Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a slider float

Options
  • 20-12-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

I'l looking for hints on using a slider float ? - never fished one before, but I'm heading for a venue just after christmas that is perfect for one.

I presume you use a small stop knot on the line to cock the float & allow casting ?

Anyone ever used one ? - is it a case of guestimating the depth initially & moving a stop bead on the line until you get the depth right ?

Any tips gratefully received

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 batman1998

Hi Andy

You can use a small rubber band like things whioch you can easily attach to line and move it around quite freely. i used one once pike fishing and got it in ABC tackle. That old man in there is very helpful and knows what he is talking about. Just ask him what you want and bobs ur uncle.
    only cost a euro or two for a small pack of them. i lost the remainder that day.
    Are you a winter piker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

u can use the billy lane sliding knot - dunno if that would hold a pike float though.

Dunno if a sliding float is worthwhile piking...id just leger if i was putting it on the bottom..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks - this outing is is actually for Bream, but I do a fair bit of winter piking too.

The part the concerns me when using it for coarse fishing is the stop not or rubber itself. With the rings on the rod considerably smaller than on a Pike rod, is there not a danger that the stop know/rubber will jam in the rings when casting ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Andip wrote:
    The part the concerns me when using it for coarse fishing is the stop not or rubber itself. With the rings on the rod considerably smaller than on a Pike rod, is there not a danger that the stop knot/rubber will jam in the rings when casting ??

Yup, theres always that, just make sure its a small stopknot and I would normally have a tiny rubber bead between it and the float free running on the line as well, last thing you want is the float getting stuck on the stopknot when trying to land a fish. I use some mono to make the stopknot for this style of fishing and keep it as small and neat as i can get away with.

Alot of my float fishing for tench over the summer was done with a sliding float, mainly due to the lack of calm days and it worked a treat and had numerous fish to lift bites. I was using a small crystal waggler running on the line with no shot on the line, a couple of small float stops about 4-5 inches from the hook and then a mini rig ring running on the line above that, a short bit of braid tied to it with 3 SSG's on the braid. After casting i sank the rod tip and a few turns of the reel sank the line, then placed the rod in the rests and tighted up, and sat with my hand on the rod.

This isn't the most delicate way of fishing cause if everythings tight some fish, depending on the direction they approach the bait, will have alot of resistance when sucking in the bait, but you can float fish this way in almost any weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

as long as the weights below the float are heavy enough to reach the bottom the knot will stop.
    it should just be a small billy lane knot.
    best o' luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 justin2007

Use a polaris float no need to mess about with stop knots or beads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭aassddff

justin2007 wrote: »
    Use a polaris float no need to mess about with stop knots or beads

I tried this last time out and it worked well

Advertisement