Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most efficient 200mph car?

Options
  • 20-12-2006 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

If one was to hypothetical race accross Europe , apart from traffic jams , petrol stops and finding petrol stations would take up a significant portion of time . Therefore I am wondering which car would be best choice for doing such a thing ie matches speed and mpg.

Although budget constraints rule out a Veyron , at 240 mph which you would probably never reach any way it runs of out petrol in 12mins.

Current favourite is the : 2007 Porsche 911 Coupe 3.6 GT3 2dr
    Do 193 mph and has an average mpg of 21.7 from a 20 gallon tank.

Bentley Continental GT Coupe 6.0 W12 2dr do rougly 200mph an average 16.4 mpg from a 19.8 gallon tank.

My initially favourite was the M5 but was disapponited limited to 155 mph and will do an average mpg of 19.1 from a small 15 gallon tank. Wonder if these figure match it it was unlimited?

Also the Monaro all though as a good out of town mpg its average mpg is 18.5 so crossed that off the list and its also wont do near 200mph.

Anyone got any recommendations??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

What about a derestricted Audi A8 4.0 TDI Twin Turbo - Capable of cruising at 155mph all day.....and can also manage nearly 30mpg (although not at 155mph I'm sure! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Assuming you were doing it flat out on motorways, my guess would be something like a BMW 320d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Im sure with a little tweaking the A8 would do close to 200mph... the thing is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Try a thirty year old classic instead (the diesel)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C111

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anan1 wrote:
    Assuming you were doing it flat out on motorways, my guess would be something like a BMW 320d.

Cant see it hitting 200mph unless it's falling off a cliff though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anan1 wrote:
    my guess would be something like a BMW 320d.
    :rolleyes:

Stekelly wrote:
    Cant see it hitting 200mph unless it's falling off a cliff though.
    Doing 200mph in any car is going to be slower than doing 140mph, given the increased need for fuel stops, driver fatigue, etc.

prospect wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    Think, Prospect. Even the most efficient of cars is going to get truly abysmal mpg at 200 mph, due to the sheer amount of energy required to sustain such speeds. This will necessitate fuel stops of such frequency that a car doing 140mph will, in the real world, get across Europe faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

The diesel wont get close to 200mph do the Audi A8 Saloon S8 V10 will and Audi A8 Saloon 6.0 W12 Quattro the S8 has average mpg of 20.9 which is good and the w12 has 20.2 average both from 20 gallon tanks.

Whats with the S8 being nearly 20,000 euro cheaper than the 6.0 w12 surely the V10 is the better option slightly faster to 0-60 aswell.

Yeah dont think the data is that accurate at that speed.

Anan1 wrote:
    Think, Prospect. Even the most efficient of cars is going to get truly abysmal mpg at 200 mph, due to the sheer amount of energy required to sustain such speeds. This will necessitate fuel stops of such frequency that a car doing 140mph will, in the real world, get across Europe faster.

Yes but the (hypothetical) question was doing 200mph, and disregarding stops, traffic etc. Its all there in the op.

By your reckoning, then the 320 wouldnt be the best as it's not the most fiuel efficient can in the world.

• Advertisement

Yeah a Mini Cooper can do 30.4 mpg at a constant 100 mph which has been tested so that better than a 320 d , i'll try the diesel data again maybe but again the orginal question was at to around 200 miles per hour?

Pitty they never produced the Merc C111 14.7mpg@ 195.4 miles per hour over 12 hours is very impressive.

Stekelly wrote:
    Yes but the (hypothetical) question was doing 200mph, and disregarding stops, traffic etc. Its all there in the op.
    The op didn't disregard fuel stops, it specifically included them.

Stekelly wrote:
    By your reckoning, then the 320 wouldnt be the best as it's not the most fiuel efficient can in the world.
    I don't know what is the speed that allows the quickest progress including fuel stops, and I also don't know what is the most efficient car (with the largest tank) at those speeds. My guess, though, is that a 320d driven at around 140mph is more likely to do it than any of the other cars mentioned so far.

