Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding question

Options
  • 20-12-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

I got my La fonera wireless router yesterday (thank you boards.ie). I already have a router with three Lan ports and one ATA phone port for VOIP so I need to keep that for my phone line. On that router I had a number of ports forwarded to the I.P. address of my computer but since I connected the La Fonera router to one of the Lan ports on my existing router, the I.P. address of my computer has changed. Now, I know how to set up the port forwarding on both routers but what I'm looking for is some advice on what the best setup would be.

For example, should I now either:

1. Set all the port forwards on my old router to go to the La Fonera and then set the same ports on the La Fonera to forward them to the I.P. address of my computer?

2. Set all the port forwardson my old router to go directly to the I.P. address of my computer, i.e. - have no port forwarding on the La Fonera?

or

3. Have no port forwarding on the old router and let the La Fonera handle all the forwarding?

Would any of these work?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement