Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low temp reports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1.4c here now. Maxed today at 6.3c.
    Last night was 0c and the same the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Almost afraid to post..-1.1C here.

Clear and frosty, not making it up I promise!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

8am : -0.5c

80% clear, lots of hoar frost

Third consecutive night frost...

I'm sure my nightly mins have been much lower - will have the equipment soon to measure this.....

A

Huge hoar frost here too-very white and very icy.
    Overnight min was -0.8c

Currently plus 0.8c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Tristrame wrote:
    Even mothman is at +4.7c which tallies with my south bound trek earlier and the sharp drop south of jack whites.

Except that was my late afternoon temp, as phone was out of order till this morning. Check the time....
    Temp fell sub zero soon after sunset and then varied between 0 & 4C till 2am, and then fell to min of -1.8C, with grass min a chilly -8.1C, just 0.1C behind Dec record.

• Advertisement

-2c at Calary (on RW to Kilmac road) this morning at 8:20am.

Top reservior 60% ice covered. Was about 10% on Wednesday morn.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cold. Car said +2 at 1.30 pm in the shade.

Mike.

17:04 : +1.8c and falling. Will be another cold one tonight.

Hoar frost hasn't melted here all day.

Anyone know of any records for consecutive frosts in Dec??

A

Frost and ice hung around all day here too in the shade despite a high of 8.2c

Now 2.7c

0.0 here already, heavy frost everywhere , could make snowballs from the hoarfrost in shaded areas here.

Fascinating drive home, was 7C on the car thermometer on the Kilmacanoge turnoff for Roundwood with some stratus overhead.

Once at the top of the hill could see what was making the stratus, was totally clear to the west of the hills north of Devils glen, but the Devils Glen hills are raising the air enough to make stratus thus keeping temps higher on the other side.

At places between Roundwood and Annamoe the temperature on the car thermometer already was going to -0.5 which is a pretty massive difference to conditions on the N11.

I reckon this could be my coldest night so far here:)

Last night minimum was -1.9C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    Except that was my late afternoon temp, as phone was out of order till this morning. Check the time....
    Temp fell sub zero soon after sunset and then varied between 0 & 4C till 2am, and then fell to min of -1.8C, with grass min a chilly -8.1C, just 0.1C behind Dec record.
    Oh

:D

Longfield wrote:
    0.0 here already, heavy frost everywhere , could make snowballs from the hoarfrost in shaded areas here.

Fascinating drive home, was 7C on the car thermometer on the Kilmacanoge turnoff for Roundwood with some stratus overhead.

Once at the top of the hill could see what was making the stratus, was totally clear to the west of the hills north of Devils glen, but the Devils Glen hills are raising the air enough to make stratus thus keeping temps higher on the other side.

At places between Roundwood and Annamoe the temperature on the car thermometer already was going to -0.5 which is a pretty massive difference to conditions on the N11.

I reckon this could be my coldest night so far here:)

Last night minimum was -1.9C

I was looking at that stratus to my north for much of afternoon. Sunny all day here, temp dropped like a stone, now sub zero just after 1730, similar time to previous days.

My min last night, -1.8C, you'll probably just beat me again tonight, though I do think it'll be colder.

If conditions remain like this would reckon -3C is on the cards here maybe even a little lower.
    Now showing -0.9C, getting cold fast tonight :)

1c here now

Mothman,

Was just looking at your site , specifically at - http://www.iol.ie/~wicklowweather/Photos/inside%20screen.jpg

Has the wetbulb jar ever frozen over?, I imagine on nights like tonight the top of the water in the jar at least freezes ? How do you measure dew point in such conditions?

Sorry for going totally OT Snowbie!

Back on topic - temp here currently -1.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Amazing how cold these nights have been under what if there had been cloud cover would have been a pleasently mild few days. 850 hpa temps are as high as +6 at the moment. It shows the importance of the height of the sun during winter.. in a few months these conditions will lead to pleasent days with highs to 16/17c..

The story could of been oh so different, we are lucky were seeing any cold weather at the moment because the current synoptic is very poor with regards the prospect of an outbreak of cold upper air temperatures across Ireland.

No snow for the next 3 weeks anyway.

Amazing how cold these nights have been under what if there had been cloud cover would have been a pleasently mild few days. 850 hpa temps are as high as +6 at the moment. It shows the importance of the height of the sun during winter.. in a few months these conditions will lead to pleasent days with highs to 16/17c..

