Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eaac+ Format for Sony Ericsson

• 20-12-2006 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hey,
    recently bought a SE w850i, so far love it. was told in shop that could hold upto 1000 songs on 1gb memory stick, but have to be in eaac+ format i think, not sure what that is. put some of my itunes on the phone in m4a format but they taking up too much space to fit 1000 on the 1gb memory stick.
    anyone know where i can find a way to convert my itunes to a format whereby the average size for a track would be 1mb?

thanks & happy xmass!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've wondered for a while, can iTunes play eAAC+ files? I know it plays AAC files perfectly. I'd also like to know more about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Say here that all software for the eaac should come in the box:
    http://www.marketovert.co.uk/showproduct.php/product/118

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i think the program m3 does it
    you'll find it somewhere here

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=815408&page=87&pp=15

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hugh2006 wrote:

anyone know where i can find a way to convert my itunes to a format whereby the average size for a track would be 1mb?

You can lower the quality of the recording and reduce the size of the file.

Genearly for a decent quality song lasting 3 mins your talking 3mb so who ever said you would get a 1000 songs on a 1gb card was telling porkie pies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

You could always get a bigger card and lower the quality of the tracks. Try lowering the bitrate to 64Kb & 128Kb, see what size file it gives you and what does it sound like in the headphones etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jaqian wrote:
    You could always get a bigger card and lower the quality of the tracks. Try lowering the bitrate to 64Kb & 128Kb, see what size file it gives you and what does it sound like in the headphones etc.

Thats what I would do but in fairness who ever told him he could fit 1000 songs on a 1gb card was talking shit. If you want decent quality music its not gona happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that's the problem, you can fit 1,000 songs easily on a 1gb card but....maybe if the bitrate is 64kb and the sound is in mono rather then stereo.

I'd say you'd be lucky to fit a few hundred....at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

guys guys dont say that you cant fit 1000 on a 1gb stick if ye dont know what yere talking about... welcome to the world of AAC (advanced audio coding) wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding an aac file at 40kbps is the same quality as >128kbps with a quarter of the file size (personally i go with 48kbps at around a meg and a half coz its almost cd quality) ive converted all my music to m4a (same as aac, except some devices cant read it) about 2000 songs which was originally 8.8gigs on mp3 but now its 2.5

i converted everything with http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

good luck have fun!

Sven

Steoob wrote:
    guys guys dont say that you cant fit 1000 on a 1gb stick if ye dont know what yere talking about... welcome to the world of AAC (advanced audio coding) wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding an aac file at 40kbps is the same quality as >128kbps with a quarter of the file size (personally i go with 48kbps at around a meg and a half coz its almost cd quality) ive converted all my music to m4a (same as aac, except some devices cant read it) about 2000 songs which was originally 8.8gigs on mp3 but now its 2.5

i converted everything with http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

good luck have fun!

Sven

.acc is what iTunes converts it to isnt it?

How is it the same quality if it has 1/4 of the data? I assume its taking out tones that the human ear cant hear but I would've thought that was done any ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kearnsr wrote:
    .acc is what iTunes converts it to isnt it?

How is it the same quality if it has 1/4 of the data? I assume its taking out tones that the human ear cant hear but I would've thought that was done any ways
    its a different compression algorithm. its the same quality. its fairly complicated. i'm learning about image and video compression in college and the discrete cosine transform is involved. would you like me to explain it to you? :p

• Advertisement

its a different compression algorithm. its the same quality. its fairly complicated. i'm learning about image and video compression in college and the discrete cosine transform is involved. would you like me to explain it to you? :p

Go on I'm bored in work. Nothing else to do before we break up for Christmas!

So its the same format but different algorithm.

I thought the difference betweeen mp3 and acc was the algorithm and was trying to figuer out why acc has two different algorithms

i think itunes converts to m4a and its at a pointless 128kbps so that defeats the purpose... i have all the info on aac in the wiki link i gave above^^^

GETTIN MY W850 TOMORROW WOOT! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Steoob wrote:
    i think itunes converts to m4a and its at a pointless 128kbps so that defeats the purpose... i have all the info on aac in the wiki link i gave above^^^

GETTIN MY W850 TOMORROW WOOT! :)

Good news, you can change the iTunes encoding settings by going into Preferences > Importing > select "Custom...". I've set mine to 96kbps AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) with Variable Bit Rate.

itunes doesn't let me convert my music for some reason... something to do with copy protection.. i dunno dBpoweramp's the way to go imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kearnsr wrote:
    Go on I'm bored in work. Nothing else to do before we break up for Christmas!

So its the same format but different algorithm.

I thought the difference betweeen mp3 and acc was the algorithm and was trying to figuer out why acc has two different algorithms
    here's the basics of it. enjoy :)

http://www.dspguide.com/ch27/6.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

When I lived in Japan, all my full track downloads were in AAC+ format. It worked out at about 1.7MB for 3 1/2 minutes of a song or thereabouts. It sounded better than the downloads I get now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

as long as youre converting from a lossless source, cd or something at least with a high bit rate it should sound okay, converting from mp3 will give you something of lesser quality

eolhc wrote:
    as long as youre converting from a lossless source, cd or something at least with a high bit rate it should sound okay, converting from mp3 will give you something of lesser quality
    sounded fine for me and i converted all my mp3s

Advertisement