Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lights.

Options
  • 20-12-2006 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

TUE 19 DEC

TODAY'S FORECAST 20.30

Dense fog persisting in most places
    through the night with just a few clear
    periods, mainly in the south. Icy
    patches likely on untreated roads.

LOWEST TEMPERATURES: -2 to +2 Celsius

Fog will linger through the daylight
    hours tomorrow in many places, but will
    tend to clear in the west of the
    country towards evening. Cold and damp.

HIGHEST TEMPERATURES: 4 to 7 Celsius.

Switch ON your fog lights !!!

I've waited a long time to say that:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Its quite shocking the amount of people who don't even know what fog lights are and that they have them. Did anyone else hear the woman on Spin1038 yesterday morning who had to ring the radio station to ask where her fog light switch was! :eek:
    Speaking to a lad in work yesterday and he didn't have a clue what a fog light was.....I'd expect that of a woman but not of a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fletch wrote:
    Its quite shocking the amount of people who don't even know what fog lights are and that they have them. Did anyone else hear the woman on Spin1038 yesterday morning who had to ring the radio station to ask where her fog light switch was! :eek:
    Speaking to a lad in work yesterday and he didn't have a clue what a fog light was.....I'd expect that of a woman but not of a man!
    The ignorance may stem from the fact that the fitting of fog lights (front or rear) is not a statutory legal requirement in Ireland. Presumably therefore, their use does not form part of the practical driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

None on my car. The fog was pretty thick last night at about 1am, you could still see cars no problem without fog lights though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The amount of idiots with fog lights on in bumper to bumper traffic was unbelievable, a clown ahead of me didnt turn his off despite me flashing him about 50 times and driving behind him with my full lights on for 2 miles, hopefully his eyes were as fooked as mine. The whole idea of fog lights is so that where you cannot see the normal rear lights of a car because of the fog the brighter rear fog light will allow other cars to see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    ... a clown ahead of me didnt turn his off despite me flashing him about 50 times and driving behind him with my full lights on for 2 miles, hopefully his eyes were as fooked as mine...

yes that's a very mature and safe driving approach. we all see things we don't particularly agree with on the roads. Flashing lights to someone who doesn't know what they're doing is wrong, solves nothing. That and blinding someone with headlights is wreckless and is the type of behaviour that should be condemned by all.

m_stan wrote:
    yes that's a very mature and safe driving approach. we all see things we don't particularly agree with on the roads. Flashing lights to someone who doesn't know what they're doing it wrong, solves nothing. That and blinding someone with headlights is wreckless and is the type of behaviour that should be condemned by all.

Yes right whatever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Whatever about foglights dear lord use some lights! Just back from the petrol station for the morning calorie bomb and the amount of tools driving with no lights in the thick fog we have here is unreal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    The amount of idiots with fog lights on in bumper to bumper traffic was unbelievable.

Bugs me too, I generally just rear-end any one who has their fog lights on while bumper to bumper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is it possible to have sticky for foglights were people can go to rant and moan about them.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that is fed up of the fog light moaning that oges on here each week.
    One thread, and throw it all in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am amazed with the amount of cars with blow lights.

I can understand somebody going a day or 2 without knowing one of their back lights blow but front lights is unexcusable.

I even seen a car with its park lights on last night :eek:

Could all the Gardaí standing around doing operation free flow not do all these cars.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Yes right whatever :rolleyes:

child. get with it. what you are doing is wreckless. no discussion.

I am amazed by the amount of moaning and groaning that goes on here, and at the same time the amount of bragging done about dangerous driving practices like flashing lights and headlight blinding that goes on by the same people doing the moaning. To those people - you are contributing to the situation we have on our roads today where people are being injured and killed left right and center.

m_stan wrote:
    child. get with it. what you are doing is wreckless. no discussion.

Ok so I remain behind the car which is blinding me and any other car that drives behind it and do nothing about it, good tip :rolleyes:

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Ok so I remain behind the car which is blinding me and any other car that drives behind it and do nothing about it, good tip :rolleyes:

no, you just don't in turn blind him for two miles. What don't you get about this ? Do you not realise this is dangerous for him, you, and every other driver on both sides of the road ? Do you not realise that you are making a bad situation worse ?

I'm not discussing this further. End of my posts. You are obviously of limited intelligence, so I refuse to discuss it with you.

Go learn to drive responsibly and come back to me when you're figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    I agree that it is annoying Tipsy Mac but you can't have your cake and eat it. You brought yourself down (or below) the level of the other motorist by your actions and then you come on here complaining. You are making yourself difficult to take seriously.

All you had to do was to slow down and allow the car in front to go far enough ahead so that it doesn't bother you or pull over (if possible and legal) and allow someone else past.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    The amount of idiots with fog lights on in bumper to bumper traffic was unbelievable, a clown ahead of me didnt turn his off despite me flashing him about 50 times and driving behind him with my full lights on for 2 miles, hopefully his eyes were as fooked as mine. The whole idea of fog lights is so that where you cannot see the normal rear lights of a car because of the fog the brighter rear fog light will allow other cars to see you.

There's a term for that it's called road rage get over it don't be behaving like a spoilt brat. As usual these fog light threads tend to encourage roadrage with some posters.

