Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EDGE Networks?

• 20-12-2006 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Do any of the mobile phone companies offer EDGE functionality on their networks or are they all focussed only on 3G?

I stupidly went and bought a smartphone with EDGE functionality, but no 3G. :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Meteor were supposed to have EDGE up and running at least one (if not two) years back. Only Meteor looked at EDGE in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's surprising how little information is on the respective companies' websites. Even Comreg, that bastion of telecommunication enforcement, has nothing techy on mobile networks.

O2 mentions EDGE, but only while roaming.

Oh well, time to trade in my 5 month old phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

that would be xda atom you kept raving on about?
    pity, there's not many ppc phones that have 3g except for the htc tytn or p3600?
    tbh there wasn't any need for edge cos 3g was just around the corner, its big in america cos they adopted the technology early( suprise suprise!)

damo86 wrote:

That would be the one. I love it, but now I am beginning to wonder should I have held off and gone for the tytn or something else.
    damo86 wrote:
    its big in america cos they adopted the technology early( suprise suprise!)

Or did they adopt it late? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

damo86 wrote:
    pity, there's not many ppc phones that have 3g except for the htc tytn or p3600?
    tbh there wasn't any need for edge cos 3g was just around the corner, its big in america cos they adopted the technology early( suprise suprise!)

if you're looking for a good 3g pda-phone, keep an eye out for the upcoming eten devices next year.

from what i hear they're likely to bring out a 3g version of their m700 pocketpc phone- which would mean slider keyboard, wifi, 3g, gps, bluetooth, fm radio and decent processor in a nice form factor...could be a killer device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Meteor has EDGE coverage since the summer.

Just checked their website for data costs.

For a mere €70 a month you, as a "heavy" user, get a whopping 100Mb a month and for each Mb you download, get charged 70c for the privilege. Outisde of that Mega 100Mb, you get charged €1.40 per megabyte.

And I thought O2 were a rip off? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

lol, meteor are having a laugh!
    3 x series...here i come!

@mkennedy

dont mind the eten (glofish now! ), asus are bringing out a ppc phone with everything bar gps, in a very slim package!
    also releasing a every interesting smartphone too,lets hope o2 irl are releasing this!!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/27/o2_asus_prep_xda_launches/

your glofish,

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/30/e-ten_glofiish_phone/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

tom dunne wrote:
    Just checked their website for data costs.

For a mere €70 a month you, as a "heavy" user, get a whopping 100Mb a month and for each Mb you download, get charged 70c for the privilege. Outisde of that Mega 100Mb, you get charged €1.40 per megabyte.

And I thought O2 were a rip off? :D
    Where did you find these prices?

Right here, in the business section.

• Advertisement
Advertisement