Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rear rim for hybrid

Options
  • 20-12-2006 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi,

I need to change the rear rim on my Trek hybrid. The bike is not worth much, but I keep it in perfect condition and I use it for touring on the weekends, or even longer trips (2/3 weeks).

I was thinking in getting something decent and strong, so it'll be able to hold the weight in the carrier. Would you recommend a particular brand/shop? Will it be cheaper if I buy the complete wheel, with hub and spokes, or re-build the new rim on the actual hub.

The bike has 700cc wheels and 21 speed. I saw a website selling front and rear wheels, with Deore hubs, for £79, but then I'd have to get a new cassete and rear mech to accommodate the extra gears...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hi Titiritero. To answer your questions...
    Would you recommend a particular brand/shop?

I'd recommend Cyclelogical in town, but most bike shops should be able to do it. Personally, I feel that wheel building is very important so I'd want it done by someone I trust.
    Will it be cheaper if I buy the complete wheel, with hub and spokes, or re-build the new rim on the actual hub.

It depends. A new, machine built wheel will probably be similar cost to hand-building new rim and spokes onto your existing hub. I would choose the latter due to trusting a wheel builder more than machine built wheels - they'll be stronger and stay true longer.
    The bike has 700cc wheels and 21 speed. I saw a website selling front and rear wheels, with Deore hubs, for £79, but then I'd have to get a new cassete and rear mech to accommodate the extra gears...

Deore hubs are normally found on 26" mountain bike wheels. However, some touring bikes built for loaded touring come with 700c wheels that have been built up with the stronger mountain bike hubs. So just confirm that the wheel size is right for you.

Link to the wheels you saw here and we'll take a look.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

you do know carriers can only take so much weight...might be a thought before you spend €100 on a rear rim. check out www.chainreactioncycles.com
    really cheap and has free next day delivery. they are based up north near belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

kona wrote:
    you do know carriers can only take so much weight...might be a thought before you spend €100 on a rear rim. check out www.chainreactioncycles.com
    really cheap and has free next day delivery. they are based up north near belfast
    Agreed on CRC.

Carriers can take quite a lot of weight - I've seen several rated up to 40kgs.

40kgs is the difference between a light rider and a heavy rider, so unless the OP is 120kg+ already he should be ok if he takes care of the rim & spokes.

(speaking as a 95kg rider who bust 5 rear spokes on last loaded tour :) )

Advertisement