If you didn't already notice indicators and brake lights are equally as bright just you decide to pass no remarks to them

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The amount of people driving around with their fog lights on the last couple of days is unreal. I hit 1 50 metre patch of fog where fog lights would have been justified at a push, but yet people hear on the radio that theres fog so they turn on the lights, gob****es.

"Well, I cant see fog myself, but the man on the radio said it's foggy in Ireland so on go the lights till they step down from Defcon 5"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I drove from Cork to Limerick today - and what bothered me the most was people driving with NO lights at all!. The fog was so thick in some places that I couldn't even see the white van behind me because he had no lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

cAr0l wrote:
    I drove from Cork to Limerick today - and what bothered me the most was people driving with NO lights at all!. The fog was so thick in some places that I couldn't even see the white van behind me because he had no lights on.

Bigger issue than a few people with fog lights on in a clear patch!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Driving home (in rush hour traffic) yesterday evening, I was passing the Sandyford industrial (at the luas stop road) when the 206 in front of me decided that it was time to stick on the fog light.
    I flashed them - no response. Another flash - no response.
    They eventually moved into the right lane (to go back into the industrial) and I managed to pull up beside them.
    I politely told her that there was no need for her fog light!
    Her response was "who says?"
    I was actually lost for words!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can I just add that in all my years, I have only had the need to use rear fog lights once and front lights twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

maidhc wrote:
    Bigger issue than a few people with fog lights on in a clear patch!

No, different issue than that.

@kbannon. The attitiude of some drivers is, they have a feature, they use it at the first excuse. She also didn't want you telling her what to do, whether you were right or wrong/ That's what the main fogloght argument often boils down to.

My girlfriend's father uses them because he says on the back roads in Cavan where he drives - ANY extra light is good. Now, we know that's an illusion, and that whatever they'd light up, he'd have alreay passed by the time he sees it, and that also, he's most likely reducing the visibilty of anyone who is in an oncoming car.

But he won't have ME tell him what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

kbannon wrote:
    Can I just add that in all my years, I have only had the need to use rear fog lights once and front lights twice!
    Was driving towards canal from KCR yesterday evening. All the traffic against me coming out of town. NO FOG. I have never seen so many front fog lights on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buttonfreak

People think it looks cool, the front fog lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Nah. It's just their little way of saying "Look at me; I've been let out on my own for once"

Bless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

drove dublin-ennis-dublin the day & night before last, at times in the midlands there was about 50m of visability and people driving with no foggies on, comming back at times there was only about 10m of visability with just outside roscrea being the worst spot. counted 8 cars without no lights on at all during the day 6 women/2men they could easily of killed some of the feckwits who decided to overtake on a single carriageway with 100m of visability!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I drive with my front fogs on on the coutry roads coming home and make no apologies about doing so.

If anyone disagrees - try driving a normal hatchback up the mountains in the dark,when a 4x4 or truck comes the opposite way and tell me that the extra ditch illumination doesnt help keep you on the road.
    If still not convinced, try driving in the rain or drizzle up same mountain roads and then come back on yer pedestal.
    I switch them off before joining traffic anywhere else.

As to
    that whatever they'd light up, he'd have alreay passed by the time he sees it

Clearly you don't have much experience night time country road driving (driving a vehicle with low seating height) - When a vehicle like a 4x4 or truck comes your way on a narrow road...you have to slow to about 5mph to make way for them otherwise you'll end up in the ditch - the exact thing the fogs are good at lighting up!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Longfield wrote:
    If anyone disagrees - try driving a normal hatchback up the mountains in the dark,when a 4x4 or truck comes the opposite way and tell me that the extra ditch illumination doesn't help keep you on the road.
    Yes, I do that all the time, and I do disagree and I'll tell you exactly that. If you're looking at the piece of road in the short distance in front of the car between your front bumper and where your headlights start then you're either driving at 10mph, or driving dangerously by not looking far enough ahead of you.
    If still not convinced, try driving in the rain or drizzle up same mountain roads and then come back on yer pedestal.
    Again, I do it all the time, as do many others here, without the aid of foglights. I suggest you get your normal headlights looked at urgently if they're not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Alun wrote:
    If you're looking at the piece of road in the short distance in front of the car between your front bumper and where your headlights start then you're either driving at 10mph, or driving dangerously by not looking far enough ahead of you.

Well my point was that if you are looking ahead you are totally utterly blinded by certain vehicles, the only thing that keeps you on the road is to look down and to the left where the ditch is and go ahead dead slow
    I suggest you get your normal headlights looked at urgently if they're not up to scratch.

They're fine thanks :)
    Think we will have to agree to disagree on this one as I'm not going to be swayed at all, and neither are you either probably, each to his own.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Longfield wrote:
    Clearly you don't have much experience night time country road driving (driving a vehicle with low seating height) - When a vehicle like a 4x4 or truck comes your way on a narrow road...you have to slow to about 5mph to make way for them otherwise you'll end up in the ditch - the exact thing the fogs are good at lighting up!

My job involves doing exactly that - night time driving, country roads. I have to disagree with you on your point for the following reason.
    30 mph ( 50 kph)is about 44 feet per second. Night time back roads driving can be almost twice that, most of the time - 50 to 60 mph ( 80 -1 00 kph). Add reaction time, 1 second to 1.5 seconds, and the sums negate your contention. The comfort it's giving you is a placebo - nothing more.

Advertisement