dreams, just moved into a house together and the engagement is on the way too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I met the girl I'm currently seeing on Boards and met up as friends and just hit it off. :)
    You never know where or when you'll meet someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

met my girlfriend on maybefriends so i would definitely recommend it! but be warned there are people on those sites who are after one thing! Much like pubs and clubs. Your BS detector should sift them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jaysus!! Im shocked at how many people used web like this, Trilla is free if any ladies are interested hee hee :p. But seriously, I never even considered goin on one of those sites. Fair play

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've used one or two OP & once you use your 'BS detector' as a previous poster put it (:D) it's grand!
    A good one to try is anotherfriend.com, I met a very good friend on there and also rsvp.ie I met a couple of exes there too :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Trilla wrote:
    Jaysus!! Im shocked at how many people used web like this, Trilla is free if any ladies are interested hee hee :p. But seriously, I never even considered goin on one of those sites. Fair play

Chancer :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

comer_97 wrote:
    met my girlfriend on maybefriends so i would definitely recommend it! but be warned there are people on those sites who are after one thing! Much like pubs and clubs. Your BS detector should sift them out!

I can vouch that both these people are normal!

I know plenty of people who have used dating sites, its so accessable and unlike a pub/club you dont have to make a decision on the spot.

Go for it OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Boards runs: http://www.adverts.ie/index.php?cat=4 Strangely we've no "couples seeking couples", "couples seeking female", "male seeking couples" and similar permutations on that. Given the number of PI and S&S posts about threesomes we probably should.

collarme seems very popular with the BDSM crowd, alt.com the BDSM crowd also and a good few people with other fetishes. gaydar.ie and the personals section of gaire is very popular with the gay community (unfortunately the other adverts sections of gaire is still popular with the stupider gay men, who despite the large number of men saying "I'd like a quick shag" will text posting in the other sections asking if they'd like a quick shag). I've no idea what's popular with the straight vanillas (I do know some straight vanillas, but the straight vanillas I know don't seem to talk about dating site experiences as much).

Success seems quite proportional to how much info you give. If you just saw "SWF seeks bloke" you won't get as much interest as if you give a full profile with lots of stuff about you and some photographs.

While one of the reasons why you might want to use internet dating is that it can be less seedy than clubs or pubs if you do just want a quick no-strings thing then by all means say so and you're chances will increase again. Unfortunately it does not seem that saying you don't want a quick no-strings thing will mean you don't get such offers. For that matter a friend of mine is complaining that saying you're only interested in meeting women doesn't stop her getting responses from men.

miamee wrote:
    Chancer :eek: :D
    phone number? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'I met my current boyfriend through anotherfriend. We're going out nearly 5 months now. It is something you have to persevere at though. I met a lot of nice guys through the site, but I didn't fancy them and vice versa too.

Don't give up after the first few if it doesn't work out. I think this is where a lot of people who have tried internet dating go wrong. I persevered and I am very happy right now. You can never tell if there will be chemistry there till you meet, sometimes you can have fab chemistry with someone via e-mail and text and then there is nothing there when you meet. I always had a rule that I would never meet anyone until we had spoken on the phone. I came across the odd guy that didn't want to talk on the phone, just wanted to arrange to meet via text. Stay well clear of these wasters.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

GO to a boards beers that worked for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    GO to a boards beers that worked for me :)

Its not like you would have had any problem getting a date anyway, I've seen you!

Trilla wrote:
    phone number? ;)
    Is this why I'm always seeing Boards named as a place to meet people - by people on boards? lol :D

miamee wrote:
    Is this why I'm always seeing Boards named as a place to meet people - by people on boards? lol :D

cant blame a lad for tryin! Im still surprised that so many people get hitched off these sites! Suppose most people in todays world are less afraid of the world wide web

Trilla wrote:
    cant blame a lad for tryin! Im still surprised that so many people get hitched off these sites! Suppose most people in todays world are less afraid of the world wide web
    WellI dunno about getting hitched but its as good a place as any to meet new people...sure everyone is on the net somewhere these days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

I met two wonderful men through AF :D and have also made some good friends there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There is a couple on boards that met through boards and now have a lovely wee baby together.

miamee wrote:
    WellI dunno about getting hitched but its as good a place as any to meet new people...sure everyone is on the net somewhere these days!

Ah I dunno, would still feel a bit weird to me...especially admitting it!!
    Gordon wrote:
    There is a couple on boards that met through boards and now have a lovely wee baby together.

Well there is an example if there ever was one that it works well enough

'Met my girlfriend on AF three and a half years ago, now living together and madly in love. It's the same as any other dating scene - you have to judge every individual as an individual, I really don't know why it is regarded with suspicion.

As for it being for desperate people, well, I'm in my thirties and separated, so going to nightclubs and trying to pull in pubs really didn't appeal to me, and I'd guess doesn't apeal to a lot of women of my age and circumstances either.

With internet dating on the other hand I did get to meet a lot of people in a similar position, and by far the majority of them were really good genuine people. I went on a few dates with some interesting women, who were nice but no sparks between us before I met my current partner - and then I knew I'd finally me the person I wanted to be with forever.

There wasn't a lot of people around this scene below the age of 26 or so, but that's what I'd expect. I'd be more suprised at anyone younger than this going for internet dating, as they tend to have a more "going out" culture for clubbing/parties/drinking/food, but there's always some here also who don't meet people in those enviroments.'

'I used AF for a few months and while I didn't meet my current gf there, I did have good fun. Like other posters said you need to be patient and have the bs detector on high alert. Also try not to get too involved in the site, there's a fair amount of backstabbing that goes on amongst the regulars there.

There seems to be events held pretty regularly and they are usually good to go to cos of the big crowd.'

If you think about it , meeting somebody over the internet makes more sense then meeting somebody in a Pub . It is frouned upon though but if you were to argue with any of those people you would win. In saying that i met my girlfriend in a pub, we were total strangers and we are now living together. It was the last thing i expected. My friend however is getting married , he met his girlfriend on the internet through a website. The pub scene was not his kind of thing and he couldnt meet anybody that way.
    i would say go for it at least if the relationship was to work you would have a solid foundation because of it.

'I think the whole internet thing is frowned upon because people think, "oh you could meet a total freak/murderer on it" But in fairness you have the exact same chance meeting a weirdo in a pub.

I dont know how internet dating sites work, but I imagine you email a few times before, so at least you kinda know the person before hand.

My current boyfriend I met throught the internet on a message board. It wasnt intentional, but I guess its inevitable if people are posting on the same message board, you're going to have similar interests and probably hit it off. Ive a few friends from the same board, and same, we just have similar interests.

Id say its going to happen more and more'

Advertisement