Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsum Moisture resistant slabs.

Options
  • 20-12-2006 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Will hopefully start to slab out my self build over the Christmas holidays. I have a question regarding the main bathroom and 2 en-suites upstairs. Should I go with the Moisture resistant Gypsum boards or marine ply, the reason I ask is that the brother in law recently had the tiler in and he insisted on marine ply , particularly around the shower area itself. He stated that the slabs would enentually take in moisture.

Is the tiler being picky or has a valid point ?
    Regards
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I used 6mm wbp over the plasterboard in my bathroom, just because the reason Im redoing the bathroom is that water got in and destroyed the walls (regular plasterboard)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sparkey999999

Green slabs ( Moisture proof ) in main bathroom area but WBP around shower tray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spud2

Thanks for the replies.
    Sparky that is the way I was thinking . Marine PLY would be over kill and use WBP around the shower tray area.
    regards
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Excuse my ignorance but what is wbp? Also, is it just put over the plasterboard at the shower tray? If so surely this will mean the wall will then be uneven for tiling???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

dixiefly wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is wbp? Also, is it just put over the plasterboard at the shower tray? If so surely this will mean the wall will then be uneven for tiling???
    it's weather and boil proof plywood. and you'd probly just double slab the rest of the walls (with plaster board) to make things easier for plastering.

spud2: if he's taking about using marine ply for entire bathroom then it would be a bit of an overkill. but wbp is only water proof to a point and could over time allow water in. using marine ply doesn't make your tiler's job any easier, he's just looking out for you and doesn't want your walls and his work to be ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dixiefly wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is wbp?
    WAter and boil-proof plywood.

For the sake of the difference in the price between the two, go for the marine plywood.

Thanks guys,
    I am getting setup to slab an upstairs bathroom in the New Year. Should I put normal Moisture Resistant board down with Marine Ply at the Shower Tray with double slab throughout the rest of the bathroom? Should both slabs of the double slab be Moisture resistant board?
    Also, I have heard that you should not plaster Moisture Resistant board. Is that correct?

dixiefly wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    I am getting setup to slab an upstairs bathroom in the New Year. Should I put normal Moisture Resistant board down with Marine Ply at the Shower Tray with double slab throughout the rest of the bathroom? Should both slabs of the double slab be Moisture resistant board?
    Also, I have heard that you should not plaster Moisture Resistant board. Is that correct?

Has anyone got an opinion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

moisture resistant slabs should not be skimmed

Advertisement