Victor wrote:
    Ah, but is it a standard car or can you fit a 1000 litre fuel tank?

Now THAT would effect fuel economy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Victor wrote:

Its hypothetical so Actually yeah that is a good point , hypothetical you convert the boot of 200 mph standard car such as a flying spur and now your talking?

themessiah wrote:
    Its hypothetical so Actually yeah that is a good point , hypothetical you convert the boot of 200 mph standard car such as a flying spur and now your talking?

Hypothetical or not, it's be lucky to do 60mph with its arse imbedded in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not 200mph either but a Toyota Landspeed Prius has become the first production hybrid to race across the Bonneville Salt Flats, setting a hybrid speed record of 130.794
    A previous model, 04' Prius, had 60mpg city & 53mpg highway but I assume this is not as good being souped up and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It is rumoured that the Lexus LF-A supercar will have a hybrid version - makes sense, Toyota are heavily championing hybrid technology.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/24/lexus-planning-hybrid-supercar/

Mind you, I have my doubts about hybrids - lugging the weighty batteries around can't be good for economy and it would seem hybids have their biggest advantage in stop/start city driving.

Is there really a point in Hybrids if the same or better fuel economy can be got from diesels?

Plus, why did they make the Prius so ugly? It's like they didnt really want to sell any.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stekelly wrote:
    Hypothetical or not, it's be lucky to do 60mph with its arse imbedded in the ground.
    That depends. Strip out all the features, seats, etc. and you could possible save a few hundred kg on a larger car.

Also the tank won't be full the whole time

• Advertisement

themessiah wrote:
    Pitty they never produced the Merc C111 14.7mpg@ 195.4 miles per hour over 12 hours is very impressive.

Since it's all hypothetical, you could hypothetically nick one from the Daimler Benz museum :D

In twelve hours you would then cross 2344.8 miles (or a good stretch of Europe) and use 159 and a half gallons of fuel. You'd still need a biiiig hypothetical fuel tank though.

Somehow I think a small, 200mp/h capable plane would be more fuel efficient :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

biko wrote:
    Not 200mph either but a Toyota Landspeed Prius has become the first production hybrid to race across the Bonneville Salt Flats, setting a hybrid speed record of 130.794
    A previous model, 04' Prius, had 60mpg city & 53mpg highway but I assume this is not as good being souped up and all.
    I presume in both cases they didn't use the crappy 'green' tyres as shown on Top Gear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd have thought at towards 200mph any of these cars would be horrendously thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

If you take a mathematical example:
    Cherbourg to Warsaw (Poland) is 1174miles according to viamichelin.com:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/Driving_directions

Take the 2007 BMW 320d 62mpg motorway
    13.2 gallon tank, top speed 140mph

And the Porsche 911 3.6 Gt3 31.4mpg motorway
    20gallon tank, top speed 193mph

Figures from www.whatcar.co.uk

BMW is:
    1174/62mpg = 18.9gallons (1 tank refill)

1174/140mph = 8.38hours (1 diesel stop required)

Porsche is:

1174/31.4mpg = 37.3gallons (1 tank refill just!)
    1174/193mph = 6.08hours (1 petrol stop required)

Now trying to keep the constant 193mph/31.4mpg across Europe in a Porsche is impossible

And if both cars were averaging 100mph, the fuel consumption would be more on the Porsche than the BMW so therefore the BMW would win.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Take the 2007 BMW 320d 62mpg motorway
    And the Porsche 911 3.6 Gt3 31.4mpg motorway

Err ...those "mpg at motorway speed" figures would be according to DIN/ISO soandso ...measured at 120km/h per hour :D:D:D

Nowayjoze will either of these cars give you even half the mpg at top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

peasant wrote:
    Err ...those "mpg at motorway speed" figures would be according to DIN/ISO soandso ...measured at 120km/h per hour :D:D:D

Yes agreed, but the mathematical example is merely that, mathematical, not practical, as i said "Now trying to keep the constant 193mph/31.4mpg across Europe in a Porsche is impossible"

peasant wrote:

Top speed in the porsche you would be well into a single figure mpg reading.

Advertisement