Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley Oil stove ignition

Options
  • 20-12-2006 8:33am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI,

Have just installed a Waterford Stanley Tara (non-boiler) oil stove.

Oil comes from tank, thru filter, thru fire-stop valve & small gate valve and into boiler.

My problem is that, I turn it to setting 2, then hold the ignition switch, oil starts to burn but starts to go out of control (small reset button at back is pressed down -is this correct ??)
    It's as if the oil is entering the chamber too-quickly. It rages with fire and noise and I have to turn off the oil supply all together to kill it.

Questions:
    Fire stop valve - should I have this open fully ie anti-clockwise open ?
    The Stanley oil regulator - what is the small reset button for and small lever at the side for ??
    Whats the proper iginition sequence?

Hopefully someone has this model or similar and can help,

Thx folks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    HI,

Have just installed a Waterford Stanley Tara (non-boiler) oil stove.

Oil comes from tank, thru filter, thru fire-stop valve & small gate valve and into boiler.

My problem is that, I turn it to setting 2, then hold the ignition switch, oil starts to burn but starts to go out of control (small reset button at back is pressed down -is this correct ??)
    It's as if the oil is entering the chamber too-quickly. It rages with fire and noise and I have to turn off the oil supply all together to kill it.

Questions:
    Fire stop valve - should I have this open fully ie anti-clockwise open ?
    The Stanley oil regulator - what is the small reset button for and small lever at the side for ??
    Whats the proper iginition sequence?

Hopefully someone has this model or similar and can help,

Thx folks

K
    Karl, I don't know this model at all, but if the regulator is similar to the old (real old) type, then the lever at the side is a safety shut off. If the oil level in the pot gets too high, this lever trips and you have to press it down to reset it. I presume that when you set it up, you had to position the regulator at a certain height in relation to the pot in the cooker. You have have a safety devise in case the flame goes out, otherwise the oil would just keep flowing out into the kitchen. If you turn on the oil too soon before you press the ignition, the pot will flood. You may have to try to mop some of the oil out before trying again. The fire valve should be fully open.
    Just remember, my recollection is of a very old system that my father had in the kitchen.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Just to clarify - this is a standalone small stove.

It's not a cooker typ at all, just a small stove to heat a room.

JamesM - what you say seems to fit but how this is happening is my problem.
    I have even opened the door when igniting and the fuel pot at the bottom is very low (as it all burns off from the previous ignition).
    It lights but then seems to fill too much :confused:

Thx

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    Just to clarify - this is a standalone small stove.

It's not a cooker typ at all, just a small stove to heat a room.

JamesM - what you say seems to fit but how this is happening is my problem.
    I have even opened the door when igniting and the fuel pot at the bottom is very low (as it all burns off from the previous ignition).
    It lights but then seems to fill too much :confused:

Thx

K
    Not sure what's happening. The numbers 1 to 6 (or whatever) should regulate the flow of oil. 1 or 2 should not let a huge amount in. Are you sure that there is no oil still in the bottom of the pot ? This might only ignite when it warms up after a few minutes and give that big burning effect. Afraid that I can't help any more:( .
    Jim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I just rang Waterford Stanley and they are sending out an Eng to commission the stove - I thought they would be factory set.

Free of charge also :D

Maybe after Xmas but so be it.

I do not wanting it blow up on me.

Thx

K

Advertisement