Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you knowingly buy from israel?

Options
  • 20-12-2006 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I was picking up a few pieces in Liffey valley SC on friday last when a woman from one of the kiosks called me over,i would normally avoid all unsolicited sales pitches but she caught my eye and i was the olny person within a 2mtr radius so she hooked me.
    Anyway she did her sales thing and asked me to pull up my sleeves and try this hand cleaner,i did as i was asked.Then she dried my hands and gave me some moisturiser which i also used;just then some woman came up and distracted my harassor about these products so i was left standing there and wondering what to do and thinking that maybe i should buy something:confused: so i started looking for the cheapest thing on the shelf and then and only then i noticed that all the products were made in Israel:eek: so then she came back to me and i told her that i was going to buy something from her until i noticed that they were made in Israel and that i would not knowingly buy anything from Israel .Thats when her sweet little old innocent me attitude changed and she started telling me that i know nothing about what happens out there and that i should try living in Israel before i make any decisions,i said it would be more of a challange to live in palistine then she again told me i knew nothing about it.
    As i was walking away she said to me that "you now have soft hands because of Israel" i replyed "i have soft hands because of the dead sea"

That is 80% of the conversation we had,i left out nothing significant

I want to know what you think of this encounter.
    I belive that israel is a terrorist state.
    I will not knowingly buy anything from Israel
    What do you think of her attitude.
    Would you knowingly buy from Israel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,366 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I doubt if Israel cares much for your gesture so to that extent it is meaningless.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Did she have a foreign/Israeli accent? That would explain some of it. Because except for some kind of strong personal political feelings or connections to Israel, I don't know what she expected to accomplish with that "you don't know what it's like" speech. At least you CAN boycott Israeli products, in the U.S. there are anti-boycott laws that make it a crime to participate in foreign-led un-government-authorised boycotts, and these cover boycotts of Israeli products because that is lead by the Arab Leauge.

As for me, I hold both Israel and its enemies equally responsible for the carnage, I would never knowingly buy anything from Israel but would never knowingly buy anything from Syria or Iran or anything linked to Hamas either. I also believe that Western society should make the end of dependence on Saudi oil priority number 1, because SA is one of the most barbarian states on Earth. My refusal to knowingly buy certain Middle Eastern goods will continue until they all just sit the f*ck down and get this crap sorted out for the benefit of themselves and all mankind, but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I avoid anything labelled Israel. I noticed during Israel's attack on Lebanon how Marks and Sparks gave certain vegetables a generic label like "Middle East" or something like that.
    I can't believe they even try to sell that **** here.
    I remember living in SA and some people tried that "you weren't there" argument on me.

SeanW wrote:
    At least you CAN boycott Israeli products, in the U.S. there are anti-boycott laws that make it a crime to participate in foreign-led un-government-authorised boycotts, and these cover boycotts of Israeli products because that is lead by the Arab Leauge.

I'm not aware of this law. I know there are boycotts going on all over the US against Israel, particularly last summer when they were attacking Lebanon.
    As for me, I hold both Israel and its enemies equally responsible for the carnage, I would never knowingly buy anything from Israel but would never knowingly buy anything from Syria or Iran or anything linked to Hamas either. That will continue until they all just sit the f*ck down and get this crap sorted out for the benefit of themselves and all mankind, but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime if ever.

Would you buy anything from the US then?
    I'm not aware of Hamas' export market. :)

silverharp wrote:
    I doubt if Israel cares much for your gesture so to that extent it is meaningless.

I guess that's why the woman got so defensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Whatever about the politics of the region and who is right or wrong none of the people in any of those places Syria, Palestine, Israel, Iran have a safe, happy life. If you talk to any of them they are full of hate for each other. Hate is a very poor way to live your life and I feel sorry for them all. The old Arab saying 'With my cousin against the foreigner, with my brother against my cousin' is their way of life. I once worked with a Damascan and he said no one in the middle east will be happy until the Israelis are driven into the sea. He was a moderate and fully Westernised. On the other side I saw an TV article about kids in the Israeli bunkers when the missiles were raining down from Hamas during the war. They expressed the view that they would like to see all Syrians dead. They were about 7 or 8. Intractable with a capital I. I think if you make an effort to avoid Israeli goods you should also try and avoid Syrian, Iranian, Palestinian et al as well. Lets not discriminate against the biggest pack of failed countries the world has ever seen.

