Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worst day of year for crashes

Options
  • 20-12-2006 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭

According to the Indo, today is the worst day of the year for crashes, article is here. Also seems Cork is the most dangerous place in Ireland to be driving so take it easy out there today especially if you're in the rebel county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Speeding young male drivers, possibly drunk

Quality unbiased reporting backed up by facts yet again from the Independant. Shur aren't those young 'uns always drunk?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Typical that young people get the blame!! Someone should really get the real stats on this issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

The 'real' stats do state that young male drivers are involved in the most crashes and fatalities...

I was more referring to the Indo's added comment of "possibly drunk" which has no relation to the stats released and seems only there to reinforce stereotypes. I mean I could use the phrase "possibly drunk" when describing everyone; it wouldn't make for good fact-based reporting. Eg: there are currently 30,000 people posting on boards.ie, possibly drunk.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes but the stats don't say who was driving the cars etc!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

I have just come off the cherrywood m50 exit where it seems a young male driver lost control spun crashed no idea if he was drunk though

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Yeah, using the word 'possibly' is shoddy journalism...it implies 'them mad young fella's in their souped-up car's driving around like lunactics, injecting themselves with marijuana' kind of thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Stark wrote:
    Eg: there are currently 30,000 people posting on boards.ie, possibly drunk.
    After a certain hour at night, probably correct.:D

Ah sure they have to cover themselves and "possibly" is a good way to do that!!

Yup.

There should be a thread in the Cuckoo's nest, write an Independent article.

To start: 10,000 people, possibly child molesters, took to the streets of Dublin today to buy presents in the final run up to Christmas.

Reminds me of Kent Brockman's reporting in the Simpsons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement