Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I dont have any fog lights.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

m_stan wrote:
    Sorry to nit-pick but ...

I drive the M50 every day and while I know you can't often do close to the speed limit on that road, you can at the times I'd be driving it - at least in sections (6:15am, 7:30pm). There has been heavy fog in these sections at these times the last two days.

According to this site, stopping distance is 315 ft @ 70mph. Not an insignificant distance and within the distance that fog has been impairing visibility the last few days.

I therefore conclude that fog lights have been necessary in Dublin in the last few days :D

Are you saying you would not see the lights of a car at 300ft in the conditions of the last few days unless they had their fog lights on?

I personally think alot of the people who drive with fog lights on are those who get in the car and turn every knob in it till the engine makes a noise then "drives" - we are just unfortuneate they found the fog lights before the igition.

Else they think if two lights are safe - all lights on must be safer ! - Plus them driving at 20kph below speed limit makes them safest driver in world! (Gay Byrne said slow down)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

RobAMerc wrote:
    Are you saying you would not see the lights of a car at 300ft in the conditions of the last few days unless they had their fog lights on?

I personally think alot of the people who drive with fog lights on are those who get in the car and turn every knob in it till the engine makes a noise then "drives" - we are just unfortuneate they found the fog lights before the igition.

Else they think if two lights are safe - all lights on must be safer ! - Plus them driving at 20kph below speed limit makes them safest driver in world! (Gay Byrne said slow down)
    Some muppet pulled out of a junction in front of me the other day (not so much that I had to brake, but enough to make me wonder why they didn't wait), and apart from me chuckling to myself at them proceeding to accelerate slowely up the right hand lane where there was an overtaking lane provided, they encountered a very slight hint of a fog patch. More of a haze patch really, but instantly on came the rear fog light. What the hell do these peolpe think? That all of a sudden I was there in my car saying "where'd the car go?" Maybe people reckon the rear foglight is for illuminating the face of the driver behind you when you're in fog.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Archeron wrote:
    Sure who needs an owners manual when you have the friendly folk of boards.ie :)
    Now you are talking sense! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

On another note regarding fog light usage.

I wonder where would you stand if you were involved in an accident and you did not have your fog light(s) on (in Fog, like the past couple days for instance) :confused:

it cannot be proven that fogs were necessary at the time of an incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buttonfreak

In the Netherlands and Germany there is a rule for using the rear fog light (front is not required by law) only if visibily is less then 50 meters. If the police catch you having them on when visibilty is more, you can get a hefty fine.

In Dublin I have not seen conditions like that. Outside of Dublin I have. By the way, most people don't know about keeping distances either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buttonfreak

MarkR wrote:
    At least you have your headlights on. The amout of muppets i've seen over the last few days is shocking. A lot of people either have
    • Parking lights on. Doing 120 km/h
    • No lights
    • The odd high beams on
    Those little candle type lights are parking lights, aren't they?

:o I was stupid enough to not turn my headlight switch far enough yesterday. I found out when I turned them out. Had been driving with almost no lights. Stupid from me and even more so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ciarsd wrote:
    On another note regarding fog light usage.

I wonder where would you stand if you were involved in an accident and you did not have your fog light(s) on (in Fog, like the past couple days for instance) :confused:
    The fitting of fogs lights (front or rear) is not a legal requirement here so I can't see how a motorist can be penalised for not using them. (I'm not is any way advocating that they should not be used).

:o I was stupid enough to not turn my headlight switch far enough yesterday. I found out when I turned them out. Had been driving with almost no lights. Stupid from me and even more so dangerous.
    This week I have come across two different cars driving (in the dark!) with one fog light on at the back and no other lights.
    With the first fella, I pulled up beside him (in his 06 Audi) and told him and his reply was that the fog was on because the fuse for the others went earlier. Dumbass had just passed the Texaco at the Foxhunter so he obviously wasn't too much in a hurry to get seen properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote:
    his reply was that the fog was on because the fuse for the others went earlier
    Two fuses must have 'went' then as lights are never on the same one. :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement