Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm Mangan Irelands Best modern decathlete?

Options
  • 20-12-2006 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Did anyone ever compete against Colm Mangan of Bellmullet in Mayo in the early to mid 90's. I remember a Mayo Athletics event in Nenagh in Tipperary where he won every event from 60m, 60m Hurdles, 800m, 1500m, shot put. He won all those events in Nationally competitive times and distances. His build was outstanding. At 14 he stood 6'1" (maybe 6'2"), broad shoulders, powerful arms, a massive stride, a superb blend of speed, strength, power and stamina.
    The last I heard he had given up athletics and was just a regular Joe not competing.
    It's a shame (I'v given up as well :( ) that he never got picked up by National coaches as he would have been Olympic competive with the right training. He was definitely capable of 1:55 in 800m, 15m+ in shotput, 11 seconds in 100m, 4:00 in 1500m.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

No offence to Mayo but a sweep like that in the Mayo indoors would not signify greatness. Irelands greatest decathlete was Carlos O Connell or Barry Walsh while Antoine Burke would have had the potential to be a geniune decathlete - 2.24 HJ, 46s 400, 51s 400h, mid 7m LJ, low 15's high hurdler. Never heard of Colm Mangan, what kind of times did he do, what age is he, is he the Keyser Soze of Irish Athletics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

He is now 26. He swept the field in Mayo by a considerable distance. He was barely beaten into second place all through his days in Athletics in the 800m by a guy from Cork I think. His times when 14 would have been somewhere around low 2minutes. He would have been an ox in the strength events.
    Antoine Burkes stats look incredible there. 2.24 High Jump, 46 seconds 400m.
    I think the High Jump and Long Jump is where maybe a decathlete should start from (on reflection :) ), those two events can give you a considerable margin over your opponents.

P.J.

Advertisement