Yes.

And if I could be assured that some of the monies would go towards defending innocent Israeli civilians from terrorists, I would buy ten of whatever was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I wouldn't be too bothered to be honest. Its not as if you were buying weapons or human trafficing people.
    It was hand cleaner. Not the end of the world.

If some product was made in North Korea that i liked and if it was available here, I would buy it.

Not a huge issue in my opinion.

I know at some stage along the line the government of whatever country is getting it's money through taxes and whatever else, and can still buy weapons.
    I'm after a product, so I will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

In general I'd avoid boycotts of products from a country just because I don't agree with the decisions of its government. For example, I'm not a fan of US government policies but I know that opinion over there is very divided so it's not fair to tar all US *people* with the same brush and boycott their produce.

However, I do personally boycott Israeli products. The bombing of Lebanon had something like a 90% approval rating amongst Israeli people, with most of them saying they weren't bombing enough, and that was something I completely disagreed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Boycott Israeli products and you should boycott the products of the nations which support it. That leaves you with bread and bottled water - who knows where that fluoride comes from - and you couldn't even drink Guinness, being owned by a foreign company which pays some of its profits in tax to the supporters of Israel. I'm not making a political point one way or another (the Israel - Palestine debate can be done to death, literally); just saying that if you want to boycott Israeli products then it doesn't make sense, given Israel's special position in the world, not to boycott the products of its bankrollers.

Does the moral indignation in the room stretch to giving up most booze, fast food and sweets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,366 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Judt wrote:
    Does the moral indignation in the room stretch to giving up most booze, fast food and sweets?

Add oil and oil derived products as a % ends up in the hands of terrorists in the middle east and elsewhere

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yes.

And if I could be assured that some of the monies would go towards defending innocent Israeli civilians from terrorists, I would buy ten of whatever was going.

In reality its more than likely going to someone who is using Palestinian virtual slave labour to make it...so...

Rabies wrote:
    I wouldn't be too bothered to be honest. Its not as if you were buying weapons or human trafficing people.

If some product was made in North Korea that i liked and if it was available here, I would buy it.

I know at some stage along the line the government of whatever country is getting it's money through taxes and whatever else, and can still buy weapons.

North Korea hasn't attack and occupied anyone as of late.

Judt wrote:
    Boycott Israeli products and you should boycott the products of the nations which support it. That leaves you with bread and bottled water - who knows where that fluoride comes from - and you couldn't even drink Guinness, being owned by a foreign company which pays some of its profits in tax to the supporters of Israel. I'm not making a political point one way or another (the Israel - Palestine debate can be done to death, literally); just saying that if you want to boycott Israeli products then it doesn't make sense, given Israel's special position in the world, not to boycott the products of its bankrollers.

You make a valid point, however, there are other political pressure methods besides boycotts that are more practical in cases where that type of political/economic pressure isnt' feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Yes.

I am pretty sure that there are plenty of organizations which support the above cause, which you could donate money too, if indeed you really do feel that strong about it.

I am pretty sure that there are plenty of organizations which support the above cause, which you could donate money too, if indeed you really do feel that strong about it.

Bt Selem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Rabies wrote:

i`m with you on this one,whats the big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

SeanW wrote:
    As for me, I hold both Israel and its enemies equally responsible for the carnage, I would never knowingly buy anything from Israel but would never knowingly buy anything from Syria or Iran or anything linked to Hamas either. I also believe that Western society should make the end of dependence on Saudi oil priority number 1, because SA is one of the most barbarian states on Earth. My refusal to knowingly buy certain Middle Eastern goods will continue until they all just sit the f*ck down and get this crap sorted out for the benefit of themselves and all mankind, but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime if ever.

So you don't buy heating oil or electricity from the ESB that was made by burning Middle East oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kmick wrote:
    Lets not discriminate against the biggest pack of failed countries the world has ever seen.

You can't call them failed countries without considering their origins and the role colonialism played in their failure. They were ****ed before they ever became independant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah, dont see why not - Id buy Palestinian goods as well so alls fair. As someones mentioned already if you refuse to purchase goods from countries based on political policies you disagree with....well thats a very short shopping list.

