Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem fitting kitchen tap

Options
  • 20-12-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I first fixed my kitchen sink the other day, but had trouble getting a tight fit on the nut holding the tap in place. The taps I fit in the utility room were fine as I was able to get a good grip with a wrench and get it nice and tight.

But the tap in the kitchen is a tall pull-out rinse mixer one I got from the UK and the fitting is different. I tried a few different types of wrench and just wasn’t able to get a good grip on it as the wrench had to come in at an angle due to the trim on the underside of the sink. I fit the tap when before fitting the sink into the worktop, and will be taking the sink back out to tighten the tap if I can find the right way to do it.

The first photo is a shot from underneath the sink and shows the nut and the threaded piece is essentially the bolt that screws into the base of the tap and is held down by the nut in the photo. The second photo is just to give an indication of the tap being used and the scenario (i.e. as it’s a tall tap it needs to be a good hold on it).

I think the adjustable wrench had to be opened to 32mm to get a grip on the nut (might have been 34mm) and that’s about 2mm wider than my basin wrench can fit, and the few types of adjustable wrench I tried just couldn’t get a decent bite on it. I also have access to an extendable socket set, but max socket on that is 27mm and I think the threaded piece might get in the way of the socket (assuming I took off the tap and fitted the threaded piece and nut without the tails or tap in place first).

Any ideas on how to get a good tight fit on this tap would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

HI F

Is there any way that you could put a large screw driver between the nut and the side of the sink.

Hold the nut in place by pressure and slightly rotate the whole tap unit.
    Kinda doing it in reverse.
    It will be slower doing it this way and may need a second pair of hands.

Other than that - new spanner ??

K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks Karl,

Sounds like the screwdriver idea might be worth a try.

There's nothing wrong with the wrenches and spanners I have though - it's just an awkward one to get a grip on. Wonder if anyone might know of a particular type of wrench, spanner, or some other tool that plumbers normally use for this kind of task?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi again,

there is a plumbers wrench that folds to the side and it is used for tightening or loosening tap nuts but they are usually 1/2" -don't qwuote me on it.

a pic

It may work if you can get one.
    The top part of it has a hinge and the wrench part falls to the left or right.
    The section that grabs the nut is self adjustable and tightens with force.

Any plumbing supplies will have them - just measure the nut beofre buying.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

you want a tap spanner aka basin wrench

http://www.diydata.com/tool/spanner/spanner.php

any plumbers supply place should have them,
    prob B&Q, Woodies too

Advertisement