Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London

Options
  • 20-12-2006 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

....for 5 months, from March to August. I'm totally hopeless as regards where would be good to look for accommodation. I would be working in the Queen Anne's Gate area so that will be a consideration. I presume the Tube is reliable though.

Any suggestions or good websites?? And if you want to throw in any other tips about London that'd be great!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get yourself a tube map here for starters. Its pretty good the majority of the time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I suggest you find a place within walking or bus distance to your work, as the tube at rush hour is

MINGING!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

www.thegumtree.com

you'll get used to the underground and packed buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

daiixi wrote:
    you'll get used to the underground and packed buses.

He's only going to be here for 5 months, that's too soon to start to really loathe it. I don't mind the tube in the mornings as I start work at 9.30am and it's only a 15 minute tube ride so I miss the crowds. It's a nightmare when I finish though, 5.30pm at Oxford Circus is one of the most hateful places on the planet. Especially in the summer heatwaves, 46degrees celcius and stuck with your head in somebody's armpit.

OP where are you gonig to be working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Meh, you either love it or loathe it I think. Five months in summer is more than enough time to really loathe it if you loathe it. I don't mind it but avoid the underground when possible I miss the sun! Nothing freakier than Oxford Circus at 9am on a Sunday morning - coming out of the underground and the place is empty. Really eerie.

Also www.multimap.com is great for looking up addresses. Just set it to Great Britain and chuck in the postcode of where you're going. The first half of the postcode is a suburb or area and the second part corresponds to a street(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Awh, you are so lucky. I have a year of college to go before I can move to London. I fell in love with the place. Seriously just considering dropping out and running away there with my bloke!

As far as accomodation, London is very accessible with tubes etc so you'll never be more than 30 min away even if you're out as far as zone 3, just outside central London (which is only about 3 miles across, so could be walked in good weather.)

Whats the prob with the underground?? I thought it was efficient and handy and I loved it (as long as you have a good map). Better than anything this joke of a country could produce (port tunnel anyone??)

Hmm... tips. There are no public bins for fear of bombs. And always stand on the right on escalators. Be prepared for bag checks in tourist attractions. It's a bit nanny statish too, lots of signs from Mayor posted around like "don't get in an unlicensed can" and "keep your music low on the tube" Also, be polite cos majority I met were very mannerly.

Only thing that annoyed me was the railings along the path to stop J walking. HEY! I will walk out infront of cars when not a a green man sign if I want ok!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Lil Kitten wrote:
    It's a bit nanny statish too, lots of signs from Mayor posted around like "don't get in an unlicensed can"

I assume cab?;) There are very good reasons for this campaign, there are 11 sexual assaults a month on women by illegal cab drivers. (And that is the amount reported). This number is down from an average of 28 a month a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Thanks for all the responses. Rents in london seem to be extortionate from what I'm seeing on the flatshare sites.

I didn't know what 'couchsurfing' was until know either.

Advertisement