The story could of been oh so different, we are lucky were seeing any cold weather at the moment because the current synoptic is very poor with regards the prospect of an outbreak of cold upper air temperatures across Ireland.

No snow for the next 3 weeks anyway.

You got that right m8.

While this cold clear frosty weather is nicer than the stormy Atlantic mild stuff we've had this winter so far....
    I'm a little miffed that i've moved up the mountains and there hasn't been ANY BORDERLINE SNOW EVENTS AT ALL this winter!!
    How many times in the past have I looked wistfully at the mountains in white and wished I lived there...well now I fecking am and its still not snowing!!

Its early days yet so will just have to be calm and wait.

Oh , its -1.7C here now.

Got down to -2.0C , now back up to -1.4C.
    Once the temperature starts bouncing like this usually means close to the floor has been reached.

-2.5C is my best estimate for min value for tonight now (which is still the lowest since moving here so can't complain :) )

Currently -0.5c here.

When did you move here Longfield?

Snow is really hit and miss around here. Some years we have a few periods of snow, others we have none. There is nearly always at least one snow event.

A

This is my first winter - moved here a couple of months ago, tbh i do realise that snow before January is pretty rare anywhere in Ireland, but had hoped for a few wintry type showers.
    That said places in Norway and Sweden are having "brown" Christmases for the first time ever so cannot really complain.

Most winters in Ireland have late cold spells in March/April as the snow cover the continent reaches its maximum, I reckon even in the most crappy winters we should see something in march April even if it is short lived.

All I want is a "my snow is bigger than yours nah na na nah na!!" (with pics to rub it in!!) episode this winter ;):)

• Advertisement

Was down to -1C, grass -7C

Now +2C, Grass -5C

Longfield wrote:
    Mothman,
    Has the wetbulb jar ever frozen over?, I imagine on nights like tonight the top of the water in the jar at least freezes ? How do you measure dew point in such conditions?
    Screen is only read once a day at 09z, so unless I get successive ice days then the wet bulb drying is probably not an issue. I do have a table to read off when the wet bulb is frozen and a different table for when wet bulb is not frozen. The little reservoir is often frozen in morning, but I've not had to refer to manual (probably at bottom of drawer) on this matter yet

-1.7C here and not moving much despite it being clear overhead.
    maybe its just spilling out to warmer areas lower down, don't know why its not still dropping.

Thanks Mothman for the dew point thermomenter explanation.
    Did the Met office provide the screen etc?, you have all the pro kit there looking at the website it would appear.
    If not, i'd like to know where you bought it from :)

Still above zero at 0.6C but heading downwards.
    Grass staying low, -6C
    Longfield wrote:
    Did the Met office provide the screen etc?,

Yes, in return for the data after each month ends.

Means taking readings at 09z, which is 10am in summer time. it's quite a commitment really, but there are still a few mad souls around :D

That is quite a commitment Mothman, fair play.

-2.2C here, a record (prev -2.1C) for my stay here so far.

Looking forward to seeing the frost in daylight here for a change.

Weathercheck/Snowbie what are the Dublin temps lads?, curious whats happening in the big smoke ?

Air frost here for the last 3/4 of an hour according to the Davis but rising.
    Almost -1c at 11pm but just -0.1c now

I'm only just back from Dublin.

The coolgreaney road is white with just tyre tracks and quite slippy :eek:

Nearest thing we'll get to lying snow for a while methinks :/

Longfield wrote:
    Weathercheck/Snowbie what are the Dublin temps lads?, curious whats happening in the big smoke ?
    Well there was no frost in Blackrock and +3c but curiously less than 2ks down the road but a tad further inland at Deansgrange the car outside temp was 1c and there was a good frost.

There was also a hard frost at the louglinstown roundabout which was frost free last night.

The temp varied from 1 to 3 c for most of the way down but dipped to 0c heading into Arklow town and -1c as I head out here towards coolgreaney.

back to air frost,
    Grass -7C
    I'm only just back from Dublin.

Leaving the shopping late...;)

latest Kilkenny and Mullingar met report is -3c.
    Dub airport is +1c casement is 0c

From the NRA site Baltinglass in co wicklow is -3.8c at 23:07 and is the coldest one on that.

The Arklow bypass NRA site is -2.1c and thats less than a mile from me but its in a frost pocket.
    I often notice as I head down to that dip the temp at night only will drop a degree in these conditions.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:

Leaving the shopping late...;)
    heh I wish :(
    Daily visit to hospital to visit someone very very sick-been going up and down for over a month now :(

Advertisement