Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My goldfish have disappeared

Options
  • 20-12-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of an odd one.
    I have built two ponds in my back garden, and put 2 Koi and 2 goldfish into each. The first pond has been there for nearly three years now, and the second for a year, and the fish have been perfectly happy in them all this time. I feed them regularly, and keep the ponds clean, so I've never had a problem.

However, day before yesterday, I went out to feed them, and the whole lot of them are missing in action. Both ponds are ominously empty and I've no idea what happened. I know we have frogs in the garden, but I cant see them doing it. Any idea where they might have went?

Do fish fly south for the winter? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

You sure they're not just right down at the bottom ? Remember water at 4 deg C is the most dense so that will be at the bottom and thats where the fish usually go for the warmer water.

Failing that - Herons ? Cat ?
    Archeron wrote:
    I know we have frogs in the garden, but I cant see them doing it

This P Nally business is getting out of hand ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I dont think our native frogs eat anything that big and they dont feed underwater as far as I know. Secondly they would be in hibernation at this time of the year.
    Cat maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've heard that koi 'hibernate' when it gets really cold (as it has in recent days). They just kind of snuggle down in the bottom of the pond amongst the weeds and mud partially burying themselves. Google on 'koi hibernate' and you'll find plenty of links.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

More than likely cats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd say herons or mischievous neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My mates sister has an outdoor goldfish pond and she once saw a large bird (heron?) eating the fish out of the pond before she ran out and scared it off.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/bwi/pages092003/learnaboutbirds/downloads/14_Herons%20and%20fishponds.pdf

I think its more likley that you have been robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

More than likely a heron. They are expert fishers and picking off a few fish in a pond is an easy meal...

Get a net or cover of some sort - and some new fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

thanks all for the replies. The Heron option could be a runner alright, as my dogs have been going mental at a few select times (dusk usually) and we didnt know why. I'll get a net, and perhaps a few dozen piranha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

A heron seems the most likely reason. I actually caught a heron in the act last year at my garden pond. It is also possible that they are at the very bottom of the pond as said above. If they dont reappear in the spring when the weather gets warmer then you'll know for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement