Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Disaster of an event

Options
  • 20-12-2006 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Tripod last night, another disaster of a night.

People on the guest list being refused, club empty for half the night, letting in people in hoodies and runners and then refusing various auditors and committee members who were well dressed and on the guest list.

No crowd control, bouncers using megaphones unneccessarily, ents people running around in a panic not knowing whats going on.

My sister handed her ticket into the cloakroom girl to get her coat back, who turned around to get it then denied ever having received a ticket. This happened to several people.

Where does the buck stop with these terrible, terrible events? Who is ultimately responsible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Okay thats Tripod ruled out of my list for tomorrow night its basically down to 21 and Tramco now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

wow that's an impressive cockup even by UCD standards. You have my sympathy, if I payed money to go out to a ents organised event after my exams and had to suffer that I'd fuming. I wish I believed that someone would take responsibility but I don't.

EDIT: I'm waiting for the "it was all the club's fault, there was nothing we could do" excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Chakar wrote:
    Okay thats Tripod ruled out of my list for tomorrow night its basically down to 21 and Tramco now.

I'd hit Barcode in lieu of either of them. They're both absolutely awful - though TramCo has the redeeming feature of being able to pour drinks off the interior balcony at the bouncers below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

mloc wrote:
    Tripod last night, another disaster of a night.

People on the guest list being refused, club empty for half the night, letting in people in hoodies and runners and then refusing various auditors and committee members who were well dressed and on the guest list.

No crowd control, bouncers using megaphones unneccessarily, ents people running around in a panic not knowing whats going on.

My sister handed her ticket into the cloakroom girl to get her coat back, who turned around to get it then denied ever having received a ticket. This happened to several people.

Where does the buck stop with these terrible, terrible events? Who is ultimately responsible?
    was that a society or UCDents?

Who is usually on the guest list for these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

It sounds like it was all tripods fault. The bouncers are employed by tripod , the cloakroom attendants also. Ents would have had no control over the running of the club on the night. It sounds like bouncers being assholes and refusing people off their own bat... and inexperienced clockroom staff screwing up. Hard to blame ents for this but would be suprised if UCD book it for another gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Tripod is pretty **** considering all the hype so no one in reality lost out.

Responsibilty lies with Tripod completely, there was obviously f**k all transparency going on. The bouncers were obviously on one hell of an ego trip that night or maybe it was the night they had RA heads on the door.

jimi_t wrote:
    I'd hit Barcode in lieu of either of them. They're both absolutely awful - though TramCo has the redeeming feature of being able to pour drinks off the interior balcony at the bouncers below.

There aren't any nights on by the societies in Barcode tomorrow night.Its like 21 is Lawsoc and Tramco is by another one.

Can't wait for tomorrow evening. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Why do they always have student nights out in the same places?!Tripod,twentyone all awful places!
    More nights out in the palace,turks head and a bit of variety please!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I got a leaflet for a student party in Bondi after my last exam. €2 drinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It's true that in most ways it was tripods fault, but at the same time, Ents should be ultimately responsible for thier own events. Theres far too much pawning off of blame going on this year with regards societies.

Holly Irvine, sort your life out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Pantsless

They are always in the same places because these are the places frequented by the types of people who go there on a regular basis and cant see any other venues . Ill let you think who these "types" of people are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Really?

It wouldn't have anything to do with those clubs giving Ents and societies good rates and a share of the profits not to mention drinks promotions?

Also there are certain places that, regardless of whether or not you enjoy them or not, always sell out (like 21). The potential financial loss from running an unsuccessful nightclub event is so great that societies have to go with what they know will work.

And see my thread about ents in about 5 seconds for a continuation....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I avoid most of the PoD complex apart from the Odeon - i remember being there about 4 years ago and the sound system was so bad i swore i'd never go back.

Apart from a few on-campus events that got out of hand i've never seen a scenario like the one above. Very odd, especially seen as they're advertising Tripod heavily on the radio. Would be bad business sense to treat customers like crap in the beginning.

Chakar wrote:
    There aren't any nights on by the societies in Barcode tomorrow night.Its like 21 is Lawsoc and Tramco is by another one.

Can't wait for tomorrow evening. :)

Yeah, but there'll be a huge UCD representation there, as there is most Thursdays, and it'll be a better night out than in either of the other clubs. If you want to go to an affiliated event for the sake of it then fire ahead, but you've been warned :D

. Would be bad business sense to treat customers like crap in the beginning.
    Usually good business to treat it like getting in is exclusive. Thin line some people may have been attempting?
    Or just screw ups

I was in tripod for the reopening, Grand Master Funk, twas grand, and run well.

Pity things didnt go well last night, who messed up what with the guest list isnt clear cut but the coat room can hardly be blamed on poor Holly.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she tries hard, but she needs to do something rapido before a huge financial calamity hits
    The president is ultimatly responsible for the running of the union, its events and its money. If [insert random officer] does something stupid that creates a huge loss the buck ultimately stops with the president.

The president is ultimatly responsible for the running of the union, its events and its money. If [insert random officer] does something stupid that creates a huge loss the buck ultimately stops with the president.

Yes but the Ents officer has the responsibility to manage Ents. She can't pass the buck by saying the President should control her ineptitude.

jimi_t wrote:
    Yeah, but there'll be a huge UCD representation there, as there is most Thursdays, and it'll be a better night out than in either of the other clubs. If you want to go to an affiliated event for the sake of it then fire ahead, but you've been warned :D

I will consider my position.:)

Well I think its preeeety safe to say the nightclubs will be jammed with UCD students, especially Tramco, 21 and apparently, Barcode.....fun wherever you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Walked past Tripod last night with a vague idea of getting in. The 'queue' was ridiculous, just a mash or random lines here and there. Night was almost a mess if it wasn't for the fact your beloved supermoderator Hullaballo was so drunk he couldn't finish a sentence without hiccuping for 4 times and falling over twice...lololozzzz1!!!1111one!!11!eleveN!!1!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Jebus, I only remember falling over the once. Most places in town have been jammers since Monday night. Absolutely no hope of getting into tripod last night at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I still can't quite get my head around queing and paying for clubs when you can waltz into a pub for free.

To each their own.

After Justice ents have my seal of approval. Some things got cocked up. It sucks, but at the end of the day, it's only ents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    your beloved supermoderator Hullaballo was so drunk he couldn't finish a sentence without hiccuping for 4 times and falling over twice...lololozzzz1!!!1111one!!11!eleveN!!1!

So cute...he hiccups when hes drunk!I though only girls did that!

I still can't quite get my head around queing and paying for clubs when you can waltz into a pub for free.

To each their own.

After Justice ents have my seal of approval. Some things got cocked up. It sucks, but at the end of the day, it's only ents.
    They forgot to account for the VAT on Justice. Filled to bar to capacity, and made a loss.

I thought it would stand to reason that you break even on events with high demand, or if it demand is highly price inelastic you make a little profit to subsidise other worthy ents thats arent as easily commercial.

To goal of the union isnt to make a profit, but with better management we could have more and bigger ents, campaigns and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

oh god i dont know if it was actually an event ran by UCD ents but im gonna say it anyway-
    Bondi last night was a mess!the night was ruined by having to cue every two seconds!noone i knew was hardly even drinking because the cue for the bar was soooo long!the dance was floor was just a mess too :( (and they mixed up my coat :( i handed in my 3 girls tickets and got handed back three clearly male jackets!*)

*and not even nice ones at that-oh the horror of it all....:eek:

still had a great night though :)
    barcode tonight woo!(beats the other venues ANYday!)

Bah and humbug.

Was at Bondi for a little before half eleven. Easily a thousand people milling around the parking lot, everyone I knew in South Dublin was queuing and there was no hope of getting in. Tried to sneak in twice, spidey sense was obviously off as the bouncers were having none of it. Even the fire escape had a queue up to it.

Down to Tripod for about quarter to twelve. queue of about 200 outside crawdaddys, barriers up at the entrance to Tripod and the bouncers were starting to get a little heavy-handed (no building site at the back for easy access like the old days of Redbox :D). Varied reports suggested that D2 and Copperface Jacks were completely swamped. A brisk Jog down Camden street .

Hit TramCo on the stroke of midnight. Spent about 5 minutes queueing and was 6 quid in with a student card. Bumped into just about everyone I knew involved in the Student Union but, asides from a few doing nursing/radiography, no one was in 1st year and the majority of patrons weren't in UCD. Poor enough overall. Drunken attempts were made to drag me back to a party in belgrove but that wasn't happen. Walked back to Ranelagh by way of a shopping trolley found outside the Swan centre and was in bed by 4 with a serious cough coming on.

Moral of the story : STICK TO FECKING HOUSEPARTIES! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Left Bondi after hour, disaster. Was at least 4/5 years older than everyone.

Sangre wrote:
    Left Bondi after hour, disaster. Was at least 4/5 years older than everyone.

Were you expecting anything else? Why didn't you try Cafe en Seine, the Odeon or Buck Whaleys? Even somewhere like Q Bar would have been an older crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

jimi_t wrote:

Moral of the story : STICK TO FECKING HOUSEPARTIES! :rolleyes:

so,SO true!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'll heartily recommend Cafe en Seine or Odeon, good crowd, nice ratio too :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

was at Tripod last nite, bouncers on some serious ego trips! kicking ppl out randomly for othing! one guy bouncer kicked out for supposedly pushing sum1, who was in fact about 10 meters from him at time1 made no sense! der was no way you could of mistaken it like! and inside was over packed to the point it as crap!!!

Advertisement