Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fu*kin new tyre is bust

Options
  • 20-12-2006 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Theres two roads near me with massive potholes that have developed in the last few days. On one you just come over the brow of a hill and your car lands into a massive hole. No signs or anything. Its a ****in disgrace. The sidewall on my new tyre is ****ed. I want the county council to pay for my tyre. ****in ***** didn't even bother to put a sign up. I really want to scream at them.

Where do I stand?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In all fairness they probably didn't know about the holes if they are only popping up over the last few days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm guessing no where.
    Can't see the council paying for it. If they paid for one, then everyone would try it.
    You knew the pot holes where there, try to avoid them the next time.
    It is **** to be stuck with the cost but not much ya can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Well, you can't even see the pothole. In fact, its not a pothole. Its a crater. It takes up the whole road literally. I was like a crash landing when I came over the brow.

Its not my problem if they didn't know about the holes. There actually there over a week from what ive heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Take a photo of it before it gets filled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Council will pay for the damage. Take photos immediately (before they're filled in) Give the photos and a copy of the invoice into your local office. I was paid for a tyre a few months back. Be careful taking the photos BTW.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055030294

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

junii wrote:
    Well, you can't even see the pothole. In fact, its not a pothole. Its a crater. It takes up the whole road literally. I was like a crash landing when I came over the brow.

Its not my problem if they didn't know about the holes. There actually there over a week from what ive heard.

Actually if you were bothered with it you could have informed the coucil about the holes when you first leart of them!!! As a road user its in your interest as well as theirs to know about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Slim to no chances I'd say. It sounds to me like you were going too fast to see the crater, this will probably be the first thing the council says too.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Actually if you were bothered with it you could have informed the coucil about the holes when you first leart of them!!! As a road user its in your interest as well as theirs to know about it!!

Don't worry. They will be informed when they get the f*ckin bill. :mad:

biko wrote:
    Slim to no chances I'd say. It sounds to me like you were going too fast to see the crater, this will probably be the first thing the council says too.

Agreed there!!

Also its a bit odd that the sidewall went in the tyre when it hit a pothole!! If it was brand new then it would be strong enought to withstand that!!

biko wrote:

And how in the wide world did you read my post to interpret it that way?

• Advertisement

junii wrote:
    Theres two roads near me with massive potholes that have developed in the last few days.
    junii wrote:
    Well, you can't even see the pothole. In fact, its not a pothole. Its a crater. It takes up the whole road literally.
    You can see. No wait, you can't. Ah, I'm confused.
    junii wrote:
    It is your problem now. If the roads are near you, I'm sure you have driven on them lately.
    If you heard about the large potholes from other people, then it likely you are not the only one that will get get a damaged tyre.

It is normal for people to moan about the state of Irish roads. We see potholes and gripe about them but never give the local authority a call. When the problem directly affects us, then we need to blame the council. The council may be unaware of all the potholes and it would help if the public let them know of serious ones that need attention before damage to a vehicle occurs.

To be honest, I would be the same as you. Wouldn't have called to the council if I noticed a pothole. But I would rant and rave if it damged my car in any way :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

In fairness I reported 2 'comedy big' potholes in Dundalk, they were filled in that evening when I got home. The truck that repairs potholes is in Dundalk 1 week out of 4 so potholes can be left un-attended for up to 3 weeks. This is probably similar nation-wide.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junii
    Theres two roads near me with massive potholes that have developed in the last few days.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junii
    Well, you can't even see the pothole. In fact, its not a pothole. Its a crater. It takes up the whole road literally.
    You can see. No wait, you can't. Ah, I'm confused.

No you can't see it BEFORE you land in it. Obviously man you can see it when you land IN it. Its all you can bloody well see...its so big!

junii wrote:
    And how in the wide world did you read my post to interpret it that way?
    That you didn't see the hole until it was too late.
    "If you cannot stop on the bit of road you can see - you are going too fast", old Indian proverb.

biko wrote:
    That you didn't see the hole until it was too late.
    "If you cannot stop on the bit of road you can see - you are going too fast", old Indian proverb.

I also said this.
    "You just come over the brow of a hill and your car lands into a massive hole."

junii wrote:
    I also said this.
    "You just come over the brow of a hill and your car lands into a massive hole."

Yes but you should always slow down on hills if you can't see over them!! What happens if someone was over taking and you ran straight into them because you couldn't see over the hill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jonny24ie wrote:
    Agreed there!!

Also its a bit odd that the sidewall went in the tyre when it hit a pothole!! If it was brand new then it would be strong enought to withstand that!!

Not really. The same thing happened to my GF in our new car last February. Less than 200 miles on the clock and she hit a pothole doing about 40KPH. The sidewall looked like someone was pushing a baseball out from the inside.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What if there were a small child who had stepped out in the middle of the road, or indeed a flock of sheep over the brow of the hill?
    Would you have spotted them in time?

Ok point taken about the sidwall, thank Mr. P!!

I thought it would be fairly bad but it could be many things like too much air etc in it aswell!!

MrP, the problem was a woman was driving. THat would never happen a guy ;)

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote:

Ha ha ha!!! Classic!!!

Rabies wrote:
    Was just wondering when someone was was gonna bring that old tired up.
    It is the motor forum after all.

Advertisement