Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Eggnog?

Options
  • 20-12-2006 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Does anybody here make eggnog?

Warm or cold?
    Raw eggs or cooked?

Doesn't sound nice but might make it once this Xmas to taste it.
    Or does anywhere in Dublin serve it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 InColorado

It is very popular in the US. I would never make it because of salmonella potential. I can buy it easily, over the counter.

Is it sold and available easily in the stores there in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Sorry to bring up an old topic.

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin egg nog is served or available over the counter?

I know you can make it or buy Advocaat, but looking for the non-alcoholic type sold in cartons in the states and Canada.
    cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd have a look around Marks & Spencers - they usually have this kind of thing in the festive season.

Yeah, tried M&S the last couple of years with no joy. Guess it's just not popular enough round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Someone recently mentioned to me that Dunnes might be stocking it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dudara, will give them another try. Was in a smaller Dunnes last night and didn't notice any but might be worth trying a bigger one.

Tried Tescos as well, no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I have never heard of cooked eggs being used, or it being drunk warm.

A basic recipe (that I have not tried it) would be:

6 eggs
    1 1/2 pints milk
    8 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Any alcohol (whisky, brandy etc.) can be added optionally here too.

Basically put it all together in the blender until thick and smooth. Chill for several hours. Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

God it really does sound bloody awful doesn't it? And anyone who knows me KNOWS I never judge anything edible until I've tasted it myself, but eggnog is one thing that I just don't say "ooo I must make that this year". In fairness perhaps I should, since we have our own little team of free range chickens and I can get enough eggs to make a recipe like the one neuro posted out of two days laying, so I know they'll be fresh. We have brandy too. Hmmm maybe it's time to overcome my suspicions...

I agree. It sounds awful, but it must be popular for a reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Terrible for your cholesterol though :p.

Are raw eggs always dangerous, or is it just when they might have stuff like bird flu?

• Advertisement

Raw eggs may carry salmonella or other nasties like that. However, the Irish egg industry (if that is the thing to call it) made huge advances years ago in eliminating salmonella from egg production. These days the chances of catching something that way are quite slim.

From the Bord Bia website
    Ireland is one of only four EU countries (the other three are Scandinavian) which have an EU approved salmonella plan. This places Ireland in the world premier league in terms of salmonella prevention and control. Under the plan all egg farms are tested and monitored by the Department of Agriculture and Food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I have had egg nog in the past - the shop-bought variety. I don't remember disliking it particularly. It's odd because it's a thick, custardy drink, which bears no resemblance to any other drink we would typically have. The thing it's closest to is a milkshake, but obviously it's quite different. One thing that is important to remember is that it really does need to be drunk chilled, even with ice. Lukewarn egg nog, ugh.

There are loads of variations in the US - they fold whipped cream and all kinds of spices into it, but the basic recipe is less scary to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Anything mixed with milk makes me suspicious. Unless it's cocoa.

Anyone remember Frilk? Concentrated orange juice and milk? Anyone else shuddering?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ugh, Dawn had something like that too - "Smooth and juicy", I think. It made my stomach turn just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Faith wrote: »
    Ugh, Dawn had something like that too - "Smooth and juicy", I think. It made my stomach turn just thinking about it.

It's nice!

And the still have it btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CailanOC

Starbucks have been doing eggnog in their coffee for years. Ask for an 'eggnog steamer'. Like 3.60 for the biggest one and they'll only do it warm.

So I take it you still can't get Egg Nog in cartons in Dublin? I've been keeping an eye out in all the major supermarkets. Someone mentioned Aldi before, but nothing there last week.

Made some last week but it's just not the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zombie thread. For up to date info ask the nice folks in Beers, Wines & Spirits.

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement