Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I dont have any fog lights.

Options
  • 20-12-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

After the rather foggy mornings the past couple of days, its just struck me that I dont actually have any fog lights on my car whatsoever. Its a Puegeot 307 car/van thing. On the dash there are loads of buttons where it should be, but they are all blanked out with face plates. (spot the man who bought the bottom of the range model!!)
    Is that unusual? Its the first vehicle I've had that doesnt have them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nah, pretty normal. Seems to be more common in commerical vehicals like yours.
    You could always get some fitted if it you need them that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Very very rare you would need them, TBH. Even the fog we have this week is not enough, though people won't be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Is it on the light's stalk on the steering column? Could it be just a further 'twist' to turn the fogs on?

Can a new-ish car really be delivered without a fog light :eek:

overdriver wrote:
    Very very rare you would need them, TBH. Even the fog we have this week is not enough, though people won't be told.

You obviously don't drive backroads/country lanes!

Come to think of it, the N4 at 1730 last evening close to Liffey Valley was thick with fog...

The real issue is when the fog lifts and the drivers still persist on using both front and rear fogs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yes, they're still optional extras on many cars - New Opel Corsa (base model), for instance, comes with steel wheels and no fogs as standard. You have to buy a €350 upgrade pack to get the fogs and alloys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My 206 has the switch for the fog light on the stalk (like a band around the stalk). I thought I didn't have one either, but it turns out I'd just never used it before.

And before someone says it, no I've never driven my current car in the fog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Archeron

seamus wrote:
    My 206 has the switch for the fog light on the stalk (like a band around the stalk). I thought I didn't have one either, but it turns out I'd just never used it before.

I must check that now. I really hope I dont hear a crack when I twist it too far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Pity all the other people driving about can find theres.

There has been no need for fog lights anywhere I have been in Dublin for the last few nights.

Unless you cannot see stopping distance infront of you then you dont need them yourself imo.

I doubt you dont have one btw, its law in the uk to have them therefore we get them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Fog lights can be more of a hazard on our roads!! Alot of people don't know how to use them properly and overuse them!!

Dunno about Dublin but down here in the country visibility has been very, very poor for the last 2 days and foglights have been a big benefit - its a lot easier to drive in fog on a road with proper markings that you can follow than it is to drive on a poxy back road with no markings whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Suppose!! If in the country on backroads then fog-lights would be very usefull!!

Stephen wrote:
    Yes, they're still optional extras on many cars - New Opel Corsa (base model), for instance, comes with steel wheels and no fogs as standard. You have to buy a €350 upgrade pack to get the fogs and alloys.

I'm not talking about the 'fashionable' front fogs, more so the rear fog light or lights, which I thought were mandatory. :confused:

On a separate note....
    If you ask me, the reason why front fogs are used so inappropriately is down to the likes of dealers offering them as part of their 'Sport' upgrade, or 'Sport' pack on a new car.
    They're not fitted for fashion, you don't look any cooler with them on when not needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ciarsd wrote:
    They are not a legal requirement here but most vehicles have a rear one at least as it is cumpulsory in the UK (so many manufacturers just fit them to all their models regardless of where they are destined).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

I thopught it was illegal to use fog lights? I read it on here dozens of times! Whole topics dedicated to it!

Geek Nose wrote:
    I thopught it was illegal to use fog lights? I read it on here dozens of times! Whole topics dedicated to it!

Illegal to use 'em when there is no apparent need, yes!

With the low lying fog for the past 36ish Hours, there is a need, in some parts to use 'em

seamus wrote:

Thanks Seamus, a better look has revealed that there is a band on the headlight stalk. Thanks for that, because you actually cant see it from when I sit in the drivers position (ahem, excuses, ahem)

I'm glad to find it anyway. I agree that Dublin hasnt been too bad, but down around the Kildare Meath border, I'd be much happier with this on.
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. (yeay, I've learned something today)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Archeron wrote:
    Thanks Seamus, a better look has revealed that there is a band on the headlight stalk. Thanks for that, because you actually cant see it from when I sit in the drivers position (ahem, excuses, ahem)
    Well, considering that I was driving last night, thought, "I don't have fog lights. Or do I? Look *behind* the steering wheel and there's a well-hidden switch. So I know exactly what you mean :)

Ahem :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52521998&postcount=4

Glad ye got sorted, although the fog seems to have lifted somewhat from where I am looking!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

At least you have your headlights on. The amout of muppets i've seen over the last few days is shocking. A lot of people either have
    • Parking lights on. Doing 120 km/h
    • No lights
    • The odd high beams on
    Those little candle type lights are parking lights, aren't they?

The slight dim lights are the low beams (first click on the stalk) on many different marque's.

Parking lights are usually just the left or right hand side headlight and corresponding rear light depending on RHD or LHD. These can be used without the need of a key in the ignition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

overdriver wrote:

:eek: :eek:
    I had less than 10m visability going home last night. Not much better this morning.

Rear Fogs should be obligatory (and they should be wired to stay off after the engine is turned off)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

prospect wrote:
    Rear Fogs should be obligatory (and they should be wired to stay off after the engine is turned off)
    In many models they go off automatically when the normal lights are turned off ( i.e. the pull out type). I don't understand why all makes can't adopt this simple system. We wouldn't have the "there's a weird amber light in my dash for the past three weeks" brigade. :rolleyes:

Yeah, my rear fogs turn off automatically when you turn off the lights/engine. When you switch back on the rear fogs stay off. Mysteriously, the front ones don't behave like this.

Also, I thought parking lights were the crappy five-watt bulbs on both passenger and driver side? Met a few plonkers driving on these in the heavy fog this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

ciarsd wrote:
    They're not fitted for fashion, you don't look any cooler with them on when not needed!

I had a conversation about this with a mate of mine recently:

Me: The amount of fecking idiots who drive with their fog lights on when there's no fog, it's very annoying
    Him: ah yeah but it looks cool though
    Me: *punches mate squarely on the nose* (well not really but I felt like it!)

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

jonny24ie wrote:
    Fog lights can be more of a hazard on our roads!! Alot of people don't know how to use them properly and overuse them!!

I bet that 33% of people on the road dont even know they have fog lights... it's a case of when it's dark, just turn on all the light switches :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

[BEGIN RANT]
    Amount of muppets on the N3 this morning in bad lighting/heavy fog with NO lights on at all was unbelievable!! :mad: I mean, most of the time these same muppets can't find the off switch for the damn things (apparently) and now today when they'd be of some use they don't bother turning on the lights at ALL????

And where are the Gardai in all this? Probably too cold for them to go out was it? :mad:
    [END RANT]

...ahh I feel better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

RobAMerc wrote:
    Pity all the other people driving about can find theres.

There has been no need for fog lights anywhere I have been in Dublin for the last few nights.

Unless you cannot see stopping distance infront of you then you dont need them yourself imo.

I doubt you dont have one btw, its law in the uk to have them therefore we get them.

Sorry to nit-pick but ...

I drive the M50 every day and while I know you can't often do close to the speed limit on that road, you can at the times I'd be driving it - at least in sections (6:15am, 7:30pm). There has been heavy fog in these sections at these times the last two days.

According to this site, stopping distance is 315 ft @ 70mph. Not an insignificant distance and within the distance that fog has been impairing visibility the last few days.

I therefore conclude that fog lights have been necessary in Dublin in the last few days :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ciarsd wrote:
    Given Archeron managed to get sorted, I can ask this....
    Can a new-ish car really be delivered without an owners manual :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

kbannon wrote:

"Saucer of milk to table 2!"

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:

Yes, a valid question, and the answer is yes, it can. And given the fact that in the first year of ownership I had to have both headlights replaced, the electrics went wonky, the radio was dodgy, an engine mount had to be replaced and it developed a rather costly diesel leak, the fact that I had no manual was the least of my concerns.

Sure who needs an owners manual when you have the friendly folk of boards.ie :)

Advertisement