Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest CSO ICT stats (Dec 2006) are out

Options
  • 20-12-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/industry/2006/ictireland2006.pdf

Some stats:
    Reasons for not using the Internet

The main reasons given by households without internet access were that they did not need the internet (33.1%), did not want the internet (21.5%) and the equipment cost was too high (16.7%).

In 2005, just 12.2% of households indicated that high equipment costs were a reason for not having access to the internet at home.

The number of households that do not have access to the
    internet has fallen over the year from 768,900 to 743,500. See Table 4.4.

55.8% of the Irish population aged 16-74 have used a computer and nearly half (48.1%) have used the internet. Since June 2005, in percentage terms,
    computer and internet use increased across nearly all age groups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sorry for delay, but posted on the website now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

"55.8% of the Irish population aged 16-74 have used a computer and nearly half (48.1%) have used the internet."

That seems like a shockingly low figure. I know it includes people up to 74 but still, I would expect most of those people to know someone who has introduced them to the Internet at least once or twice. My parents are in the upper end of this age bracket and just today my mother was sending an e-greeting to a cousin in Canada and writing emails to others and my Da was paying bills on billpay.ie.

Also almost everyone in my family is qualified in IT (excluding parents who aren't, only my little brother doesn't have a degree in Computer Sciene or Software Development and he's studying to get one) and we can't get broadband. Its not for lack of wanting it or enquiring about it.

Seems the situation just gets worse as time goes on. Only Last Mile in my area and after enquiring about them and starting a poll, the most picked option was "run for your life". Even if I did want it, we'd still have to be tested for line of sight which we might not have. Bloody more and more ridiculous it gets.

Advertisement