Id support boycotts against inhuman regimes, like say North Korea, but the Israelis and Palestinians seem well able to match each other in general mayhem so it would be unfair to discriminate.

As for the womans attitude - Sounds like she was Israeli herself they way youre portraying the conversation. Or maybe she was just annoyed at getting a "holier than thou" lecture of someone in a shopping center packed with goods mass produced in places like China?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

could have been either, like I asked the OP, I'm slightly curious as to the saleswomans approach to this, did she have an accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yeah, I'd buy products from Israel, or any other country.

I'm not becoming part of an army against any nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Sand wrote:
    Yeah, dont see why not - Id buy Palestinian goods as well so alls fair.

good luck in finding any goods that Isreal have actually let them export in your supermarket ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

It's amazing how waferthin and unfounded some people's opinions are.
    For one it wouldn't make a lick of difference in the grand scheme of things if you stopped buying products from Israel. It's just another one of the ways that limp wristed bleeding heart lefties try to soothe their own conscience..
    What's more; Israel is one of the only countries left on this planet that actually has a set of idals and principles and that stands by them instead of pandering to the public opinion. That alone gets my vote...

E.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Israel's tech industry is probably second in the world only to that of Silicon Valley, California. Boycotting anything with Israeli connections is likely to be rather detremental to your convenience of living.

As for the American boycott laws, there are no rules against private boycotts of countries (Not least, they'd be almost unenforcable), but lower government agencies such as states, counties or cities are not permitted to engage in international boycotts without the approval of the Feds: An international boycott is an extension of international relations and politics, which per the US Constitution is a role solely reserved to the Federal Government in Washington D.C.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Good point, Manic. Note, if you will, some of the codenames of Intel's recent processors, the company having major research and development facilities in Israel - if you buy a notebook with Core 2 (AKA Merom, named after the lake of the same name in Israel) processors you're breaking your vow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

sovtek wrote:
    North Korea hasn't attack and occupied anyone as of late.
    I was using N.Korea as an example. First place that came to mind, I'm watching a good bit of Fox News lately (don't shoot me :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

mayhem# wrote:
    Israel is one of the only countries left on this planet that actually has a set of idals and principles and that stands by them instead of pandering to the public opinion.

E.

Well I think Stalin also had a set of ideals and didn't pander to public opinion, but then he would lose points on being one of them limp wristed lefties I guess ;)

I think you should say that Isreal sticks to Ideals that you agree with.

I am dont go out of my way to boycott products - I guess I enjoy my comforts too much, and the list of countries that you could consider for a boycott would be huge.... do I boycott japanese products now that they want to hunt more whales?

I guess I should take the advice I gave earlier and donate money to a organisation that supports a cause that I believe in, the supermarket is a minefield ;)

I want to know what you think of this encounter.

Fair play to her actually. She's selling a product, and a customer starts spouting political rubbish at her. I'd probably do the same if Ireland was in a similiar situation. She was there to sell. Instead you lorded your beliefs. Why not just say no, and move on?
    I belive that israel is a terrorist state.

Fair enough. I certainly don't.
    I will not knowingly buy anything from Israel
    What do you think of her attitude.
    Would you knowingly buy from Israel?

But it wont affect what I buy. I don't believe my buying power is all that significiant.

Were u against the US invasion & occupation of Iraq? If so, have you boycotted US & UK goods aswell, or is it just Israel that gets your attention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Fair play to her actually. She's selling a product, and a customer starts spouting political rubbish at her. I'd probably do the same if Ireland was in a similiar situation. She was there to sell. Instead you lorded your beliefs. Why not just say no, and move on?
    Well, she could have said she was not interested in politics and that would be that.
    But it wont affect what I buy. I don't believe my buying power is all that significiant.
    Just out of curiosity, do you have the same perception of your voting power?

I personally try to avoid products that are known to be linked to:
    • Child labour
    • Indonesia
    • Israel
    • US

It is a bit like the story of the elephant running from a forest on fire when he sees a bird flying to the river, filling his beak with water and he ask if the bird is mad since there is no way he can put the fire off by himself. The bird replies "well, I am doing my bit!"...

Advertisement